Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Family Way

Liked
    0 times
    what a fantastic film. an all british classic! and supurb casting by the Boulting brothers. hayley mills and hwyel bennet had such chemestry on screen. and i'm sure there are many people who can relate to topic broached in this film. an all round 10 out of 10. if you havent seen it your missing out on a absolutely brilliant film.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes Filmfan I must agre with all of your sentiments on this a most excellent of films.

All great with a superb supporting cast, my favourite bit is towards the end when Hwyel Bennett has dashed upstairs, and John Mills upon reporting this to his wife, son and daughter in law says "he walked through here like it was a public convenience" the whole scene is superbly played, perhaps one of Sir John's greatest roles.

Also a lovely score from Sir Paul

Wonderful

Liked
    0 times
    I have to agree What a Gem.

For me it is the subtle gentle acting that makes it one of my favorites.

It could so easily have been spoilt by a heavier hand but not one of the actors puts a foot wrong.

Gm

Liked
    0 times
    Is this film worth buying? I see it is out on DVD with 'The Accident'. Not heard of that one!! Are they both worth getting?

Thank you for your help :)

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    narrr...wait for the tv showing. The 'eee-by-gum' The Family Way score by a 1967 Paul McCartney is a laugh. At least it shows a Britain, in vision and attitudes, mostly lost now

Liked
    0 times
    "ACCIDENT" 1967 directed by Joseph Losey from Harold Pinters Screenplay. Filmed in flashback with great acting and dialogue from a strong cast.

"THE FAMILY WAY" 1966 directed by Roy Boulting from a play by Bill Naughton the writer of "ALFIE" 1966 and "SPRING AND PORT WINE" 1970. Hayley Mills first growen up film. Lots of good observation of family life of the time, funny and sad.

I would buy it sounds good value.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The family way is one of my alltime favourite films,great perfomances from john mills,hayley mills,majorie rhodes,hywel bennet,liz frasier,barry foster,diana coupland,wilfred pickles,the theme by mccartney has a melancolic lilt to it,i suspect as it was supervised by george martin the arrangements,strings etc were done by him. :) I especially like the way the father son relationship is portrayed,and means a lot to me personally.

forget about waiting for a tv showing,you'll be waiting forever.

I had never seen The Accident before,and it was aquired by default,i really liked it,dirk bogarde and stanly baker are great,it's slow moving but that adds to the atmosphere,it is harold pinter after all wink

cheers Ollie

Liked
    0 times
    I agree with Ollie The Family Way is one the greatest British films well worth it at any price, especially superb performances from Sir John, Marjorie Rhodes, and Avril Angers......

You will love it..

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I'd like to add my support to The Family Way and say I always laugh when the Marjorie Rhodes character relates the tale of how she walked into the Gents toilets by mistake, the look on her face as she remembers pure genius. I also always shed a tear during the arm wrestling.

Liked
    0 times
    I agree. I got the DVD last month and THE FAMILY WAY is a great little move which deserves to be better known (beyond the infirmy of Haily Mill's 'nude' scene). Some touching performances, especially from John Mills and Marjoire Rhodes.

Liked
    5 times
    I would agree that the Family Way was a great film i really loved it and iv watched it so many times but would always watch it again and again, i noticed that on some web sights it has deleted but on others it is still available so god only knows why?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    This feature from the October 1966 issue shows that the film was still using it's working title.

By February 1967, when this two-page article appeared, it had the (better) title we know today.

The caption for this photo can be found below, but I would like to add that, as well as John Comer and Murray Head, the vicar you see there is Thorley Walters and I also recognise Lesley Daine as the bridesmaid on the left. Sadly, Lesley died young. She has a thread here at 'Actors and Actresses'.

A fantastic collage of both sets of parents in the much-loved film.

I thought I'd leave the staples in this cropped scan!

A lot more stuff here but the site's undergone some changes recently and you may have to refresh the page a few times to see the pictures:

Family Way posters from MovieGoods.com

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    This feature from the October 1966 issue shows that the film was still using it's working title.

A fantastic collage of the main players in this much-loved film.
    True to your word Cornershop.. Good man

I think Murray Head went on to bigger & better things as a singer didn't he?

Have you scanned this from a mag in your collection?

Cheers

Sgt S

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Murray Head has been able to sustain a long career as both actor and singer. He was Oscar nominated for Sunday Bloody Sunday and had a hit in the 80s with one of the songs from Cats. He has also added writing to his CV. A very talented and likeable chap is Murray.

LINK: Murray Head :: The Official Website Of The Actor & Musician

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    True to your word Cornershop.. Good man

I think Murray Head went on to bigger & better things as a singer didn't he?

Have you scanned this from a mag in your collection?

Cheers

Sgt S
    As well as playing the lover of BOTH Glenda Jackson and Peter Finch in Sunday, Bloody Sunday, he's more recently been seen as a regular in Heartbeat. Brother of Anthony Head, from the Gold Blend coffee ads and the Prime Minister in Little Britain.

Yes. I'm determined to collect all the Film Review issues from the Sixties (at least!)

Murray Head has been able to sustain a long career as both actor and singer. He was Oscar nominated for Sunday Bloody Sunday and had a hit in the 80s with one of the songs from Cats. He has also added writing to his CV. A very talented and likeable chap is Murray.

LINK: Murray Head :: The Official Website Of The Actor & Musician
    If you're talking about One Night In Bangkok, I thought it was from Chess (written by Bjorn and Benny from ABBA)?

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times

If you're talking about One Night In Bangkok, I thought it was from Chess (writtenby Bjorn and Benny from ABBA)?
    It was from Chess ... a slip of the ol' typing finger there.

Liked
    212 times
    Thanks both for your replies......

Lucky old Murrey....he was the one who walked in when Halley was taking her bath

That first pic of Halley is one of the best pics I've seen of her....Cheers again

Sgt S

Senior Member Country: Australia Corinne's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    Hi Guys,

I loved this film. I'd forgotten all about it until I read your thread. I think this was possibly Hayley Mills best film & the two of them made a perfect pair. If the 60's was your era you can watch it now & relate to it. Younger generations wouldn't be able to so much.

I have been watching repeats of Man About the House - my all time fave TV series (Dr in the House a close 2nd) & the way Robin tries it on with Chrissy all the time. Her response was innocence/virginal/shock/prudish, but with a hint of flirting. I remember all of that & the clothes. It is a comedy but still relates to the "Family Way" in it's values of the time. I must see if I can get the DVD & watch it again.

Liked
    212 times
    Hi Guys,

I loved this film. I'd forgotten all about it until I read your thread. I think this was possibly Hayley Mills best film & the two of them made a perfect pair. If the 60's was your era you can watch it now & relate to it. Younger generations wouldn't be able to so much.

I have been watching repeats of Man About the House - my all time fave TV series (Dr in the House a close 2nd) & the way Robin tries it on with Chrissy all the time. Her response was innocence/virginal/shock/prudish, but with a hint of flirting. I remember all of that & the clothes. It is a comedy but still relates to the "Family Way" in it's values of the time. I must see if I can get the DVD & watch it again.
    Just for you Corrinne

I used to have a thing about Sally Thomsett too

The Family Way is my favourite Hayley Mills film....(of the ones I've seen)

Cheers

Sgt S

Liked
    0 times
    "it's life lad,it might make you laugh at your age,but one day it'll make you bloody cry "

One of my very faves,i wonder if Arthur was billy's son ?

cheers Ollie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast