Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    I've been going round in circles trying to find the Criterion blu-ray version of Walkabout - it was released in the States a couple of years ago.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    I'm pretty certain that the aboriginal boy in "Walkabout", is the same actor who plays the tracker in "Rabbit Proof Fence".............

Both outstanding films......

Cheers

Sgt S

Liked
    36 times
    The Criterion site doesn't list one

Steve
    Yes, I saw that - but another site does list it as a Criterion release:

IGN: Walkabout (The Criterion Collection) Blu-ray

I'll probably end up contacting them direct for an answer.

PS Yes, Sgt - 2 excellent films.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times

The link from there lists Walkabout in a list of titles that Criterion have announced that they are planning, not that they have released.

That list was announced in May 2008 but it does sometimes take them more than a year to get a title together and sometimes titles are announced but then never released

Stve

Liked
    0 times

PS Yes, Sgt - 2 excellent films.

And it's not actually listed on the Criterion site under their blu-ray releases, so it looks like it didn't happen. Not yet, anyway...

As Jenny's number one fan, maybe you can consol yourself with a copy of the French DVD release (if you don't already have it) as it features an exclusive 20-minute 2008 interview with Jenny...

And if you do already have it - what's the interview like? (In English we presume?!?)

Liked
    36 times
    And it's not actually listed on the Criterion site under their blu-ray releases, so it looks like it didn't happen. Not yet, anyway...

As Jenny's number one fan, maybe you can consol yourself with a copy of the French DVD release (if you don't already have it) as it features an exclusive 20-minute 2008 interview with Jenny...

I'd read of that in the latest edition of Senses of Cinema [Issue 51, July 2009] and it was that which reminded me of the Blury version - in fact, it wasn't too clear whether or not that was the edition they meant.

And if you do already have it - what's the interview like? (In English we presume?!?)
    I don't yet but I shall soon - and I'll find out directly what the interview was like

Liked
    36 times

Just ordered the French DVD release. Jenny confirmed that it was a new interview especially for it but didn't say if it was in English and I don't like to bother her again just yet. If it's not, I'll have a good excuse to brush up my French.

Liked
    0 times
    I've loved this film for as long as I can remember. Of course I also love Jenny in 'The Railway Children', but her 1969 film 'I Start Counting' is another Brit classic that really needs to be released.

Liked
    36 times
    I've loved this film for as long as I can remember. Of course I also love Jenny in 'The Railway Children', but her 1969 film 'I Start Counting' is another Brit classic that really needs to be released.

Yes, she had a quartet of excellent films around 1970 - there is a retrospective review of ISC here:

I Start Counting (1969)

Have some further comments regarding Walkabout once I've received the new French version and heard her interview for it.

Liked
    0 times
    The Criterion site doesn't list one

Steve
    Walkabout (1971) - The Criterion Collection

I know Roeg is a Brit filmaker, but the Aussie critics took against the film originally because it highlighted ( in a very subdued manner) a kind of cultural racism. The film was '71, and Roeg had European eyes and sensibilities. As he said they filmed off the hoof, reacted to what they saw and improvised.

This is one of my favourite films, and even though the Aussies paid for it, it was to me a Brit film.

John Barry did the music after all.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Yes, but that's just the regular Criterion DVD - if a Criterion DVD can ever be described as "regular". That's been available for some years. They were asking about a rumoured Blu-Ray release

Steve

Liked
    36 times
    Walkabout (1971) - The Criterion Collection
    I know Roeg is a Brit filmaker, but the Aussie critics took against the film originally because it highlighted ( in a very subdued manner) a kind of cultural racism. The film was '71, and Roeg had European eyes and sensibilities. As he said they filmed off the hoof, reacted to what they saw and improvised.

I'm not sure whether you are saying the Aussie critics were against it because it highlighted a subdued kind of cultural racism that did exist at that time or because such racism did not actually exist.

From what I remember, the indigenous population was treated pretty badly at the time - not that I'm claiming for one moment that things were perfect in the UK for minorities.

Perhaps some of our Aussie members could comment.

Liked
    0 times
    Can't say that I really understood Walkabout apart from 'would the (so-called) civilized be effectively indoctrinated to revert back to being primitive?

Must say though, Jenny took a big chance swimming in the nude with the native chap around (nothing racial!). Not that I am moaning of course.

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Strange girl. Most teenage girls would rather die before stripping off in front of their younger brother too.

Liked
    36 times
    I do remember the initial version and found it very erotic as a youngster!

Can't say that I really understood Walkabout apart from 'would the (so-called) civilized be effectively indoctrinated to revert back to being primitive?
    Walkabout should be seen as allegorical: the meeting/clash/misunderstanding [take your pick] of two cultures rather than between "civilised" and "primitive" societies. The clash/misunderstading is more on the side of the girl than the boy since he, quite clearly from other scenes in the film, has contact with western civilisation. There are a number of interesting articles on Walkabout to be found on the sensesofcinema website -an excellent site anyway!

Search results - Senses of Cinema

Must say though, Jenny took a big chance swimming in the nude with the native chap around (nothing racial!). Not that I am moaning of course.
    I'm not sure that the girl was taking "much of a chance" since we can probably assume that she knew he was off hunting. In any case, after the heat of the Outback, it would have been quite natural for her to go swimming and the alternative would have been in her underwear which would have been almost as alluring.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Fell. I find nothing to complain about with nudity (i.e, naturism) a very healthy ideal although Ms. Bardot now complains about the French beaches having opened them herself to nude swimming!

If Jenny was sure the chap was 'off hunting' all is fine although he might have been totally respectful too, who knows. Swimming in underwear would have made no difference anyway - chance wise.

Liked
    36 times
    Thanks Fell. I find nothing to complain about with nudity (i.e, naturism) a very healthy ideal
    Somehow I didn't think you would have!

If Jenny was sure the chap was 'off hunting' all is fine although he might have been totally respectful too, who knows. Swimming in underwear would have made no difference anyway - chance wise.
    My gut feeling is that the girl was not in any actual "danger" from the boy at any time during the film - not even during the "mating" dance - though she was clearly frightened during that incident.

I've now got the new French release of Walkabout and will have to listen to the interview she gives on that to see if I can learn anything new - another extra is a film of David Gumpilil

Liked
    0 times
    Fell, I do suggest she may have been in more danger from the camera crews (I do like a little Joke - 'and that was a little joke' (Ernie Wise)

Liked
    0 times
    Jokes aside, I do seem to remember hearing that Jenny would only swim naked if the camera crew and everyone else weren't present at the time.

So I guess the camera's were set up and left rolling then?

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    You should read Louis Nowra's book on Walkabout if you haven't already. It offers invaluable insight into it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast