Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Senior Member Country: England sidney bliss's Avatar
    Liked
    48 times
    It's a gem of a movie. A nazi killing gun crazy Thora Hird is a sight to behold. Love it.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sidney bliss View Post
    It's a gem of a movie. A nazi killing gun crazy Thora Hird is a sight to behold. Love it.
    Also the drunken David Farrar and the not-very-obvious baddie, and the way he gets done in, and the heroic old lady, everyone is wonderful in it. It's a great film

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Well the obvious and usual comparison is with The Eagle Has Landed

Steve
    There's some interesting comparisons here

http://filmdope.com/forums/yo...-1942-a-2.html

Watching it at the NFT when it was revived a while back, I found I'd completely forgotten what happens to Marie Lohr . The Home Guard's fate isn't what you get in Dad's Army either (and it's about the only serious portrayal of the Home Guard in a war film too)
    Last edited by CaptainWaggett; 17-11-11 at 08:12 PM.

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Watching it at the NFT when it was revived a while back, I found I'd completely forgotten what happens to Marie Lohr . The Home Guard's fate isn't what you get in Dad's Army either (and it's about the only serious portrayal of the Home Guard in a war film too)
    It definitely has some very shocking/violent moments for a film of its' time.

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    It's been in my collection for some time now. A wonderful insight into rural Britain during World War Two..

Senior Member Country: Japan
    Liked
    28 times
    I meant to watch this yesterday on Film4's "Films for life" series but forgot, so I watched it on YouTube today. Perhaps it was the poor quality of the online offering, but at the end I found it hard to distinguish between the liberating British soldiers and the Germans in British uniform. I was expecting that at least one liberating Brit would be mistakenly shot by his own side (the villagers). Did anybody else think that?

The Nazis were shown as uniformly brutal, but if such an invasion had taken place, you can bet that the participants would have been picked for their fanatical devotion to the cause. The Nazis were necrophiliac neo-tribalists, grim revolutionaries who believed that the purity of their New Order could only be based on extermination. I well remember reading one of Himmler's speeches to his political SS staff, many of whom were involved in administering the extermination camps: "I have nothing to ask of you but superhuman acts of inhumanity". The Nazi group who took over the fictional village in the film would have known how perilous their situation was, so they would have had every reason to be uniformly harsh and brutal in their treatment of the villagers. That in turn would have released the bitterness and violence seen in the villagers, who knew they were in a life or death situation. Bitterness and escalation are two of the inescapable staples of war.

Despite its faults, the film certainly kept me on the edge of my seat - I'd not seen it for decades. The idea of infiltrators who are like us but not like us is always an eerie touch, and for some reason reminded me of The Invasion of the Bodysnatchers.
    Last edited by icetorch; 12-04-12 at 09:38 PM.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    I hadn`t even seen this film until a few weeks ago. I loved it. Thora Hird and German chocolate, a great set up for a suspenseful watch

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Here's a link to a blog that compares the original Graham Greene short story, The Lieutenant Died Last, and what became the film, Went the Day Well?

http://bhdandme.wordpress.com/tag/grahame-greene/

I've just ordered a copy of the compilation of Greene short stories that includes the source material - The Last Word and other stories.

Nick

Nick

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Dando View Post
    Here's a link to a blog that compares the original Graham Greene short story, The Lieutenant Died Last, and what became the film, Went the Day Well?

http://bhdandme.wordpress.com/tag/grahame-greene/

I've just ordered a copy of the compilation of Greene short stories that includes the source material - The Last Word and other stories.

Nick

Nick
    IIRC the story is set in the outskirts of Metroland rather than the countryside proper. There's a discussion of the differences in the BFI monograph.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Lucky enough to watch it from the beginning on Film4 tonight - agree with another poster about it being hard to distinguish German British and British British at the end - only difference I could notice was that the actual British had scrim and netting camouflage on their helmets giving it a more camouflaged look, and the Germans helmet's were bare (or just had the netting)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456