Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I think it's Jenny's best film, and Nicolas Roeg's best after Don't Look Now.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    I think it's Jenny's best film,
    A difficult call but I wouldn't argue with anyone who thought that and for the moment I have it as my favourite film - British or otherwise!

and Nicolas Roeg's best after Don't Look Now.
    Only seen that once and I just didn't like it. I thought Walkabout was much better - but then, I'm biased

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    12 times
    I don't think Walkabout is that type of film though; "natural living" is not presented as some sort of romantic ideal. There is one scene which is particularly striking, when David Gulpilil slaughters lots of animals � far more than all three of them could eat � and it is offset against white hunters doing something similar: their lifestyles are thousands of years apart but their behaviour is not; environments do not really alter human nature, they are both wasteful of their resources. Newton does something similar in The Man Who Fell to Earth; his world is barren and when he first comes to Earth he regards water as extremely precious but gradually begins to waste it. Nicolas Roeg seems to hold very few "romantic" notions in his work. Walkabout seems to say nothing really changes: thousands of years ago man is still wasteful, still chasing skirt, and still getting depressed and killing himself.
    Good points there. But I'm not sure that the two men killed themselves for similar reasons. It's never really explained but I get the impression that the father killed himself because he was bored and disgusted with his general way of life. In one shot he seems to be alienated and (visually) almost crushed by the concrete buildings around him. There's also a hint that he's having a middle age sexual crisis judging by the way he looks at his attractive daughter.

The aborigine's suicide is also not explained but I got the impression it was caused by two factors - firstly the girl's rejection of his advances, and secondly his envy of the white hunters' power. He's on walkabout to prove his manhood by living off the land but the men with guns can kill animals much more easily than he can and (by implication) can feed the white women more efficiently than he can.

At the end Jenny seems distinctly unenthusiastic about her husband's promotion, possibly suspecting that he'll end up as bored and depressed as her father. She loses herself in a fantasy of an ideal family in harmony with nature, though I agree it's a very idealised fantasy based on a sanitised version of her experience in the outback.

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Davies View Post
    Good points there. But I'm not sure that the two men killed themselves for similar reasons. It's never really explained but I get the impression that the father killed himself because he was bored and disgusted with his general way of life. In one shot he seems to be alienated and (visually) almost crushed by the concrete buildings around him. There's also a hint that he's having a middle age sexual crisis judging by the way he looks at his attractive daughter.

The aborigine's suicide is also not explained but I got the impression it was caused by two factors - firstly the girl's rejection of his advances, and secondly his envy of the white hunters' power. He's on walkabout to prove his manhood by living off the land but the men with guns can kill animals much more easily than he can and (by implication) can feed the white women more efficiently than he can.

At the end Jenny seems distinctly unenthusiastic about her husband's promotion, possibly suspecting that he'll end up as bored and depressed as her father. She loses herself in a fantasy of an ideal family in harmony with nature, though I agree it's a very idealised fantasy based on a sanitised version of her experience in the outback.
    The lack of clear explanation for both deaths adds to the greatness of the film - we, the viewers, are forced to make our own interpretation of these events.

Liked
    36 times
    I'm getting in a Walkabout mood in anticipation of the March 5th screening at the NFT (with Jenny Agutter and Luc Roeg attending)
    I can confirm that Jenny will be attending as she's just asked me put a note about the Nic Roeg retrospective and the discussion after Saturday's showing of Walkabout on her website News Page.

Liked
    9 times
    Couldn't find any Nic Roeg tpoics on Britmovie, so I will stick this up here: Nicolas Roeg: 'I don't want to be ahead of my time' | Film | The Guardian

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    Couldn't find any Nic Roeg tpoics on Britmovie, so I will stick this up here: Nicolas Roeg: 'I don't want to be ahead of my time' | Film | The Guardian
    I'm a huge fan. His first five films especially are classics imo.

He's one of a handful of living directors that I'd love to shake hands with and say, "You're a genius." (Mike Leigh and Terry Malick are some others) Not that he hasn't heard it before.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    It has been a long time since I watched this movie and that it was one of the most thought provoking masterpieces of all time and starring our own 'English Rose' Jenny Agutter. I remember several years terrestrial TV showed this movie early in the evening UNCUT! and there were a few complaints. But the complaints weren't so much for Jenny being naked but for the fact that she was naked in front of a child. I agree that this shoudn't have been the case but as the director pointed out "there ain't a lot of things you can hide behind, in a desert' I thought aborigine lad played an excellent part too

Loved Jenny in most of the movies..not seen her play any part badly yet

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Loved this film as I said earlier in my thread. Desperate to that my daughter watches it in one piece - as I did on TV - and not butchered by commercial breaks and sponsorship nods...
    ...always thought it has such a wonderfully fantastic dream-like quality about the whole middle section of the film, and because of that personified with it so much in that in another world I fantasise the girl and the boy could be my elder sister and me. So glad they are clearly 1960s Brits....although having said that, its clear that Dad is an Aussie - never thought of that contradiction until right now. Who cares, still Roeg's most beautiful film.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    10 times
    I've always regarded the closing narration, coupled with John Barry's perfect score, as one of the finest marriages of music, visuals and spoken word.

An undeniable masterpiece.

Poppy.

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    At the beginning a voice says "Faites vos jeux, monsieurs, dames s'il vous plait", and at the end a title comes up which reads "rien ne va plus".
    I emailed IMDb with the meaning of this, but they didn't post it. These are the terms the roulette croupier uses - the first to indicate that bets can now be made, the latter to indicate no more bets. That is FACT (check with any roulette site). My OPINION would be that Roeg is making the point that life is a gamble.

That's not the actual literal translation of the terms though. Literally, the first means "make your play/game", which could suggest an existentialist viewpoint (supported by the characters not having names, just described as "white boy", "black boy" and "the girl"), that the characters are simply playing roles (note how the school uniforms stand up on their own during the end credits as if they have a life of their own). The later literally translates as "nothing comes after this" or "nothing more happens" suggesting that the girl has ceased to grow. It could also suggest that the meaning of the work is to be found within itself, and not to be imported from outside (so that the girl's vision of the three of them naked & swimming is NOT a memory, as we never see it happen and the interaction between boy and girl clearly shows she would never be at ease naked in front of him, but a daydream of hers, ironically counterpointing her husband's comment about holidaying on the gold coast).

This is my favourite film.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by agutterfan View Post
    This is my favourite film.
    Mine too!
    Thanks for the information.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    resize.jpg

David Gulpilil has just been sentenced to 12 months imprisonment (reduced to 5 months for time served) for

beating his wife with a broom handle!

Liked
    9 times
    What do you expect, she was never going to live up to Jenny!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    resize.jpg

David Gulpilil has just been sentenced to 12 months imprisonment (reduced to 5 months for time served) for

beating his wife with a broom handle!
    An innocent man!!

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    That's a shame : (

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Pickard View Post

Courtesy of the great Stephen Pickard. Good on you.

Senior Member Country: England Nakke's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I have to admit I never understood this film, perhaps I need to revisit it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345