Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Third Man

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    "Moral confusion coupled with a devious plot" captures Graham Greene's writing in a nutshell.

Heathcliff
    I love this film, I don't think it is British. Wasn't it filmed in Vienna? Oh well, great classic film. Wonderful and dark... I like this much better than Citizin Kane, which I never understood what all the fuss was about.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I watched it last week,but this time really appreciating what an excellent film it is. Good use of locations,local people (I still laugh at the baloon seller,try to sell some to Trevor Howard and Bernard Lee,with the latter buying one get rid of him),the darkness and shadows and of course the music.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    (Gibbie @ Jan 9 2004, 12:25 AM)

This certainly is one of the all time movie greats. Also, I would list this as the first cold war film. Everyone fit perfectly.
    It certainly is full of twists to a very well put together tail.

Liked
    0 times
    I've loved this film for decades but only recently have I discovered the 50-odd radio shows that Orson Welles put together a few years after the film took off.

The series is generally titled "Harry Lime: Third Man" or "Adventures Of Harry Lime, the Third Man".

30 minute episodes. True public domain, although there are BBC-editions which are copyrighted but exact duplicates of the American genuine public-domain versions.

The radio episodes are all prequels to the film - set in pre-WWII Europe or perhaps in 1946-47 Europe. He's still the scoundrel in each episode, but he's not the Worst Scoundrel. Harry's trying to get the money, the jewels, the loot - and sometimes he does, and sometimes he ends up turning it over to the authorities along with the Worst Scoundrels of the episode.

Wonderful stuff. Highly recommended. Old-Time-Radio MP3s are usually encoded in the 24k to 32k range - fairly poor by music standards, but spoken-word recordings are often done with this low-fidelity setting.

Liked
    0 times
    I remember as a teen listening to old radio shows. One of my favorites was "Harry Lime" (another was "The Scarlet Pimperel"). You could almost see the wet cobblestoned streets and misty fog. I'm going to see about getting copies of it.

I got a copy of Third Man out of the library a while back that allowed you to watch the British version (I believe it's put out by Criterion) and switch to the American version. I must say that I liked Reed's world-weary introduction much better. It more suits the feel of the entire film, whichever version you watch.

Liked
    0 times
    I have the it on dvd!

I also have the movie version of "Sunset boulevard" with william holden anyone see that?

that's a very good movie to sit and watch

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dar111
    Greene originally conceived of locating The Third Man in London but producer Korda had money tied up in Austria which he could use if he shot in Vienna. Film, a collaborative medium.
    that's good to know

Senior Member Country: Vietnam hankoler's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    I loved this film, but for me the everlasting memory when first mentioned is the music. Does anyone know who the musician was?

Liked
    0 times
    Anton Karas... here's his IMDB biog...

Anton Karas

Member Country: Croatia
    Liked
    0 times
    I think Karas also played the zither in the movie.

I remember seeing it in a dark, small cinema on the Ring in Vienna. Pity smoking was already banned in public places, swirling fume was the only thing missing for the unmistakable feeling. A photographic stroll through classic Vienna with The Third Man walking tour? You can have that as well afterwards! It's really like having two children, The Third Man and Billy Wilder. It's Austrian contribution to the world cinema. (Austria) Being such a barren parent, who could have the heart to take them away?

Liked
    0 times
    Ljelja, this film is one of a comparatively small handful where music is so integrated, yet I never considered this "Viennese" music. Do you? I have always thought the zither was more Greek or at least Mediterranean/Aegean instrument.

But this film is a study of so many "ex-patriots" or "strangers in a strange land", and the music is a great fit into this tale.

It is my understanding that Karas did perform this soundtrack on the recordings.

I should probably start a thread in the FILM MUSIC section to see if you've found your area's films to be particularly expressive for its own historic music.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    A great film - so atmospheric, with great location filming in Vienna. Contains my favourite moment in cinema, when Joseph Cotton's character sees Harry Lime for the first time in light from a window - Welles' expression is matchless - perfect. Welles also gave one of his best performances in the film, and busked his role. The diatribe against the stability of Switzerland versus the turbulance of Italy is wonderful.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljelja
    I think Karas also played the zither in the movie.

I remember seeing it in a dark, small cinema on the Ring in Vienna. Pity smoking was already banned in public places, swirling fume was the only thing missing for the unmistakable feeling. A photographic stroll through classic Vienna with The Third Man walking tour? You can have that as well afterwards! It's really like having two children, The Third Man and Billy Wilder. It's Austrian contribution to the world cinema. (Austria) Being such a barren parent, who could have the heart to take them away?

I thought that Austria only gave us the cuckoo clock, or was that Switzerland?

(actually that came from Germany in the Black Forest)

The walking tour sounds like fun, especially if it's after dark and the steam is coming up from the sewers (you could do it again in daylight)

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristineCB
    Ljelja, this film is one of a comparatively small handful where music is so integrated, yet I never considered this "Viennese" music. Do you? I have always thought the zither was more Greek or at least Mediterranean/Aegean instrument.
    Actually, zither is originally played in and around the Alps, mainly German speaking corners, not so Italian or French. Of course, Mediterranean countries have its string instruments which could be called a version of zither. But then again, it could be applied vice versa as well. But no, zither is originally an Alpine specificity.

Regarding the melody itself, except that it was composed by the indigenous Viennese busker, I cannot tell much. But, there is one curiosity. Karas stayed in London with Reed while composing the score. It was quite strenuous for him, working a fast paced tempo. Plus feeling a bit homesick. The final film was packed with music, but the theme that eventually became best seller (The Harry Lime theme) was written by Karas some 15 or 20 years prior to the rest of "The Third Man" score. It was a simple piece he used to play very often while busking. So he slipped it into the score. Obviously, the most simple melodies easily catch our ears.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook

The walking tour sounds like fun, especially if it's after dark and the steam is coming up from the sewers (you could do it again in daylight)

Steve
    Gee, for all of ye sewer fetishists, I have to disclose some bad news. The official Third Man Tour web site announces in flashing, red letters: Our Tour is no Sewer Tour! There is NO sewer tour in Vienna!

And there you have the counter-measure for Mr. Reed's reducing Arian merits to a mere cuckoo clock. Phew...

:

Liked
    418 times
    Gee, for all of ye sewer fetishists, I have to disclose some bad news. The official Third Man Tour web site announces in flashing, red letters: Our Tour is no Sewer Tour! There is NO sewer tour in Vienna!

And there you have the counter-measure for Mr. Reed's reducing Arian merits to a mere cuckoo clock. Phew...

:

I didn't necessarily want to go down into the sewers, that was mainly all in the studio anyway. But I'd like to see the atmospheric steam rising from them

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    Actually, zither is originally played in and around the Alps, mainly German speaking corners, not so Italian or French. Of course, Mediterranean countries have its string instruments which could be called a version of zither. But then again, it could be applied vice versa as well. But no, zither is originally an Alpine specificity.

Regarding the melody itself, except that it was composed by the indigenous Viennese busker, I cannot tell much. But, there is one curiosity. Karas stayed in London with Reed while composing the score. It was quite strenuous for him, working a fast paced tempo. Plus feeling a bit homesick. The final film was packed with music, but the theme that eventually became best seller (The Harry Lime theme) was written by Karas some 15 or 20 years prior to the rest of "The Third Man" score. It was a simple piece he used to play very often while busking. So he slipped it into the score. Obviously, the most simple melodies easily catch our ears.
    Wikipedia says that Karas wrote the theme based on a melody in a practice book.

All together now "Da-dinka, dinka ding, da-ding"

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    SO wonderful, Steve! Thanks. I try to play it but I end up wishing for two more hands.

Senior Member Country: England John Llewellyn Moxey's Avatar
    Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristineCB
    SO wonderful, Steve! Thanks. I try to play it but I end up wishing for two more hands.
    I do believe that Oswald Haferichter ( spelling?) the editor of thr Third Man, and a friend of mine; heard him play at a cafe..Took carol Reed to hear him, and that's how it all started.

John Llwewllyn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast