Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    ‘The Man Who Haunted Himself’ gives us Roger Moore in perhaps his best acting role. Roger plays Pelham, a stuffy businessman, who after a near fatale car accident seems to be haunted by a stranger, a strange who looks like him…Gradually the stranger takes the place of Pelham, becomes him in effect.

For those who don’t think Roger can act should watch this movie, as Moore expertly plays the part of a man who is cracking up. The supporting cast is excellent, with the likes of Edward Chapman, John Carson and Freddy Jones popping up.

It was directed by the veteran Basil Dearden and was the director’s last movie (tragically he was killed some months after finishing the picture, in a car crash that mirrored the one in the movie, right down to its location.

If this film has a flaw, it’s that we are never quite told how this ‘haunting’ happened (some guff about Pelham’s repressed personality being liberated by his accident).

Both ‘And Soon The Darkness’ and ‘The Man Who Haunted Himself’ are obscure gems, living on in the memory of people who, just like me, happen to catch them playing on late night television. If you get the chance (and if you love dark thrillers) they are both well worth watching.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I'll second the vote for 'The Man Who haunted Himself'. A rare chance indeed to see Roger Moore actually acting, and very good he is too.

Yes there are a few holes in the plot, but not many. Overall it's a very good story very well handled.

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    It's one of the few occasions Moore successfully slips the 007/eyebrow-raising stereotype, maybe because it's his doppelganger that possess the suave charm and Pelham comes across as an everyday middle-class bank manager type. With a bit more depth and a diverting subplot it could have been even better whereas it turns into a bit of a pursuit film.

On a related not, I saw Moore in a film called Boat Trip last night - playing an ageing English queen..... eek!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    To TLPC,

Hi neighbour!

I agree with a lot of you that The Man Who Haunted Himself was our Rog's finest hour and a film that is sadly never on our tv screens.

However,in defence of our Rog,he is after all an entertainer who doesn't take himself too seriously,unlike a lot of prima donna's in this day and age.

I have a cut out from a local newspaper with Roger Moore,as Bond in Live and Let Die,sat relaxing reading the Hartlepool Mail.

I also remember him pulling out from the musical Aspects of Love because he didn't think he would be up to the job. Some just carry on and make a fool of themselves.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    1 times
    [For those who don�t think Roger can act should watch this movie, as Moore expertly plays the part of a man who is cracking up. The supporting cast is excellent, with the likes of Edward Chapman, John Carson and Freddy Jones popping up.

Does anyone have a transcript of the speech that Pelham makes. Along the lines of I may have not been the best husband but I have been the best husband that i could be. ??

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    I remember seeing it at the cinema in the 70s, it was a supporting feature in a double bill, I can't remember what the main feature was, it might have been a Bond film, perhaps someone out there might know. But I agree its Roger's finest 90 minutes. Those glimpses of 1970 London are fascinating, his barber shop "Trumpers" is around the corner from my house on Curzon St and that little corner of London has not changed one bit in 35 odd years since the film. Roger's commentary on the DVD is very entertaining, he doesn't seem to have one ounce of ego about him at all, very refreshing in this day and age. And that car! well it has been mentioned in other threads but I will mention it again here as I am a dedicated petrol head, but I want that vinatge silver Lamborghini Islero! �250k is the going price if you can find one! dream on!.....

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Late_Peter_Cook
    If this film has a flaw, it’s that we are never quite told how this ‘haunting’ happened (some guff about Pelham’s repressed personality being liberated by his accident).
    I actually prefer it this way. Too much rationalising can take away the impact of what happens in a Horror movie - it takes away the Mysterious when an explanation is given, in my opinion.

Much Western Horror does rationalise, whereas Eastern Horror tends not to rationalise - things just are. There are some exceptions in the west though... consider Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds' for instance as well as this fine movie under discussion.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph404
    Roger's commentary on the DVD is very entertaining, he doesn't seem to have one ounce of ego about him at all, very refreshing in this day and age.
    I love his opening comment - "God I look good with a moustache!"

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaryk Noctivagus
    Has this been released UK Region 2 DVD? I only have it on Region 1, I think (bought it some time ago though).
    Yes I have a Region 2 release, I bought it at least one year ago, I think it has been out a little while on region 2 at least 18 months. Its worth having for Roger Moore's commentary if that is not on the region 1 version.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Just watched this. Love Dearden at times, but this seemed a bit fo a comedown after DEAD OF NIGHT. I enjoyed: Moore, who was actually moving at times; the trippy ending; Olga Georges-Picot in her underwear. Enjoyed for camp value: Freddie Jones as a very bizarre shrink who burls Roger about in a swivel chair for no discernible reason (centrifugal therapy?); the macho business world stuff; the espionage type meetings at the planetarium, in a pond, etc; Thorley Walters OTT jollity. But I couldn't really respect the film as a serious effort, it was too ludicrous. Enjoyable though, I could imagine it making a good double bill with EYES WIDE SHUT.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    It's been years since I've seen this film, but I remember that a I enjoyed it. Wouldn't mind watching it again.

Liked
    0 times
    Saw this when I was a kid and loved the late sixties style of the film - the suits, the cars, the colours and, of course, our Rog (who still looked very cool, back then). The look of the film was very glossy in a very British kind of way. Not unlike The Saint or The Avengers, I suppose.

Did he appear in another film at about the same time (or a year or two later - before the Bond stuff)? I'm sure that I can remember a scene where he gatecrashes a late sixties/early seventies counter culture party-cum-disco....or does that scene actually occur in The Man Who Haunted Himself ?

Liked
    0 times
    I've always liked Moore and I get irritated when people take the "fashionable" position of dismissing him in favour of (the excellent) Sean Connery as James Bond.

After hearing all the recommendations I'll definitely be checking this film out -- I believe it's available now on DVD...

Liked
    0 times
    The Italian sportscar featured in the film against the Rover P5 is still very much alive and on the road - it was on show at the recent Bristol Italian Day - last month, having recently come out of a private collection

Liked
    0 times
    Great film, great era, bought this on Region 1 about 5 years ago, always loved it

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Yes, I bought the R1 too as I wasn't sure if it would ever get released over here.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes wasn't sure but couldn't wait anyway, just out of interest which character did Roger Lloyd Pack's father play as can't find any pics of him on the net

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HIPPIEDAVE
    Yes wasn't sure but couldn't wait anyway, just out of interest which character did Roger Lloyd Pack's father play as can't find any pics of him on the net
    Charles Lloyd Pack in TMWHH ...

... he played one of Pelham's business associates.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    From my own personal collection here in Wolverhampton, hope this will be of interest

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphod
    The Italian sportscar featured in the film against the Rover P5 is still very much alive and on the road - it was on show at the recent Bristol Italian Day - last month, having recently come out of a private collection
    Here she is!
    filmcar.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast