Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Just finished watching San Demetrio - London. A fine tribute to the Merchant Navy,an otherwise forgotten group of men from the Second World War.

My father sailed in the Merchant Navy and not many realise there were more men killed in the Merchant Navy than any other British service during the war.

If the British film industry wants to make something original,why not a tribute story to the Merchant Navy?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    151 times
    There was Pat Jackson's acclaimed Western Approaches too. Sadly I've not seen it. frown

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Marky B:

Just finished watching San Demetrio - London. A fine tribute to the Merchant Navy,an otherwise forgotten group of men from the Second World War.

My father sailed in the Merchant Navy and not many realise there were more men killed in the Merchant Navy than any other British service during the war.

If the British film industry wants to make something original,why not a tribute story to the Merchant Navy?

Ta Ta

Marky B
    There should have been more (and still could be). One of the nasty things done to Merchant Seamen (I've heard) was that when they were torpedoed, the company reckoned that they'd left the ship so stopped their pay!

BTW In San Demetrio - London, did you notice that part at the beginning when the convoy was first attacked? That was based on a real event when HMS Jervis Bay, really no more than a lightly armed merchantman herself, saw that the convoy was being attacked by the "pocket battleship" Admiral Scheer. Had they got in amongst the convoy, the Germans would have sunk most of them. So the Jervis Bay went into the attack! They never got within range and every shell they fired fell short. When the German's 11 inch shells began to hit her, the Jervis Bay didn't last long but they also laid a lot of smoke and gained a bit of time that enabled the convoy to scatter.

The Admiral Sheer still managed to sink 5 of the 37 ships in the convoy but without the sacrifice of the Jervis Bay it would have been much worse. Captain Fegan of the Jervis Bay was awarded the Victoria Cross on behalf of his crew.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Does anybody know the name of the actor who plays Porter (Charles Victor's sidekick) in "San Demetrio London"?

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    This link may provide the answer.

San Demetrio London (1943) - Full cast and crew

Nick

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Nick, this is very helpful.

I reckon that the actor whose name I need is one of the generic deckhands: John Coyle, Rex Holt or Duncan MacIntyre.

Does anyone have a picture of these actors?

Thanks.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I remember this being on the box in the eighties, I started watching it and watched it to the end and was late for my appointment with a potential customer.The customer turned out to be a fan of British war films and eventually I got the business, very good film

Senior Member Country: Vietnam hankoler's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    I recently did a trade for this movie, a great film and a tribute to the merchant navy during the war.