Thread: Nuns on the Run

Liked
    0 times
    What is everyone's view upon this film?

i thought it had classic momnets but can be seen in today's collection a bit dated,but i still think the gags and the jokes run smoothly and are seen as classics.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought it for £2.99 last Christmas - it caught my attention simply because I'd never seen it. However, I was intrigued because I remember seeing the trailers when it was launched in the UK during my mid-teens.

I always think of the 90's as being very much my era, so it left me with a bit of a shock to realise just how dated 1990 is!!

The obvious answer I suppose is that it was, after all, over 16 years ago!!

Whilst I don't think the film deserves classic status, nontheless, I enjoyed it and thought it had some good dialogue. My favourite scene is where Charlie McManus (Robbie Coltraine) introuduces himself and Brian Hope (Eric Idle) as Sister Euphemia and Sister Inviolata - the look on Brian's face as he asks Charlie where the hell he got those names from is a classic for me.

Also, a particularly good one for car spotters as there was a lot of location shots. I seem to remember that the main villain of the piece drove a favourite of mine - a black Jaguar XJ (even if it was the XJ40 version).

I stand to be corrected, but the film is also notable for being one of the final appearances by the late Doris Hare (she's most remebered for playing Mum in the 'On The Buses' series).

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    I was watching this great comedy again a few days ago. I've always liked Eric Idle and Robbie Coltrane, who is a great actor.

Senior Member Country: UK Sleepin_Dragon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    It is such a good movie, really good fun, i love Camille Coduri in it, hilarious

Liked
    0 times
    Personally, I don't have a particular view on the film, but I do remember that it was almost universally panned by the critics on it's release.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Nuns on the Run (1990)

Is it true that an original outtake from this film was kept in during the final edit? I'm referring to the scene where Robbie Coltrane is sitting on the bed and the picture on the wall behind him falls on his head.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Hi.

This is one of my favorite films!

VERY funny!

"You call this, going straight????????"

xx

Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EHV_Emmetts
    Nuns on the Run (1990)

Is it true that an original outtake from this film was kept in during the final edit? I'm referring to the scene where Robbie Coltrane is sitting on the bed and the picture on the wall behind him falls on his head.

That is a very funny scene, where he's describing the Trinity to Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by faginsgirl
    Hi.

This is one of my favorite films!

VERY funny!

"You call this, going straight????????"

xx

That is one of the best one-liners I've ever heard in a comedy!

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Favourite bit is in the chemists buying shaving equipment dressed as nuns. When the assistant looks surprised Eric Idle leans out from behind Coltrane and says.... "We're very hairy".

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuffy
    I bought it for £2.99 last Christmas - it caught my attention simply because I'd never seen it. However, I was intrigued because I remember seeing the trailers when it was launched in the UK during my mid-teens.

I stand to be corrected, but the film is also notable for being one of the final appearances by the late Doris Hare (she's most remebered for playing Mum in the 'On The Buses' series).
    Yes, sadly she died in 2000 - good old mum

I dont have the film myself, so is anyone able to get a screenshot of Doris in the film please?

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeAFB
    Personally, I don't have a particular view on the film, but I do remember that it was almost universally panned by the critics on it's release.
    I enjoyed the film, and again this has proved to me personally that I would rather watch it then form my own opinion, some of the films that have been panned now have pride of place in my collection....

Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeAFB

I don't understand that, unless those who panned it don't appreciate British comedy.

The rest of us do.

Liked
    0 times
    I've still got a poster from the film on my bedroom wall.....er...that is on a spare bedroom wall. That was one of my childrens rooms.....if you understand what I mean?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    nuns on the run is brilliant! i can remember it being the third film rated '12' to come out. i thought the shower scenes were a bit saucey for a 12 year old. not that i was complaining

Liked
    0 times
    I loved nuns on the run that was a classic comedy! it's a great laugh with both eric idle and robbie coltraine pretending to be nuns.

they were brilliant!

I love that movie

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    I think, it recent years (the last 20 years is recent for film, right?) that it is a classic British comedy. I find it far funnier than anything Richard Curtis has brought out for example.

I love the music too! My dvd copy's back home in Grimsby so I can't check what/who it is, can anyone help me out?