Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Family Way

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    I see that one of the lobby cards credits the music to Paul "Beatle" McCartney, as if hardly anybody knew who he was in 1967! Likewise, Bill "Alfie" Naughton.

Liked
    0 times
    Loved it! It's one of the first movies I saw in a theater.

Junior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw this film in New York City in July 1968, and I remember being very impressed by the honesty and sensitivity of its acting. The final, emotional line by John Mills is one of the most moving in all of cinema, I think. In fairness, I should state that some of the humour seems a bit obvious and forced (particularly the gossipy neighbours and the Beethoven excerpt to signify, uh, "victory"), but all in all a nicely told story. I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the stunning beauty of Hayley Mills, but she can act, too, and has the ability to capture most any scene in which she appears.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I enjoyed the stage version and am looking forward to the film of this adaptation of the original play. The updating worked very well (except for the final solution to the housing problem which made no sense at all )

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    One of my top 5 films of all time.........This is one I never tire of seeing again.......

Cheers
    Sgt S

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Not seen the film yet after 42 years but am intrigued as to the reason for its 'X' status except that it covered one of the "issues of the day" in the 1960's. Was there a particular scene that became a talking point and thereby justified the viewing public's "shame"? I'm comparing it in advance of forumers' replies to "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", an "X" certificate in 1969 but had the contentious item deleted owing to its choice in that year of The Royal Film Performance.

Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    Not seen the film yet after 42 years but am intrigued as to the reason for its 'X' status except that it covered one of the "issues of the day" in the 1960's. Was there a particular scene that became a talking point and thereby justified the viewing public's "shame"? I'm comparing it in advance of forumers' replies to "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", an "X" certificate in 1969 but had the contentious item deleted owing to its choice in that year of The Royal Film Performance.
    There is a very brief nude scene in the film (From behind we see Hayley putting a towel around her as she emerges from a bath). Apart from that I don't see why it would have needed an "X" Cert......even that scene is very brief and not sexual in any way......by todays standards it would seem very tame.....
    Cheers
    Sgt S

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    X-certificate - are you sure? I don't remember it as being that. There is absolutely nothing in it to justify that rating, especially in 1970!

Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    X-certificate - are you sure? I don't remember it as being that. There is absolutely nothing in it to justify that rating, especially in 1970!
    The film is from 1966 Geoffers.....
    The BBFC gave it a "AA" Rating in 1970.......wonder why they waited 4 years.....
    UK Release date.....18/12/66....
    Last edited by Sgt Sunshine; 07-12-10 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added extra line

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Sunshine View Post
    The film is from 1966 Geoffers.....
    The BBFC gave it a "AA" Rating in 1970.......wonder why they waited 4 years.....
    UK Release date.....18/12/66....
    Oh yes, sorry, it was 1966, though confusingly Films and Filming suggests it was February 1967! Anyway, I'm still puzzled as to the original X-cert. I remember seeing it not long after Alfie and could well understand why that was an X (though it's very tame today), but The Family Way? Maybe it was the title? Or perhaps the censor thought the subject matter was too "adult"?

The other odd thing about this film was that the Paul McCartney soundtrack album was *very* difficult to obtain at the time.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    I have a release date of 22 December,1966 at the Warner Leicester Square for the first run.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12