Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanche Fury
    Afraid I'm going to be a spoilsport.
    There is no such thing as a spoilsport on a thread like this. A difference of opinion makes it more interesting.

The scene where Andrews has what is very obviously a stuffed or toy leopard (or similar animal) thrown at him which he then procedes to wrestle is quite simply one of the funniest things I have ever seen. The only comparably funny because wildly incompetent sequence I can think of is the opening scene of Somewhere on Leave. The dialogue is wooden, the acting atrocious, and the editing unbelievably poor. The two characters are having a very serious conversation, but twice you briefly see the pair of them as one of them is speaking and the other is visibly grinning inanely.

Well, I don't agree with you about the acting and dialogue, but the stuffed leopard scene is very funny. I confess to rewinding it and playing it slowly, so I can see it better: it is like the Monty Python spoof of Scott of the Antarctic called "Scott of the Sahara", when Michael Palin wrestles with the suffed lion.

It starts with a huge stuffed toy lion being thrown at him. He then beats the stuffing out of it - literally. Then it turns into an actor in a cheap lion suit standing on its hind legs and taunting Palin.

But there is a certain amount of suspension of disbelief in a film like this. And what is the alternative? There would not have been much left of Dana Andrews if he fought a battle with a real leopard.

"Sorry, Dana - that didn't quite work....Let's do it again!"

Senior Member Country: England smiffy's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR
    There is no such thing as a spoilsport on a thread like this. A difference of opinion makes it more interesting.

Well, I don't agree with you about the acting and dialogue, but the stuffed leopard scene is very funny. I confess to rewinding it and playing it slowly, so I can see it better: it is like the Monty Python spoof of Scott of the Antarctic called "Scott of the Sahara", when Michael Palin wrestles with the suffed lion.

It starts with a huge stuffed toy lion being thrown at him. He then beats the stuffing out of it - literally.

But there is a certain amount of suspension of disbelief in a film like this. And what is the alternative? There would not have been much left of Dana Andrews if he fought a battle with a real leopard.

My sentiments exactly Tim ,thank you

Sometimes when you love a film you gloss over ,or conveniently forget, little things that with a bit more attention could have been better dealt with ,possibly with better camera angles?

Anyway , my opinion hasn't changed that even with the ( Stuffed ) Leopard scene ,this Is where Karswell really starts playing with DA's mind , and doesn't detract from the film as a whole ( IMHO )

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smiffy
    I thought Niall Macguiness as Karswell was excellent too .

I love the way he played with DAs mind in the library, before the chase in the woods.

I know some people think That the demon would have been better left unseen ,but for me I think It added another dimension when you see it's foul breath emenating from it's mouth,I did believe I could smell It ,
    When it was shown on TCM, the host Robert Osborne talked about the making of it. He said the director Jacques Tourneur and the writer Charles Bennet wanted to leave the demon entirely to the imagination, but the producer Hal Chester insisted on adding footage after the filming was completed.

I thought the scene of the approaching figure from a distance, with the accompanying smoke and the breathing was effective. The brief close shot of the thing itself didn't quite work.

Senior Member Country: England smiffy's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    When it was shown on TCM, the host Robert Osborne talked about the making of it. He said the director Jacques Tourneur and the writer Charles Bennet wanted to leave the demon entirely to the imagination, but the producer Hal Chester insisted on adding footage after the filming was completed.

I thought the scene of the approaching figure from a distance, with the accompanying smoke and the breathing was effective. The brief close shot of the thing itself didn't quite work.
    YES ,The approaching figure,Smoke and Breathing ,definitely gets the imagination out of the starting blocks , and although I love the materialism of the Demon ,maybe a clouded Demon could have left a more terrifying demon ?

I don't know If this has already been mentioned but Is this a film that could be remade ?

Sorry Stupid Question Has a classic ever been remade In the recent past worthy of a mention ?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times

It starts with a huge stuffed toy lion being thrown at him. He then beats the stuffing out of it - literally. Then it turns into an actor in a cheap lion suit standing on its hind legs and taunting Palin.

I thoroughly agree with you about suspension of disbelief, TimR. In fact a couple of weeks ago I started a thread under the British films and chat heading called Plot holes (Seance on a Wet Afternoon) saying exactly that, although not many people seemed interested in continuing it. I don't say that because of one bad scene the whole film collapses (though Night of the Demon belongs to a genre I've never been especially keen on, but that's just me, of course).

Incidentally, I expressed myself unclearly - I meant that the acting and direction in Somewhere on Leave were bad, not that they were bad in Night of the Demon.

Senior Member Country: United States Reeldigger's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I am, by no stretch, a Dana Andrews fan. I always found him rather wooden even in his prime. That said, he was disadvantaged by a badly written role in NIGHT OF THE DEMON. Surprisingly so since the script, on a whole, was excellent. I imagine there are plenty of smug, self-satisfied scientists out there, but Andrews' dialogue, to my ears, wasn't at all suited to an intelligent, open-minded man of science at all. On the contrary, he came off like one of those flip, know-it-all reporters from a Hollywood B movie. The villain had so much more integrity it was almost as if the director and the writer were silently rooting for him.

And I rather like the snarling, ferocious beast that the producers insisted on revealing in grim close-ups. Had the editor trimmed a few frames here and there, I don't think it would have been nearly such a controversial decision.

Member Country: Great Britain Dr Karswell's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Someone earlier on this post said that the film in it's full length has hardly been shown. The full 95 min version was shown on BBC1 less than three months ago.

I love the film and it is my favourite British film too. I have the DVD which features both versions and I must recommend that you pick up a copy of Beating The Devil, The making of Night of The Demon, by Tony Earnshaw. ISBN 0-9531926-1-X

I intend to visit Brocket Hall, which of course was the location used for Dr. Karswell's mansion. I hope that he is in, so that I can pass back the parchment!!!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Just got the latest Radio Times and I see that this superb film is to be shown on Good Friday at 02:20 hrs. Gah, must learn how to operate the DVD recorder's timer....

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone remember the last terrestrial TX of Night of the Demon?

BBC2, late 80s??

Senior Member Country: England duffy moon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    No, it was definitely 2007 (or 08 ), on BBC 2, just after the British films forever series. I watched it, although it was a 4.3 crop, it was most certainly 'Night' and not 'Curse' that was shown.

I will be watching again, even though I have a nice crisp 16.9 on disc. It doesn't get much better than this, (including Night of the eagle, which runs a close second).

Sheer class!

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I have an off-air video of it which I recorded when it was shown on the late night of Friday, December 27th, 1996, on Channel 4 and it is definitely shown as Curse of the Demon, followed by Night of the Eagle, which was shown directly afterwards in the early hours of Saturday, December 28th.

Senior Member Country: United States Reeldigger's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The seance scene was eliminated entirely. I suspect this was because Columbia studios, which released the film over here, thought Reginald Beckwith speaking in different voices would gets laughs. Also cut was the scene of Dana Andrews visiting the farmhouse which occurs around the same point in the film.

There were some smaller trims during the children's party scene, regrettably an exchange between Niall McGuiness and his mother where he reveals his fear of the supernatural powers turning on him which was rather interesting. The scene of Andrews and Peggy Cummins "meeting cute" on the airplane was also shortened.

Senior Member Country: UK quippy's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I love the film and it is my favourite British film too. I have the DVD which features both versions and I must recommend that you pick up a copy of Beating The Devil, The making of Night of The Demon, by Tony Earnshaw. ISBN 0-9531926-1-X

Can I recommend The Cinema Of Nightfall, a fine book about the film career of Jacques Tourneur by Chris Fujiwara? Its superb. ISBN 0-8018-6561-1

Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by quippy
    Can I recommend The Cinema Of Nightfall, a fine book about the film career of Jacques Tourneur by Chris Fujiwara? Its superb. ISBN 0-8018-6561-1
    Another great book about Jacques Tourneur is the one by Michael Henry Wilson ......but I don't know if it's translated into English, this was done for an "hommage" by Le Centre Pompidou in Paris.

Moon.

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeldigger
    I am, by no stretch, a Dana Andrews fan. I always found him rather wooden even in his prime. That said, he was disadvantaged by a badly written role in NIGHT OF THE DEMON. Surprisingly so since the script, on a whole, was excellent. I imagine there are plenty of smug, self-satisfied scientists out there, but Andrews' dialogue, to my ears, wasn't at all suited to an intelligent, open-minded man of science at all. On the contrary, he came off like one of those flip, know-it-all reporters from a Hollywood B movie. The villain had so much more integrity it was almost as if the director and the writer were silently rooting for him.
    I disagree, I think Andrews' role as Dr. Holden was well written. After all, the whole point is that Holden's character is an American who is an arrogant sceptic, with a closed mind, who wants to dismiss such matters as Demons, Witches and superstition as "bunk". He has even gone so far as to write a book about it and says that he has held these beliefs since childhood. He makes his living from writing and lecturing about it, at the same time trying to discredit those who believe in its existence.

It is as the film develops that we see his arrogance begin to diminish. We witness The Scientist who has so firmly and arrogantly nailed his colours to the mast suffer the realisation and fear that he may be wrong and that everything he has believed on this subject is going out of the window.

I think that Andrews plays the part well and to watch his character change into a desperate unsure frightened man who still tries to display an outer air of professionalism is very well played.

Over the years there has been comment about Andrews' role, even Peggy Cummins has come under fire. I am going to use Dr . Holden's expression here, "bunk".

The film is a classic because of what it is, the way it was written, produced, filmed, directed and acted by a great cast.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeldigger
    The seance scene was eliminated entirely. I suspect this was because Columbia studios, which released the film over here, thought Reginald Beckwith speaking in different voices would gets laughs. Also cut was the scene of Dana Andrews visiting the farmhouse which occurs around the same point in the film.

There were some smaller trims during the children's party scene, regrettably an exchange between Niall McGuiness and his mother where he reveals his fear of the supernatural powers turning on him which was rather interesting. The scene of Andrews and Peggy Cummins "meeting cute" on the airplane was also shortened.
    The seance was in the one shown on BBC2 last night - and I did smile at the different voices, especially the child's. The scene on the aeroplane and Niall confessing his fears to his mother were all in there as was Holden's visit to the Hobart family at their farm..

I also smiled at the scene where Dana & Peggy were driving along in her open topped car. The wind was blowing through her hair and Dan had to shield the match from the fierce wind to light his cigarette. But the shop windows that they were driving past were severely under-cranked and it looked like they were just going past them at a fast walking pace

But it was the sound of the squeaky wheel on the trolley that they used to move the demon that I liked the most

Was that really meant to be scary?

Steve

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    What makes me laugh in the seance scene is Athene Seyler. Watch her look under the table when she hears the girl has lost her dolly.

Liked
    0 times
    That 'squeaky wheel' effect is one of the scariest sounds in any film. When combined with the sparks and smoke as the Demon appears, it chills me to the bone.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy H
    That 'squeaky wheel' effect is one of the scariest sounds in any film. When combined with the sparks and smoke as the Demon appears, it chills me to the bone.
    Also Brian Wilde's portrayal of a man showing pure fear & shock is quite brilliant!

Liked
    0 times
    Indeed, Wadsy. The film is about people, their beliefs and fears, and what horrors can be afflicted by the power of suggestion...or is it.?

Anyway, we watched our recording of it on Sunday night, and it still had the same effect on me. Brrrr!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast