Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    You should read Louis Nowra's book on Walkabout if you haven't already. It offers invaluable insight into it.
    Or the commentary on the Criterion dvd. Hopefully, I may also learn something new from the French dvd.

I suspect that had her chaperone [her mother] been able to stay for all the filming, that scene would have been very different.

Liked
    36 times
    Criterion Blu-Ray edition due for release on 18 May.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Criterion Blu-Ray edition due for release on 18 May.
    Now advertised in the Criterion Catalogue

They're still talking about 18 May as the release date

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, made from a newly minted 35 mm interpositive and approved by director Nicolas Roeg (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)

* Audio commentary featuring Roeg and actress Jenny Agutter

* Video interviews with Agutter and actor Luc Roeg

* Gulpilil—One Red Blood (2002), an hour-long documentary on the life and career of actor David Gulpilil

* Theatrical trailer

* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by author Paul Ryan

Available on DVD and Blu-Ray

Steve

Liked
    36 times
    Now advertised in the Criterion Catalogue

They're still talking about 18 May as the release date

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, made from a newly minted 35 mm interpositive and approved by director Nicolas Roeg (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)

* Audio commentary featuring Roeg and actress Jenny Agutter

* Video interviews with Agutter and actor Luc Roeg

* Gulpilil—One Red Blood (2002), an hour-long documentary on the life and career of actor David Gulpilil

* Theatrical trailer

* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by author Paul Ryan

Available on DVD and Blu-Ray

Steve
    Unfortunately, it would appear that for the moment only a Blu-Ray Region A version is available

The DVD seems virtually identical to the French release that came out last year and of which I already have two copies - one a gift

Liked
    418 times
    Unfortunately, it would appear that for the moment only a Blu-Ray Region A version is available
    Isn't that normal for Criterion?

Their DVDs are region 1 and their Blu-Rays are region A

Steve

Liked
    36 times
    Isn't that normal for Criterion?

Their DVDs are region 1 and their Blu-Rays are region A

Steve
    My earlier Criterion DVD of Walkabout plays just fine on my Region 2 DVD recorder.

Though I think it is almost immoral, I can understand the logic for making DVDs region locked when film releases occur in the US long before the rest of the world but why on earth when releasing a forty year old film in Blu-Ray?

Liked
    418 times
    name='Fellwanderer']My earlier Criterion DVD of Walkabout plays just fine on my Region 2 DVD recorder.

Though I think it is almost immoral, I can understand the logic for making DVDs region locked when film releases occur in the US long before the rest of the world but why on earth when releasing a forty year old film in Blu-Ray?
    A few of the earlier Criterion DVD are region 0 and will play in any machine.

But I agree, the whole region coding thing is immoral and of dubious legality. It's a restraint against free trade and all the countries involved have signed things like the GATT agreement which is supposed to support free trade.

That's why I had no compunction about getting my DVD player "chipped" so that it just ignores all region coding.

If I ever bothered with Blu-Ray I would only do so if I could do the same thing with the player for that

Steve

Liked
    36 times
    I find it very difficult to say for certain which is my favourite film but today I definitely watched my favourite DVD since Jenny gave it to me as a birthday present!

Walkabout gets even more beautiful and tantalisingly evocative each time I watch it and I always find something new in it. This was the French release from last summer and it includes a delightful commentary by Jenny, made even more delightful as one gets to see as well as hear her.

Liked
    36 times
    Anyone going to see Walkabout at the BFI? It is being screened several times in March.

Hoping to be there myself - of course!

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer View Post
    My earlier Criterion DVD of Walkabout plays just fine on my Region 2 DVD recorder.

It's just perverse and annoying, especially for old films which have no chance of being released in other regions. I can understand it a bit for newer titles I suppose - but it just encourages those titles to be pirated anyway!

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I opt for Criterion's Walkabout and The Red Shoes too, but I bought them when there was virtually nothing out on Region 2. Blu-Ray Walkabout is tempting me to upgrade to blu-ray, but I am trying to resisting buying Blu-ray player until I need to replace my DVD player. I would only re-buy handful of my DVD so it is not economical to upgrade just for one film. If my player holds out and I can move straight on to Walkabout 3D.

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    I opt for Criterion's Walkabout and The Red Shoes too, but I bought them when there was virtually nothing out on Region 2.
    I think the Walkabout French version from 2009 is better than the Criterion one.

Blu-Ray Walkabout is tempting me to upgrade to blu-ray, but I am trying to resisting buying Blu-ray player until I need to replace my DVD player. I would only re-buy handful of my DVD so it is not economical to upgrade just for one film.
    It's only Blu-Ray Walkabout that would make me upgrade so it looks like I'll have to make sure it's a recorder which can be chipped.

If my player holds out and I can move straight on to Walkabout 3D.
    3D is lost on me, I'm afraid, so I won't be going down that route - unless it is the only option!

Liked
    9 times
    I bought Walkabout in 1999/2000 I think, and I think that was only version out back then. Unfortunately it is not anamorphic either (I think their new DVD release is though), but you did get Jenny's commentary which was actually my main reason rather than quality for upgrading.

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    I bought Walkabout in 1999/2000 I think, and I think that was only version out back then. Unfortunately it is not anamorphic either (I think their new DVD release is though), but you did get Jenny's commentary which was actually my main reason rather than quality for upgrading.
    The French version has a new interview with Jenny

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer View Post
    3D is lost on me, I'm afraid, so I won't be going down that route - unless it is the only option!
    3D is just the latest gimmick. It's been tried before a few times and was quickly forgotten. This latest 3D technology isn't much better than the previous attempts. Most things still look very flat and layered and they still feel they have to justify the technology by throwing things towards the audience.

It adds nothing to the quality of the image

Steve

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    3D is just the latest gimmick. It's been tried before a few times and was quickly forgotten. This latest 3D technology isn't much better than the previous attempts. Most things still look very flat and layered and they still feel they have to justify the technology by throwing things towards the audience.
    In my case it is a vision problem that means it will always look somewhat flat

It adds nothing to the quality of the image

Indeed - one can't improve on perfection

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    12 times
    I'm getting in a Walkabout mood in anticipation of the March 5th screening at the NFT (with Jenny Agutter and Luc Roeg attending) and I was wondering about an aspect of the film which I haven't seen analysed.

At the beginning a voice says "Faites vos jeux, monsieurs, dames s'il vous plait", and at the end a title comes up which reads "rien ne va plus".

I must admit it took several viewings of the film before I even noticed these, probably because the volume of the voiceover is quite low and the closing title is probably chopped off from many TV (and even cinema) prints.

Any theories on what it means?

My best guess is that the girl (and by implication, all humanity) is presented (in very simplistic terms) with a choice of leading a life in some sort of harmony with nature or a more artificial materialist urban existence. Before the film starts she can still "place a bet" on what she wants but at the end she's made her choice, all bets are off and she can only dream about the paradise she might have lost.

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Davies View Post
    I'm getting in a Walkabout mood in anticipation of the March 5th screening at the NFT (with Jenny Agutter and Luc Roeg attending) and I was wondering about an aspect of the film which I haven't seen analysed.

At the beginning a voice says "Faites vos jeux, monsieurs, dames s'il vous plait", and at the end a title comes up which reads "rien ne va plus".

I must admit it took several viewings of the film before I even noticed these, probably because the volume of the voiceover is quite low and the closing title is probably chopped off from many TV (and even cinema) prints.
    Be intersting to see how it is treated at the BFI. I found an old TV recording and the voiceover was clear, if somewhat quiet. Unfortunately, the last few minutes was missing so couldn't confirm whether or not the final line appears over the credits.

Any theories on what it means?

My best guess is that the girl (and by implication, all humanity) is presented (in very simplistic terms) with a choice of leading a life in some sort of harmony with nature or a more artificial materialist urban existence. Before the film starts she can still "place a bet" on what she wants but at the end she's made her choice, all bets are off and she can only dream about the paradise she might have lost.
    Jenny makes the point in her interview for the French version that there was no way the girl was going to become part of the boy's life. I suppose many of us look back on seminal points in our lives when things might have changed and perhaps see them through rose-tinted glasses. Had she the chance again, would she have acted differently? We'll never know.

Liked
    9 times
    I don't think Walkabout is that type of film though; "natural living" is not presented as some sort of romantic ideal. There is one scene which is particularly striking, when David Gulpilil slaughters lots of animals — far more than all three of them could eat — and it is offset against white hunters doing something similar: their lifestyles are thousands of years apart but their behaviour is not; environments do not really alter human nature, they are both wasteful of their resources. Newton does something similar in The Man Who Fell to Earth; his world is barren and when he first comes to Earth he regards water as extremely precious but gradually begins to waste it. Nicolas Roeg seems to hold very few "romantic" notions in his work. Walkabout seems to say nothing really changes: thousands of years ago man is still wasteful, still chasing skirt, and still getting depressed and killing himself.

Liked
    36 times
    A truly great film, and Walkabout is a truly great film, is not only great in its totality but also has a profound effect on its viewers in two ways (IMO):

i) every viewing can bring something new or a different twist to a scene;

ii) every viewer is made to think and interpret it according to their own philosophy and understanding of the world.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast