Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rskershaw
    Does anyone recall this? Sometime in the late 90's (1998 I think), I saw a screening of NTR at the NFT. Roy Ward Baker was interviewed beforehand, and many of his friends (Moore, Lom, Syms) were in the audience reminiscing about their work with Roy. The version of NTR then shown was one I have never seen before or after. It included a scene where More, from the capsized lifeboat, fishes out the body of a child (unfortunately an obvious doll) and breaks down. It also omitted the reassuring eplogue:

But this is not the end of the story -- for their sacrifice was not in vain. Today there are lifeboats for all. Unceasing radio vigil and, in the North Atlantic, the international ice patrol guards the sea lanes making them safe for the peoples of the world.

This last omission does make a slight difference to the discussion on "melodrama" which originally opened this thread.
    The IMDb Alternate Versions page says:

The US Criterion Collection DVD is slightly edited: after thet Titanic has sunk, 2nd Officer Lightoller (Kenneth More) is on top of the upturned Collapsible lifeboat, a steward swims up to him with a child. Lightoller takes the child, but in the DVD, you don't see him find out that the child is already dead, and then he gently places him in the water. There is also an "epilogue". It describes how the passengers did not die in vain: "The International Ice Patrol now Watches the Seas and a ceaseless radio vigil is in place, etc." In earlier versions, these titles are missing. Only the background footage of toys, deck chairs, and other wreckage floating on the water fills the screen. It is in this version, with no "epilogue", where Lightoller is seen lowering the dead child into the water.

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLA
    I'm a great admirer of some of Baker's films, but he was no Hitchcock (or even Michael Powell).
    Mr. RWB voxpopped up on the BBC's current BFforever season last week. Aren't all these fellows dead these days? How nice to see a live one!! I certainly sat up and paid attention when he came on.

The BBC obviously weren't that excited, they gave him about a 20second slot........

It would be nice to see the full interview he must have given, from which they poached their comprehensive summation....... What a waste of the man's time otherwise........

Anyhow I notice, in belated response to the quote, that Mr. Baker remarks at Screenonline, "Roy Baker makes no claims to being an auteur and firmly rejects the idea that the audience should be aware of the director."

screenonline: Baker, Roy Ward (1916-) Credits

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brent
    While watching this excellent film look out for Sean Connery playing the part of a deck-hand.

Also Derren Nesbitt, playing the stoker seen holding the oar on an upturned lifeboat after the Titanic goes down.

Dave.
    I have just carefully rewatched this film, and I'm damned if I can see Sean Connery. Derren Nesbitt has a speaking role.

I note the version shown on TV today, had the epilogue, but the 'baby' scene was omitted.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    I too spent a couple of hours yesterday looking at this great film and saw a lot of my old mates (extras). I still speak with some of them...

Aitch,

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harryfielder
    I too spent a couple of hours yesterday looking at this great film and saw a lot of my old mates (extras). I still speak with some of them...

Aitch,
    Aitch,

Does it make it difficult to get absorbed in a film if you keep recognising people like that and wondering how they're doing?

Steve

Liked
    120 times

Aitch,
    Come on H, we need names and 'roles' (or H-site references) so we can spot 'em and get 'em up there with Fred Woods........... The only place it's gonna happen is somewhere like here...

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    Morning Steve and Moor,,,,,,

I first saw the film in 58 and didn't know anything about film extras etc.

I went into the biz for two days in 1966 and stayed for 32 years

I talk to a guy in the States that has a list of nearly every extra,,Actor,,Director back to the 20s.

His name is Scott Palmer,, Scott.Palmer2@cox.net and he can tell you of every job I worked on as well as every Stunt guy and bit part player. He hopes to publish his book which has taken more than 20 years to compile.

Some of the extras on NTR are over 90 years old and he is still in contact with them. (I feel like the new boy)

Have a look at the list he gave me on a guy called Aidan Harrington.

I put them on IMDB discussion boar. ( he has 1000s more)

(If you email Scott,, tell him I sent you)

Aitch,

Liked
    120 times
    His name is Scott Palmer..... He hopes to publish his book which has taken more than 20 years to compile.
    Make sure he knows to advertise here when it's out....... I assume that's allowed?

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moor Larkin
    Make sure he knows to advertise here when it's out....... I assume that's allowed?

It is indeed - always useful to know when there's a good and interesting publication due. I was recently promoting our very own Hoggers' upcoming tome on James Robertson Justice in another thread.

This chap's book sounds fascinating...

Smudge

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I had to watch this again and, while I've never read books on the event because of the agony I get from these few films, I have to admit I'd be interested in more details - particularly about the survivors' lives in the years to come, particularly the seamen who skipped ahead of others to save themselves.

Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristineCB
    I have to admit I'd be interested in more details -
    Titanic Passenger and Crew Biographies and comprehensive Titanic History :: Encyclopedia Titanica

More than you possibly ever wanted to know........

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I think this is a far more effective portrayal of the Titanic disaster than anything that has come since. The focus is on people rather than special effects, and the interactions between the characters are generally underplayed, which I believe would be more hsitorically accurate.

Liked
    0 times
    Moor, I've spent a few hours going thru that site. Excellent, albeit rather skimpy on the depth of details I hoped for. Nevertheless, it's incredibly comprehensive and a most-excellent starting point for me.

TimR, it wasn't the 'focus on FX' that bothered me - both films used whatever FX they had available. But Cameron decided to overwhelm the audience with a trumped-up love-triangle because his peabrain evidently couldn't fathom that the deaths of 1400 people would have any ability to affect an audience. It didn't affect him, so he wrongly believed he needed to dredge up a standard love-triangle with a definite bad guy.

After all, no good movie ever exists without a really bad guy, right?

I wish he'd go back to William Castle School and stick with dreaming up catchy one-word titles.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Moor, I've spent a few hours going thru that site. Excellent, albeit rather skimpy on the depth of details I hoped for. Nevertheless, it's incredibly comprehensive and a most-excellent starting point for me.

TimR, it wasn't the 'focus on FX' that bothered me - both films used whatever FX they had available. But Cameron decided to overwhelm the audience with a trumped-up love-triangle because his peabrain evidently couldn't fathom that the deaths of 1400 people would have any ability to affect an audience. It didn't affect him, so he wrongly believed he needed to dredge up a standard love-triangle with a definite bad guy.

I wish he'd go back to William Castle School and stick with dreaming up catchy one-word titles.
    Yes, you put it well.

I found the attitude in the Cameron version towards the audience to be condescending - and the anti-heroic tone rather obnoxious. That is not to say everyone on the Titanic behaved heroically, but there were some impressive and moving true stories, and they were mostly ignored (except for the Molly Brown episode, I suppose)

Liked
    0 times

Christine... I didn't like it either!

However, one definite advantage for me... I could mute the sound and fast forward every now and then to drool over Kate Winslet (my favorite modern actress ever since her mind-blowing scenes in "Jude").

That probably wasn't what James Cameron had in mind, however!

Senior Member Country: England John Llewellyn Moxey's Avatar
    Liked
    45 times
    Christine.

I am sorry to say that I have a nasty feeling I should have answered an E mail you sent me sometime ago. If so, please forgive me.

Anyhoo! I do agree with every thing you said in this message.

All the best and enjoy the long weekend.

John Llewellyn.

Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NappieB
    I could mute the sound and fast forward every now and then to drool over Kate Winslet
    I felt the same except I was looking at the ship.......

Then I found a computer game that was much better:

Ladies & children first

Liked
    0 times
    I like TITANIC for one reason as well - it made huge monies at box-offices and I'll bet very very few of those tickets were bought by teenage boys. So, every time I see filmmakers catering to the 13-year-old boy mentality, I can chuckle that they're obviously not aiming for TITANIC-quality box offices. Teemage girls have a bit of power, it seems.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    The DVD of "Night to Remember" is going for a bargain �3.99 on HMV.ca: music, dvd and games at the moment, along with some other "Best of British" films

rgds

Rob

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie
    I have just carefully rewatched this film, and I'm damned if I can see Sean Connery. Derren Nesbitt has a speaking role.

I note the version shown on TV today, had the epilogue, but the 'baby' scene was omitted.

Here's a screen grab from the film showing a bearded Sean Connery helping female passengers into a lifeboat.

Dave.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast