Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Did you know, that in real-life - they used Acme "thunderer" whistles aboard RMS TITANIC, they were issued to all of the officers. Charles Lightholler, played in this film by Kenneth Moore, attributed his life being saved to his whistle. He also, quoted Psalm 91:4. "And His angels shall keep their charge over thee." I think that was the verse, he quoted: as the ship sunk, into that inky-black sea, with thousands and thousands of bright stars sparkling down upon them, that terrible, and fateful night: a night to remember.

Liked
    0 times
    About the ship TITANIC as it sank. Those who were there that night, said it stood perfectly upright like a pencil in a perpendicular fashion, remained there for a brief period like this; some say minutes, 5 mins. or so, then sank without any wash. It must have broken apart as it sank beneath the surface of the water. Tremendous pressure, did the break-up, no doubt.

Liked
    0 times
    i have this film on 16mm and shown it many times the best one out of the lot

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    A Night To Remember (1958) BBC2

BBC2 … 2.00-400pm … Saturday … 22nd May 2010

A Night To Remember is the classic 1958 docu-drama film adaptation of Walter Lord's book of the same name, recounting the final night of RMS Titanic.

The film was adapted by acclaimed thriller writer, Eric Ambler and superbly directed by Roy Ward Baker. The production team, supervised by producer William MacQuitty, used blueprints from the ship to re-create sets, while Titanic fourth officer Joseph Boxhall and ex-Cunard Commodore Harry Grattidge both worked as a technical advisors on the film. The film premiered in the United Kingdom on Tuesday, 1st July, 1958, and in the United States on Tuesday, 16th December, 1958.

A Night To Remember won the 1959 "Samuel Goldwyn International Award" for the United Kingdom at the Golden Globe Awards.

Kenneth More recalled the production of the film in his autobiography, published 20 years later in 1978. There was no tank big enough at Pinewood Studios to film the survivors struggling to climb into lifeboats, so it was done in the open-air swimming bath at Ruislip Lido at 2 o'clock on an icy November morning. When the extras refused to jump in, More realised he would have to set an example.

He called out: "Come on!"

I leaped. Never have I experienced such cold in all my life. It was like jumping into a deep freeze. The shock forced the breath out of my body. My heart seemed to stop beating. I felt crushed, unable to think. I had rigor mortis, without the mortis. And then I surfaced, spat out the dirty water and, gasping for breath, found my voice.

'Stop!' I shouted. 'Don't listen to me! It's bloody awful! Stay where you are!'

But it was too late ....

Source … Wikipedia

‘Despite the film's relatively modest production values and the picture-perfect reproduction of the ship's fittings in the 1997 Oscar-winning film Titanic, A Night To Remember still receives high praise from Titanic historians as "the most accurate of all Titanic movies" and ‘the definitive Titanic tale …’

I totally agree … but not only is the film historically accurate … it is also extremely well-paced … sharply scripted by Eric Ambler … Kenneth More delivers one of his finest, and subtly under-stated, performances of his career … but perhaps even more importantly, A Night To Remember, re-creates such a movingly realistic atmosphere of fearful dread and desperation … it moves the film onto a higher level and makes it, I think, quite easily the best and most heartbreakingly poignant of all Titanic film adaptations.

Emma

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    I will be at work when this film is shown, but I'll either catch up on I Player or watch the video which I have in my collection. It's a classic film. I enjoyed Titanic as well, but I felt it focused too much on one couple, rather than all the passengers, and foolishly changed the some of the course of events towards the end of the film, for which I can only assume was to attract a larger audience. It didn't work for me. True stories ought to be as accurate as can be factually possible. I realize stories can only be as accurate as the memories of the people involved. However, to change events to attract a wider audience is for me, unforgiveable. A Night To Remember is an exciting and dramatic story without trying to be. It just tells the audience how it happened.

Trivia point: I read in one of the Sunday magazines some years back that this film is actress Harriet Walter's all-time favourite film.

wellendcanons.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    A great summary Mrs Peel!

The Cameron blockbuster is an extremely impressive spectacle on a purely technical level but the gimmicky romantic sub-plot with Winslet as a passenger who quickly works out that there aren't enough lifeboats on board and predicts the "potential" of Picasso is just a bit too much to take. A clunky dialogue and the ludicrous romantic triangle /chase climax sinks it. The Roy Ward Baker movie is a finer drama and conveys the appalling night with a deeper sense of reality.

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    I'm a great fan of Harriet ... I admire her fine taste ... nice piece of info wellendcanons ...

thank for your kind words Edward ... very much appreciated

Emma

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    Thanks Mrs Peel. I'm always interested to know what the stars like to watch. Thanks also for your excellent information about the film. I especially enjoyed reading about Kenneth More's reaction to the freezing cold water. I agree with Edward G's point that Roy Ward Baker's film portrayed a much deeper sense of reality.

wellendcanons.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Just in case you miss it and don't have i-player or anything, it's on Play.com and Amazon for 3.99, including the "Making of" documentary.

Here in Spain, a "making of" has become oart of the Spanish language, although annoyingly it's called a "Making Off". Grrrrrr.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    three major motion pictures were made concerning the Titanic. 1953 version starring Barbara Stanwyck and Clifton Webb. Story was about a bickering couple aboard the Titanic. Good film for that year. 1958,A night to remember. Probably the most accurate account of the sinking of the Titanic. And the 1997 release,yes the special effects were very good,but,the two main charactors,just to much of them was used in the film. As far as I am concerned,the 1958 version,was the best.

Junior Member Country: Belgium
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw this movie as a child and it started a lifelong passion for the RMS Titanic. What bothered me a little, as it did in the 1997 movie, was the love story. I remember wanting to know about the real stories on board. loved the movie.

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    A fabulous movie. Now hurry up with the blue ray please.

Junior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    0 times
    I think A Night to Remember is a brillant movie. It makes James Cameron's Titanic look like a Hannah Montana film. With the supperb Kenneth More a favourite actor of mine and the speacial effects not as glossy as Titanic but equally good. A must see for a proper a dignified telling of the tragedy without the ridiculous over the top romance.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    About to get the Criterion treatment with some tasty extras

A Night to Remember (1958) - The Criterion Collection

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    About to get the Criterion treatment with some tasty extrasA Night to Remember (1958) - The Criterion Collection
    Now that IS good news. And very well deserved. The Criterion Collection really has excelled itself with some top titles in the past couple of years.

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Just watched channel 5 documentary on the Nazi propaganda version of Titanic.Very interesting,some of the footage during the lifeboat scenes appears in Night To remember.You learn something everyday!

Member Country: Australia jaydee's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw this film for the first time when I was young and on holiday with my parents. Our car had broken down and we were in a one-cinema town and had to kill time. My father only went reluctantly - as he had been a seaman on board the ship Laplander, which although not mentioned in the film - was one of those that went to the Titanic's aid. It was the only time I remember him walking out of a film - as the realism brought back to him the tragedy 40 years earlier.
    Last edited by Nick Dando; 15-03-12 at 01:07 PM.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    We seem to be at the end of a Titanic season of hype, interviews, films, documentaries even broadcast plans to repaint the Titanic with magnetic paint! (no not on the 1st). As the subject of this thread, A Night To Remember, has been broadcast a few times recently may I direct you to DB7's post at the start of this thread. It is a remarkable dissection of the film and a good read if you have watched it in the last few weeks and will mark the end of this media created centenary of the event.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    13 times
    One of the best films ever produced in Britain! (IMHO) Something I have always wondered though, is why did Roy Ward Baker deliberately include a Swastika??? It just seems so out of place. I can't find any info on the Interweb. Does anyone have any Idea???
    Last edited by MovieDudeToo; 24-04-12 at 11:01 PM.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast