Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Brillaint film and way better than Camerons over blown tosh.

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Can anyone save me a trip to a central London library to look over very old Radio Times??? Read on....I love 'A Night to Remember', Rank's brilliant film on the Titanic disaster...but does anyone know when exactly it was shown on the BBC in 1969/1970-ish..?..it really had an affect on me (I was 6/7 years old) when I first saw it broadcast, so much so I went into school and instead of filling in my exercise book on 'what I did at the weekend' about playing out, etc. I did a brief description of the film, and drew the sinking. How obsessions begin, eh!?

Because of that memory, I reckon it was broadcast by BBC1 on a sunday evening. In a way, the film helped me better understand the randomness of life and death (my dad had died in late 1968, a matter that was shielded from me, as I was just four), so I have a lot to thank ANTR for.

Any conclusive answer wins my undying affection.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    I can't help with 69/70 as I had no access to a televisionset at that time. But earlier 65/66/67 the film on tele on a Sunday was always in the afternoon. Good luck

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I can look it up for you (or get one of my minions to do it!) but it would help to know where you were living as it seems to have been shown quite a lot in various ITV regions, mostly on Saturday evenings.

Liked
    0 times
    I have recently been doing a project and checked my notes and all I can say is that the film does not appear to have been shown on TV in 1968 or 1969 - so it was probably 1970.

You can order Radio Times in advance from the British newspaper Library at Colindale at British Library Newspapers.

They usually ask for 48 hours notice.

Good luck

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cosmo
    I have recently been doing a project and checked my notes and all I can say is that the film does not appear to have been shown on TV in 1968 or 1969 - so it was probably 1970.

You can order Radio Times in advance from the British newspaper Library at Colindale at British Library Newspapers.

They usually ask for 48 hours notice.

Good luck
    It was shown several times on ITV during 1968 and 1969 on weekend evenings which is why it would be helpful to know what region David was living in so as not to have to list them all.

Liked
    9 times
    Thank you for all your kind replies to this thread. I lived in the Granada region from May 1967 to September 1983 ....I would not be surprised if it was 1970, but I would if it was broadcast on ITV. I guess they used to fill their schedules with black and white films in those days! Thank you all.

David

Liked
    492 times
    Don't forget that in the late 1960s, there wasn't an awful lot of point in showing colour films on tv! I think ITV used to have the Rank back catalogue in those days.

It was shown by Granada on the following dates -

Tuesday May 23rd 1967 7.30pm

Thursday Aug 28th 1969 7.00pm

Sunday Sept 9th 1972 7.55pm

Sounds like it's probably the last option.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Still the best film ever made about the disaster.

Liked
    492 times
    The German wartime film is interesting as it does try to give an explanation for the disaster (a complicated stock market gamble depends on the ship breaking the speed record).

Liked
    9 times
    Many thanks Captain!

I'm certain it must be Thursday Aug 28th 1969 7.00pm - yes, I probably was allowed to stay up at the age of 5 once in a blue moon. That's part of why it left a lasting impression I guess. That and it's a brilliant screenplay and still stands up well today.

What is odd is that it was on ITV. It sounds strange these days, but then, even with just three channels, my mum's household was very BBC-only (living in Birkenhead many of my friends had wall-to-wall ITV, but we laughingly a bit more 'well to do'!). I definitely discount 1967, and 1972 too - I am sure because I 'reviewed' it at my first primary school in an exercise book which I had for years. I attended my second primary school from September 1972.

Again, many thanks Captain...[now on to finding out when BBC screened The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes on a sunday night long ago]

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Azanti
    Have you seen the 1943 German version? Apart from he obvious propaganda, it's a remarkably good film.

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by David Challinor
    Many thanks Captain!

I'm certain it must be Thursday Aug 28th 1969 7.00pm - yes, I probably was allowed to stay up at the age of 5 once in a blue moon. That's part of why it left a lasting impression I guess. That and it's a brilliant screenplay and still stands up well today.

What is odd is that it was on ITV. It sounds strange these days, but then, even with just three channels, my mum's household was very BBC-only (living in Birkenhead many of my friends had wall-to-wall ITV, but we laughingly a bit more 'well to do'!). I definitely discount 1967, and 1972 too - I am sure because I 'reviewed' it at my first primary school in an exercise book which I had for years. I attended my second primary school from September 1972.

Again, many thanks Captain...[now on to finding out when BBC screened The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes on a sunday night long ago]
    We were definitely a BBC family too. I think it was pretty standard back in the 1960s and 1970s to watch one or the other.

As for the Private Life of Sherlock Holmes - Sunday 5th November 1978 at 8.10pm

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Azanti
    Yes, the gold standard. All the others pale beside it!

I saw this several times in the USA, first time was in about 1979. I've seen it several times since and have it recorded on both VHS and DVD. However, on most showings (including the ones I taped), there are several scenes cut for no apparent reason except, perhaps, to fit the movie within the allocated time spot.

I'm searching for a good copy of the full length original - I'm sure I can find one on Amazon or E-bay.

I recently crossed the Atlantic on the Queen Mary 2. They have maps posted in many areas (including on in-room TV) marking the location of the Titanic's sinking, and the QM2 sounds the ship's horn when it passes the spot (about 11:30pm at night on the last night of the 6 day trip from Southampton to NY).

Ironically, if the Titanic had steamed a few miles to the north she would have foundered in the relatively shallow waters of the Grand Banks!

Liked
    492 times
    It's been available on Region 2 for some time as part of the Keneth More collection, along with Genevieve, Reach for the Sky, NorthWest Frontier and Chance of a Lifetime.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    Have you seen the 1943 German version? Apart from he obvious propaganda, it's a remarkably good film.
    Bats,

The Hebert Selpin 1943 version?

I saw it at the NFT years ago. I think there was a character called Lord Stanley of Canterbury!!??

Liked
    0 times
    Hello and Good Evening.

I have to say that I have copies of nearly all the Titanic films.

But thye one I rate the best id A Night to Remember. It is without a dobt the most accurate one out there.

It would be nice to have ( With todays computer generated graphics and special effects ) to have a remake of this film, But keep it in the black and white format.

For anyone interested in The Titanic you can look here chat-titanic.tk

I perhaps should say its only for those that are into Titanic.

Bye then from Old Seadog

Liked
    0 times
    I probably prefer A Night to Remember better than any of them, particularly because of Kenneth More.

I also wanted to see the wartime German Titanic (1943), and my sister was all set to record this for me along with Damn the Defiant, but TCM started wanting more money for some sort of 'decoder,' to which she replied nyet.'

I had heard the German version was excellent, even considering there was some inevitable (Goebbels) propaganda about the evil Anglo-Americans who wouldn't listen to the German(s) on board who knew the ship was going to hit that damn berg. I think the director swiftly ran counter to Herr Doktor Goebbels and wound up being arrested.

My cousin's 7-year-old great grandson is fascinated by Titanica (is that a word?), and she complains he 'bores' everyone, at the slightest provocation, by going through all the specifications. I think it's remarkable and I'm almost tempted to send him my tape of A Night to Remember along with Walter Lord's book. It's refreshing to see so young a kid interested in anything except video games.

There is an older lady north of me who informs me that either a very old friend or a very old relative (now deceased) was on the Titanic as a child. I have to ask her his name so I can check it out--even though I believe her. Audrey says that _______ was always being asked to lecture at schools, etc., to retell the story of that awful night, although he seemed to 'enjoy' telling it, ad infinitum.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    The German Titanic is available on an All Region DVD from the usual suspects ... it's very good.

Liked
    0 times
    i first saw the film when i was 9 years old and couldnt believe how well it was set. althought the Titanic didnt split in half because united states navy didnt know she split until they found her in 1985

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast