Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    I think Tourneur never noticed this or he'd have removed that sound

The monster f/x scenes were all done long after Tourneur left the set. He would have had nothing to do with the dubbing of that sound. Tourneur even implied afterwards (umisleadingly) that the initial monster scene was added-in behind his back by producer Hal Chester.

Senior Member Country: UK Juniper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    For any one interested there is a book about the making of the film, Beating the Devil by Tony Earnshaw.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper

For any one interested there is a book about the making of the film, Beating the Devil by Tony Earnshaw.
    I have that book and would recommend it.

Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m35541

The monster f/x scenes were all done long after Tourneur left the set. He would have had nothing to do with the dubbing of that sound. Tourneur even implied afterwards (umisleadingly) that the initial monster scene was added-in behind his back by producer Hal Chester.
    I knew he didn't agree with showing the demon, it's a famous fact...

Recently, Bertrand Tavernier went in Bergerac (near Bordeaux) where Jacques Tourneur is buried, he was upset because tne tumb is a bit "neglected"

Tavernier �* Bergerac

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I thought the monster was truly horrible and scary, the way it came sort of treading slowly forward through the night air. I certainly wouldn't like to meet up with it on a dark night in an isolated country lane.

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Please indulge me whilst I copy & paste a contribution I made on another thread back in January, debating the very point as to whether the demon should or should not have been shown:

"I still think the idea of showing the demon was right. the fact that the "creature" had a cartoon dog's face was, I agree, a disappointment. A more Demonic/Balrog like fizzog would have worked better (my quickly knocked together amateurish "paint" alternative, on the right, still looks scarier to me than the original on the left):

Less isn't always more in my opinion...to use my "Balrog" analogy, had that creature's appearance been restricted to suggestive shadows and fleeting fiery glimpses in "The lord Of The Rings" I would have felt frustratingly short changed. My own vivid imagination would have gone into endless overdrive...I want to know what the director "sees" and not do the work for him.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this however."

The film itself is superb, and long overdue a DVD release. Nice to see that both "Night Of..." and the abbreviated "Curse Of..." will both be featured. For some years I was jinxed at being able to secure a copy, even on videotape - the last time I tried, the VCR conked out half way through recording and this exasperating episode was thereafter referred to in my household as "The Night Of The Curse Of The Night Of The Demon"

I seem to think it briefly surfaced as a Region 0 release available on Amazon, before disappearing. I strongly suspect someone snapped up many of the copies during this brief window of availability - someone (the same seller every time IIRC) has been steadily knocking them out one by one on ebay ever since that time.

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook

What, with the "terrifying" noise that made it sound like a supermarket trolley with a squeaky wheel?

Steve

Yeah... All right! Perhaps because I first saw this film as a child - you won't tell my parents will you? - the sight of the demon absolutely terrified me and my main reason for loving the demon is because of that effect it had on me at that time. To be fair I love the build up when you know the monster is coming. This film still grips me every time I see it and it is wonderfully atmospheric with the lights off. So personally, I am glad that the demon was seen, but I'm glad it was restricted to the beginning and the end of the film.

wellendcanons.

Liked
    144 times
    BritMovie free film of the day

Liked
    144 times

and don't forget the star:

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    Thanks moonfleet for all those excellent screencaps. I especially love the ones with the demon coming in for the kill and Brocket Hall looks very sinister in the b&w pic.

wec

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Excellent screen caps, thanks Moon. I visited Brocket Hall last year, but sadly could not get close to it so had to view it from the golf course.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I haven't seen this film in thirty (!) years. It was the first in a season of horror double bills on the BBC in '79 or '80, and I can remember buying a Radio Times because it had a huge picture of the demon on the cover. Well, I was only 10 and more interested in monsters than subtle horror at the time.
    Can't wait to watch it again tonight.

Senior Member Country: England duffy moon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    A sheer delight, even though I fell asleep after 30 mins last night (an hour ahead here on the continent, so a 2 a.m. start, watched the rest this afters), I have it on disc and it gets a viewing usually once or twice a year, together with the casting the runes bbc play, nothing better in the small hours when the winds a blowin' and the hearth's a glowin'.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain hhhhancock's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    One of my favourite films, I would have watched it again had I known it was being shown despite having copies of the US and the UK version...somewhere amongst my hoard of DVD's.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567