Recently caught C4's revisionist take on ALICE (which I confess I picked up mainly due to Kate Beckinsale's participation) and was mightily impressed. Sadly, this is the kind of fantasy that British Cinema is generally steadfastly opposed to and usually has to sneak out, as here. The comedy and in-jokes are a big risk and probably come close to disaster but in the final tally they add to the film's unique flavour. The cast generally impress, and I'm sure it's only me, who incidentally never saw I'M ALAN PARTRIDGE, that can't help but hear "I'm Tony Wilson!" whenever he speaks. I don't think I've seen any of director John Henderson's other work and looking thru his filmog nothing particularly appeals to me, though a couple are available on DVD.

The Japanese DVD presents the film in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TV's and looks pretty good. Some of the dialogue (esp. the Tweedle-Dee Tweedle-Dum bit) I found very hard to catch though whether the fault lies with the original recording, the disc or my set-up I'm not 100% sure. Packaging is very nice, so if you've fond memories of the TV screening I'd say go for it.

Miles