Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    Just how old are you? That was the propaganda they spread during the first world war, not the second Steve
    I was born early 1938 and the war ended 1945. I remember distinctly people around me telling me this was so. It may be a relic of World War 1 which was repeated over and over again but don't belittle the fact IT DID HAVE AN EFFECT It made us hate the Germans with great venom and AT THAT TIME it made us want to take a few of them out the most horrible way possible. This film I think demonstrates this most admirably. If you weren't there, you wouldn't understand.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    I'm guessing Bernardo's parents were themselves children during WW1, and his grandparents belong to the generation that fought it. whether you call it propaganda or urban myth, if it's powerful enough it resonates down generations.Odd phrases too.... For instance, as late as the late 1960's, when my mum (Born 1936) wanted to take my jumper off for the five-year old me, it was "Hands Up, Germany...." !! Not to mention old habits.....my Grandmother 'Salvaged' - recycled paper her entire life as if Mrs Thatcher was about to reintroduce paper drives...how we laughed. Now I'm doing it !!

Back in the mists of time, when I spent my summers at archaeological digs, a wise old archaeologist told me something that I've never forgotten. Times change. Technology changes. Political and social structures change. But human nature never does....those medieval ancestors I was busy disinterring had the same intelligence, the same creative thoughts, basic desires, longings, and drives that we have. They might have been differently expressed, but they were there; bear that in mind. Our Grandfathers and Grandmothers were not idiots. They simply, for the most part, had less opportunities.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    But remember that there were other films made by British film-makers in the early 1940s, which dared to suggest that not all Germans were Nazis and that there could even be good Germans!

49th Parallel (1941) and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold
    Back in the mists of time, when I spent my summers at archaeological digs, a wise old archaeologist told me something that I've never forgotten. Times change. Technology changes. Political and social structures change. But human nature never does....those medieval ancestors I was busy disinterring had the same intelligence, the same creative thoughts, basic desires, longings, and drives that we have. They might have been differently expressed, but they were there; bear that in mind. Our Grandfathers and Grandmothers were not idiots. They simply, for the most part, had less opportunities.
    "Well, there are more ways than one of getting close to your ancestors. Follow the old road, and as you walk, think of them and of the old England. They climbed Chillingbourne Hill, just as you. They sweated and paused for breath just as you did today. And when you see the bluebells in the spring and the wild thyme, and the broom and the heather, you're only seeing what their eyes saw. You ford the same rivers. The same birds are singing. When you lie flat on your back and rest, and watch the clouds sailing, as I often do, you're so close to those other people, that you can hear the thrumming of the hoofs of their horses, and the sound of the wheels on the road, and their laughter and talk, and the music of the instruments they carried. And when I turn the bend in the road, where they too saw the towers of Canterbury, I feel I've only to turn my head, to see them on the road behind me."

Thomas Colpeper (Eric Portman) in A Canterbury Tale (1944)

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    "Well, there are more ways than one of getting close to your ancestors. Follow the old road, and as you walk, think of them and of the old England. They climbed Chillingbourne Hill, just as you. They sweated and paused for breath just as you did today. And when you see the bluebells in the spring and the wild thyme, and the broom and the heather, you're only seeing what their eyes saw. You ford the same rivers. The same birds are singing. When you lie flat on your back and rest, and watch the clouds sailing, as I often do, you're so close to those other people, that you can hear the thrumming of the hoofs of their horses, and the sound of the wheels on the road, and their laughter and talk, and the music of the instruments they carried. And when I turn the bend in the road, where they too saw the towers of Canterbury, I feel I've only to turn my head, to see them on the road behind me."

Thomas Colpeper (Eric Portman) in A Canterbury Tale (1944)

Steve
    Thanks for posting that Steve, it's a very beautiful speech and it's once again bought back a wonderful memory of our recent walk, it's very calming to simply just imagine what our ancestors did, they didn't all go on the 'rampage' through Africa etc; many were just humble pilgrims, something that would have suited me just fine.......

Merry christmas!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernardo
    Members really need to place themselves at the time this film was conceived. 'We' had watched countries that seemed rock solid fall like dominoes in what seemed like days, our army suffered a 'glorious' defeat at Dunquerque. The Hun is coming was a reallity, Hitler said so, troops were rehearsing how and what to destroy and where to regroup.

So all those acting probably did it with feeling. I don't think that, at the time, propaganda would be the correct name for the motivation to make the film as that word is now contaminated with subtle truth twisting and distortion. Now the film looks rather quaint and one expects Captain Waggett, sorry! Mainwaring to appear nevertheless it is a good historical record of the time and we should be pleased that we are not in their position. Locals here in the East swear that a German expeditionary force landed at Shingle Street (remote coast near Woodbridge) but were secretly beaten back by the way.

Nice to see that generation of actors go through their paces and so well motivated to stiffen the resolve of the population and ready them for what may come.
    I think one member really needs to sort out their thinking. Captain Mainwaring, in the shape of the Home Guard did appear in the film and were machine gunned to death by the Germans - how quaint. Also, it wasn't propaganda then because the word is now contaminated.

A little too Einsteinian for me, Bernardo.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Members that live within travelling distance of Harwich Essex may like to know that there will be a screening of Went The Day Well? on the 26th. Details: http://www.electricpalace.com/cine/i...ate=1280703600

Liked
    69 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernardo

Members that live within travelling distance of Harwich Essex may like to know that there will be a screening of Went The Day Well? on the 26th. Details: http://www.electricpalace.com/cine/i...ate=1280703600

(I tried to search for this film's thread but the search engine would not let me. Hence a new thread)
    Pity I am not near. I loved this film,in fact I preferred it to The Eagle Has Landed.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    Like you Marky I love this film and I would love to see it on the big screen maybe as a double bill with San Demetrio, London. 2 perfect warfilms.

Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky B

Pity I am not near. I loved this film,in fact I preferred it to The Eagle Has Landed.

Ta Ta

Marky B
    I agree a far better film and some great performances

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wadey

I agree a far better film and some great performances
    Without giving away any spoilers, it certainly sheds a new light on Marie Lohr, for one.

I agree with all above; this is one of the best British war movies.

Liked
    1 times
    Couldn't agree more, this really is a film to savour. Love to see it on the big screen too...sigh

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    WENT THE DAY WELL is also being screened at the Pictureville Cinema at the National Media Museum, Bradford on Sunday 15 August at 5.55pm

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    i see a newly restored print is headed for New York City's Film Forum Cinema in late May , anyone seen it or know anything ?

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy bentley View Post
    i see a newly restored print is headed for New York City's Film Forum Cinema in late May , anyone seen it or know anything ?
    The word "restored" is much mis-used. Is it really a restored print or just a new print from the same negatives?

Steve

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    It looks as though it has been restored.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    I saw the "new 35mm restoration" earlier today at the Film Forum NYC and it looked very fine to me. What a tough little flick. It really gets quite brutal as it moves along, especially for the ladies and what they have or decide to do. This picture should have a bigger reputation !

Junior Member Country: UK arunachula's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Cavalcanti's version of Greene's Went the Day Well - fascinating to see Nazis running around our Englisg lanes, and how the quiet folk of the vilage eventually defeat them! Also to see household names of the future (Harry Fowler, Thora Hird) in their pre-fame days. Much better than other senarios dating from later.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I only saw this for the first time last year. I thought it was absolutely wonderful and a rather convincing depiction of what might had happened had the Nazis invaded our island. It wasn't was I was expecting at all from a film with the Ealing Studios label and, as you say, there are some lovely character performances. It's quickly become a firm favourite of mine.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arunachula View Post
    Cavalcanti's version of Greene's Went the Day Well - fascinating to see Nazis running around our Englisg lanes, and how the quiet folk of the vilage eventually defeat them! Also to see household names of the future (Harry Fowler, Thora Hird) in their pre-fame days. Much better than other senarios dating from later.
    Well the obvious and usual comparison is with The Eagle Has Landed

Steve

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast