Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    I recall love for 'Pinnochio' & 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' when I was five y/o... and I remember thinking I was entering a whole new world of adult self-reflexive art film when I saw 'Barton Fink' as an 11 y/o, but the one cinematic experience that shocked me into full-time film mania, was my exposure to Nic Roeg's debut, 'Walkabout', as a rich delight in my pre-pubescent formative education, which soon led me to discover such surrealist and impressionistic film landscapes as 'Eyes without a Face', 'The Long Day Closes', and the work of Tran Anh Hung, Abbas Kiarostami, Hou Hsaio-hsien, Alain Resnais, Vera Chytilova, Auturo Ripstein, Manoel de Oliveira, Kon Ichikawai, Nanni Moretti, et alia ( aka - the world's most marvellous filmmakers)***** Bless and preserve Mr. Roeg, who helped lead me to such fine things! And he's also, bytheby, the maker of my most fiercely defended,favorite underappreciated gem - 'Cold Heaven': a better film than the reveared "Don't Look Now", and a neccesary forward step (and required viewing) to the potential greatness of his forthcoming 'Adina', I would dare to speculate. I would dare to dream, hope....

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Great to see that this outstanding film, which rates in my top five, is getting a showing on 5 tomorrow afternoon.

Not quite my Number One film, but it is certainly the most beautifully shot and can be interpreted in so many different ways.

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I would have Walkabout down as my number 2 or 3. I do not think I have ever seen film that is more hypnotic. It leaves many questions unanswered, one of which is 'Has Jenny ever looked hotter than she does in this film?'. Since she only plays schoolgirl I often feel depraved since I am filled by sinful lust when I watch it. At what stage of her career do you think it becomes acceptable to covet her wanton charms?

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    'Has Jenny ever looked hotter than she does in this film?'.
    Given that she was lost in the great Australian desert..... I think you can safely assume she was indeed very, very, very hot......

Whatever happened to the Aboriginal guy who looked after her? Did he go on to be one of Boney's mates? Or was he left behind with Donk after Crocodile Mick headed North?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Whatever happened to the Aboriginal guy who looked after her? Did he go on to be one of Boney's mates? Or was he left behind with Donk after Crocodile Mick headed North?
    Still working. See his IMDb listing

And he did go on to be one of Boney's mates in the 1972 TV series and he was in Crocodile Dundee. He was the one that told Sue

Neville: Oh no, you can't take my photograph.

Sue: Oh, I'm sorry, you believe it will take your spirit away?

Neville: No, you got a lens-cap on.

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    and he was in Crocodile Dundee. He was the one that told Sue

Neville: Oh no, you can't take my photograph.

Sue: Oh, I'm sorry, you believe it will take your spirit away?

Neville: No, you got a lens-cap on. Steve
    Corks!!

You'll think I'm just making this up but I have always thought the guy's voice was the same one...... But dismissed the idea because the Crocodile guy didn't seem old enough...... Teach me to go with my instincts and check out the Credits. He must have been very young in Walkabout.

No need to answer..... I'm imdb bound......

Liked
    0 times
    I love the way in which language is the least important element in the film; words are used sparingly, and mostly as ironic commentary on the story un-folding before our eyes ...

Liked
    36 times
    Following on from the query in the Christmas film thread it made me think that there are a number of perennials. I thought I'd start a thread on those queries [with the correct answer] that seem to come up regularly here and on similar sites.

Here's my starter:

1. How old was Jenny when Walkabout was filmed? Filmed Aug-Dec 1969 when she was 16.

Liked
    0 times
    19 yrs ? I'd have thought being that there was a nude scene.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Those were different times, Frank63!

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank63
    19 yrs ? I'd have thought being that there was a nude scene.

Jenny was definitely only 16 at the time, she confirmed those dates to me when we discussed the filming. She had originally been cast at 14 but there were delays so that filming took place in the months up to her seventeenth birthday.

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I think its filming may have been even slightly eariler though because on her Walkabout commentary she says filming clashed with her O-Level exams, but she was definitely 16 - I went to her NMPFT interview and she talked at some detail about Walkabout's troubled production.

Liked
    36 times
    Five - 1.00pm

A chance to see a truly magnificent film and one of my top three. Superbly shot in the Australian Outback, the meeting and misunderstanding of two cultures in a coming of age story.

And Jenny - WOW! A school uniform will never look better!

Even if it is the Disney version, it is still thoroughly recommended.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    I've just watched Walkabout on dvd and was blown away by it.

excellent stuff.

However, I am intrigued by the message at the end which appears on screen after the credits:

Rien ne va plus.

What does this mean and which language is it in?

Does the text feature in the original James vance Marshall novel?

I'm intrigued and would love to hear back from someone who may be able to elaborate.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    French for "nothing more" or "it's all over now"

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Isn't that what croupiers say when the ball is spinning in the roulette wheel?

Nick

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Isn't that what croupiers say when the ball is spinning in the roulette wheel?
    Yes, in that case it means "no more bets", or "the die (singular of dice) is cast"

Literally "Nothing goes any more"

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I've just watched Walkabout on dvd and was blown away by it.

excellent stuff.

However, I am intrigued by the message at the end which appears on screen after the credits:

Rien ne va plus.

What does this mean and which language is it in?

Does the text feature in the original James vance Marshall novel?

I'm intrigued and would love to hear back from someone who may be able to elaborate.
    The roulette connection is right, because it ties in with the moment at the start of the film when during the opening titles (just as the shot moves from the cave painting to the modern brick wall) the random tuning of a radio gives way to a voice saying (approximately!) "Faites vos jeux, messieurs et dames, s'il vous plait" which translates as "Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen, please", this phrase being uttered at the start of the spin of a roulette wheel, and "Rien ne va plus" when the ball is released to signify "no more bets".

One interpretation of this being that at the start of the film the girl has the chance of a different life but by the end we see her back in "civilisation" having made her choice, hence "no more bets".

Like all Nic Roeg films, WALKABOUT works on many levels and requires numerous viewings just to start unlocking them...

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    aren't u a clever lot!

thanks 1 and all.

Liked
    0 times
    Bleach2's post elsewhere reminded me of Walkabout which I hadn't watched for some time. Dug the dvd out last night and watched it.

Mesmirisingly beautiful in so many respects - it can be watched on many levels. Thoroughly recommended.

Shortly after watching it, I saw that it is being shown on Channel 5 next Sunday but I expect that will be the butchered version.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast