Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    9 times
    For an interesting view of the Battle from a wider perspective (particularly the view of Luftwaffe operations and their objectives), I can recommend Richard Overy's The Bombing War, Europe 1939-1945 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bombing-War-...he+bombing+war. He points out that the Luftwaffe set out to engage in a classic counterforce campaign, and the Blitz was, to the Luftwaffe, just a continuation of this, and was designed to attack the docks and supplies of the enemy.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    For an interesting view of the Battle from a wider perspective (particularly the view of Luftwaffe operations and their objectives), I can recommend Richard Overy's The Bombing War, Europe 1939-1945 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bombing-War-...he+bombing+war. He points out that the Luftwaffe set out to engage in a classic counterforce campaign, and the Blitz was, to the Luftwaffe, just a continuation of this, and was designed to attack the docks and supplies of the enemy.
    If they had continued attacking the airfields until they had destroyed any hope of resistance they could have attacked the docks and supplies at their leisure.
    As the film points out, switching the attack to London was a big mistake that gave the RAF a chance to recover

Steve

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Had "they" defeated the RAF, there would have been no subsequent need to attack the docks and supplies; the enemy would have wished to use the former to bring in their war materiele. The army had been seriously depleted in arms and equipment after the retreat from Dunkirk and it is hypothetical to conjure whether they would have been able to contain the invaders. I'm pretty certain the Royal Navy though, would not have given the Nazi invasion fleet an easy crossing of the Channel. At that time I was an ardent disciple of "The Wizard" comic and "Rockfist Rogan" of the RAF would certainly have smashed the heinous Luftwaffe single handed!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I understand Maurice Binder did alternative title sequences for the film.
    Ta Ta
    Marky B

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    I also believe that there was only one running time. During my time at Pinewood I saw many reels run through post production and final mixing (It was a mono mix as there seems to be rumours that a stereo mix was done. This film was mixed in the stereo dubbing theatre #2, however). I then saw it in London at its opening at the Dominion Theatre, Tottenham Court Road. Then, many times on various video formats and it always looked the same to me. Although a longer broadcast tv version is possible as this has happened before eg. "SUPERMAN" (1978).
    I was under the impression that Ian McShane's role was shortened considerably.
    When I was working on the production of "TAM-LIN", Ian McShane walked past me on the day after the premiere, of which he attended, and I asked him how the premiere went. He retorted with a stern "HUH!". So I guessed from his reaction that he was not in any way happy with the way his contribution finished up in the film.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678