Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Many years ago it was seriously scary. But I've only watched to opening sequence up to where the monster appears and it does seem a bit creaky now

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I still enjoy it, it's not particularly scary but it's well made and suitably atmospheric. IMHO it's one of the best UK horror films.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    The inclusion of the monster wasn't the director's choice was it? Really rubbish demon but, that aside, the film isn't bad. And I have the two-film R1 DVD as well (after having a NTSC VHS of 'Curse' for years - long since discarded).

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Santonix
    I disagree, I think Andrews' role as Dr. Holden was well written. After all, the whole point is that Holden's character is an American who is an arrogant sceptic, with a closed mind, who wants to dismiss such matters as Demons, Witches and superstition as "bunk". He has even gone so far as to write a book about it and says that he has held these beliefs since childhood. He makes his living from writing and lecturing about it, at the same time trying to discredit those who believe in its existence.

It is as the film develops that we see his arrogance begin to diminish. We witness The Scientist who has so firmly and arrogantly nailed his colours to the mast suffer the realisation and fear that he may be wrong and that everything he has believed on this subject is going out of the window.

I think that Andrews plays the part well and to watch his character change into a desperate unsure frightened man who still tries to display an outer air of professionalism is very well played.

Over the years there has been comment about Andrews' role, even Peggy Cummins has come under fire. I am going to use Dr . Holden's expression here, "bunk".

The film is a classic because of what it is, the way it was written, produced, filmed, directed and acted by a great cast.
    Well said.

Night of the Demon surprised me when I saw it; I had never heard of it and had no expectations. It turned out to be a crisp, expertly made melodrama/thriller.

I agree about Dana Andrews as well: he is a favorite actor of mine and appeared in so many films as the quintessential American man of the 40s and 50s. Here, he is different and doesn't quite fit in, and the contrast is fascinating. He handles the slow change from disbelief to acceptance convincingly. His deadpan, forthright, serious manner is exactly right for the part and for an American of that era - a pragmatic man of few words. The contrast with the English is a major part of the story and is certainly never an issue in any of his American films.

The story would have seemed ridiculous in less skillful hands. As it is, the tension builds and develops smoothly and with the exception of the aforementioned ludicrous stuffed animal that "wrestles" with Andrews, it is well done.

Peggy Cummins is both beautiful and intelligent. I haven't seen her in many films.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by quippy
    Can I recommend The Cinema Of Nightfall, a fine book about the film career of Jacques Tourneur by Chris Fujiwara? Its superb. ISBN 0-8018-6561-1
    Thanks. I will look for that.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deckard
    I loved "Night of the demon" ever since I stayed up late(against my mum's wishes)one night and watched it on t.v.That was some 30-35 years ago and the memory of how it thrilled me has stayed with me ever since. Now I'm a so-called grown-up I still thrill every time I watch it - I find the lighting in the opening sequence just enthralling,it gave the car speeding down the country lanes such a eerie quality,that as soon as I see it the old childhood memories return.Isn't this the mark of a great film,that the impression it made on the viewer-however long ago they saw it-lasts for all time?I think so."Night of the demon" is one of those films,that from small beginnings grows into a classic purely from it's "watchability" it's after being impressed by that,we can go back and look again at the direction,photography,lighting acting,etc.Yep, a true British great.

Incedentally,Kate Bush is a big fan of British films(she might even post on this forum!)and went on to make an album called "The Red Shoes" mmmm I wonder where she got that inspiration? :)
    I saw it about the same time I think more like 37 years ago I was 14, Night of the Demon, I always remember when the 'evil' character said 'you passed the runes' to the American central character, and the parchment trying to escape through the carriage window. Great stuff!

Watched this again the other night...noticed Peggy Cummins car reg is ...666

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    One of my favourite films, and has been for ages. We even played a joke on another fan, a colleague of my husband. I made a slip of paper with runic script (saying something innocuous like 'all best wishes' or something similar) and it was put in a book which my husband then handed to him at work, saying he'd dropped it. It took him a few moments to open the book then went bananas, causing much bafflement among the rest of the workforce who had no idea what had cause so much hilarity. After that there was much passing of it back and forth.

Talking supernatural matters, we had a spooky moment whilst watching a repeat of an MR James story (originally recorded in the 70s). We were happily watching it and saying oh that looks as if they filmed it in -----, a cathedral town where my husband was currently working, and at that time had the use of a flat in a really old building during the week (and where I often stayed over), when the hairs on our necks went on end as we suddenly realised the interiors, dark though they were it had been filmed IN that flat!!! The view from the window was unmistakable and when my husband asked around people remembered that the place had been empty at the time and the location manager had indeed chosen it for the shoot. Somehow we never saw it in the same light afterwards.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by patacake
    One of my favourite films, and has been for ages. We even played a joke on another fan, a colleague of my husband. I made a slip of paper with runic script (saying something innocuous like 'all best wishes' or something similar) and it was put in a book which my husband then handed to him at work, saying he'd dropped it. It took him a few moments to open the book then went bananas, causing much bafflement among the rest of the workforce who had no idea what had cause so much hilarity. After that there was much passing of it back and forth.

Talking supernatural matters, we had a spooky moment whilst watching a repeat of an MR James story (originally recorded in the 70s). We were happily watching it and saying oh that looks as if they filmed it in -----, a cathedral town where my husband was currently working, and at that time had the use of a flat in a really old building during the week (and where I often stayed over), when the hairs on our necks went on end as we suddenly realised the interiors, dark though they were it had been filmed IN that flat!!! The view from the window was unmistakable and when my husband asked around people remembered that the place had been empty at the time and the location manager had indeed chosen it for the shoot. Somehow we never saw it in the same light afterwards.
    can you remember what m.r. james story it was? 'the stalls of barchester'?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    No, it was The Treasure of Abbott Thomas. (I loved the Stalls of Barchester)

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriesofedgarwallace
    Does anyone remember the last terrestrial TX of Night of the Demon?

BBC2, late 80s??

Saturday 28th June 1980

10.30pm -12.00am - Night of the Demon' (Sabre 1957)

Dana Andrews stars in what has been called Jacques Toumeur's most distinguished movie since his RKO days.

Senior Member Country: UK howardmitchell's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    personally, i loved it !

lots of atmosphere,very "english" and very good performances by the cast .

one of my favourites

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    This is an exceptionally eerie film (despite the Demon itself) and has some wonderfully-effective music, a motif of which is a feature of the curse, composed by Clifton Parker.

Senior Member Country: UK RogerThornhill's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times
    I have only seen it once and I enjoyed it. At the end I thought that the face and appearance of the demon was a little bit over the top bordering on being comical.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Yes the demon was rubbish but apparently was added against the director's wishes. Far more sinister are the bits where the threat is implied - the film itself is one of Dana Andrews' best roles, IMO. In the 50s he had started to coast a bit but this gave him something decent to play.

Liked
    182 times
    [quote'didi-5' timestamp=']

Yes the demon was rubbish but apparently was added against the director's wishes. Far more sinister are the bits where the threat is implied - the film itself is one of Dana Andrews' best roles, IMO. In the 50s he had started to coast a bit but this gave him something decent to play.

[/quote]

Sadly, I think it was drink that was Dana Andrews' downfall and he does sound quite slurred in a number of scenes in this film.

Senior Member Country: UK RogerThornhill's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times
    I know what you mean. I think that it would have been more effective if they could have made the demon look much darker and sinister which would have been much more in keeping with the film.

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerThornhill

I know what you mean. I think that it would have been more effective if they could have made the demon look much darker and sinister which would have been much more in keeping with the film.

I suppose it looked a bit naff the way he moved towards the victims but he sure scared the hell out of me! A truly great horror film for sure.

wellendcanons.

Liked
    182 times
    The well-integrated music and the sound effects for the coming of the demon certainly add to the atmosphere of the film. I think director Jacques Tourneur adopted quite a few of the techniques he had used on the Val Lewton RKO horror films he made in the early 40s.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    What, with the "terrifying" noise that made it sound like a supermarket trolley with a squeaky wheel?

Steve

Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook

What, with the "terrifying" noise that made it sound like a supermarket trolley with a squeaky wheel?

Steve
    That's exactly what I wanted to answer , the first apparition of the demon near the garage, always makes me tHink about the "wink-wink" of a "monster" hired on rolls , I think Tourneur never noticed this or he'd have remove that sound

But the apparition on the railroad, is very much integrated in the film style IMO....

Moon & Co.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast