Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky B
    I actually read that Dustin Hoffman was keen to reprise the Alec Guinness role/s.

Ta Ta

Marky B
    I bet he is. A role like that must be an actor's dream. What a great showcase for their talent, if they have enough talent to carry it off

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop
    There was to have been a remake of KHAC in the eighties with Lionel Jeffries directing and, wait for it, Russ Abbot in the Guiness roles. Thank god it never happened.
    Any remake will probably come from Hollywood and star Eddie Murphy.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I scoffed at any notion of remaking KIND HEARTS, mostly on the "Why bother?" front, but also the "Look what LADYKILLERS ended up as" front, too.

Then I saw that they are remaking HALLOWEEN. The first one. The series is so dead and tired that they can't print up any new sequels, but they CAN find someone who'll finance a remake of the original? And what's next? Halloween 2 Version 2? Halloween 3 Version 2? Then remakes of remakes of sequels?

So, maybe KIND HEARTS won't escape the bloodbath. Oh please... don't make me reconsider Gus' status as the pinnacle of arm-pit creativity on the basis that others are doing so much worse!

Liked
    0 times
    "Dr Johnson was, as always, right when he observed: 'Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he's going to be hanged within a few hours, it concentrates his mind wonderfully!'"

It's great to see you all talking about this marvellous film. I am glad I have it in my collection. I never tire of hearing Mr Price's impeccible and beautiful diction and that wonderfully English accent. Without a doubt, one of the best parts he ever played and, to see him as the focal figure, rather than as a supporting member, or even a bit-part (Dunston and Dudley! or "If they've got Guy, they've got Guy's gun!")

The entire film, from plot to acting, is truly a masterpiece that shows just how brilliant the British films were. What a shame they don't make them like that any more!

If they do re-make the film, those of us who truly appreciate the classics, won't be swayed and, let's face it, those who have little or no understanding of what these films mean to us, will merely be looking to see what new special effects have been concocted.

Senior Member Country: Vietnam hankoler's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    How could they remake the LADY KILLERS there are no coal wagons for the bodies to fall in, and who could replace the wonderful Katie Johnson!!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Wasn't Peter Sellers down to do a remake of Kind Hearts.. just before he died? He was earmarked for the Guinness part, I can't remember who was to do the Dennis Price role.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7
    Two great films you mention Wayne. The final scene with both seal their perfection for me, Arthur Lowe outside the prison in KHaC and the rail signal/umbrella ending to The Ladykillers.
    Absolutely agree about the two endings. Also, adding to the Dennis Price debate, I thought he was a perfect Jeeves to Ian Carmichael's Wooster.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 716Jones
    Any remake will probably come from Hollywood and star Eddie Murphy.
    I remember the great Walter Mathau was illustrating the mind set in Hollywood when he said that they were going to re make Ann Franks diary with Whoopi Goldberg in the lead role.

Liked
    0 times
    This is also one of my favourites -the humour is so good and Alec Guiness is brilliant.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenoir
    Also, adding to the Dennis Price debate, I thought he was a perfect Jeeves to Ian Carmichael's Wooster.
    So did Wodehouse

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    This is my favourite 'older' film, for so many reasons. But, mainly, it is just so genuinely funny and 'knowing'!

I actually prefer just the one Dennis Price to all the Alec Guinesses although I agree he does a very good job.

I felt quite upset when I read how things had turned out for Dennis Price, there was so much promise there.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MB
    I felt quite upset when I read how things had turned out for Dennis Price, there was so much promise there.
    He seemed to be very well-liked by his colleagues, over the years I've read tributes exhorting his splendidness in the autobiographies of Michael Winner, Michael Caine and Patrick Macnee.

I'm sure that speaks for itself.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MB
    This is my favourite 'older' film, for so many reasons. But, mainly, it is just so genuinely funny and 'knowing'!

I actually prefer just the one Dennis Price to all the Alec Guinesses although I agree he does a very good job.

I agree about Price's performance being the stand-out. It would have been just as good a film with Ernest Thesiger as the bishop and Guy Middleton as the masher and so on. Guinness is obviously excellent but I'm not sure the gimmick of the multiple roles adds that much to the film.

Senior Member Country: United States Lord Lionheart's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Many years ago while walking around Birmigham's rag market I saw a signed photo of Dennis Price at a stall. I'm not sure how authentic the signature was but I often reflect on how I wish I had bought it. Always loved that movie as a kid and up into adulthood. Joan Greenwood's sultry looks and husky voice make her one of my favorites of this era. Loved her in The man in the white suit too

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I have a pair of 'Fine Gauge Stockings of Distinction' endorsed by Dennis Price ('Famous stage and film star shortly to be seen in Van Dyke Picture Corporation's Song of Paris') which has a nice picture of him on the packet because 'Discerning Public Demand the Best'. Part of a series advertised by male celebs - though all the others, should you wish to collect the set, are band leaders.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I watched KHAC last night. Price gives a magnificently subtle performance. Fair enough some of the murders ask us to suspend credulity for a while, but this does not detract from arguably the greatest British film.

Liked
    0 times
    Dennis Price is excellent in this - it's his film totally. Funny how Guiness seemed to be quite annoyed that people always used to reference his multiple characters in Kind Hearts, it looked at times like it got him down a bit, especially when it was mentioned in his interview with Parkinson ( one of the great Parky interviews).

For me Guiness was best when he could explore and develope a character and I would put many of his other parts like Gulley Jimson, Col Nicholson, Professor Marcus, Sidney Stratton, Henry Holland and the controversial Fagin above his D'Ascyone family parts.

Simon

Liked
    1 times
    No Way to Treat a Lady with Rod Steiger and George Segal is a good companion piece to Kind Hearts & Coronets

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    This is a brilliant film - perhaps even a great one. I cannot think of a single fault. But it is so bleak and cold that I found it difficult to really enjoy.

It is so understated and civilized that the amoral core is not immediately evident. It is a facinating film. I thought about it a great deal.

I think it is the best example I can think of - except perhaps the P&P duo of Colonel Blimp and AMOLAD - that explains why so many outstanding British films are not easily accessible to people outside of Britain.

The British class system is at the heart of the film (if it has a heart...) and it is impossible to understand without it. A system that was (is?) both permeable and fluid and at the same time rigid and defined can produce ambition, bitterness, resentment and frustration. The demands of the system also require that the surface remain calm. But it has a very acrid tone, and the acid comes through.

It is all so sophisticated and smoothly done that it might pass initially as a clever drawing room comedy.

Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    KHaC is certainly in my top 5 British films of all time, I thought Price's performance was superb. I can not imagine any remake living up to the standard of the original

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast