Thread: Lost (1955)

Liked
    0 times
    I first saw this at a very tender age with, presumably, Kia-ora squash and Eldorado ice cream dribbling down my bib. I was enthralled by this thriller, concerning the search for an infant who has been kidnapped and which is full of blind alleys and red herrings, even then and I was so pleased when it was shown on TV a year or two ago.

Watching the video recording I made of it again last night I was struck by what a fine collection of character-actors forms the cast of this film; David Farrar heads a list which includes, in cameo roles (to name a few),Thora Hird, Marjorie Rhodes, Joan Hickson, Dandy Nichols, Mona Washbourne, Barbara Windsor, Joan Sims (both of the latter in pre-"Carry on" days)and Michael Ward as a splendidly supercilious dressmaker. Take a look at the full cast list for this film on IMDB and see how many other actors/actresses you can identify.

A fine score by the excellent Benjamin Frankel provides an evocative background to the drama.

As I ejected my video at the conclusion of "Lost" my TV tuned in to a present-day "masterpiece" in which Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy were hurling a barrage of various scatological and sexual expletives at each other; I reflected that the scriptwriters of "Lost" had managed to hold my attention for a full ninety minutes without the use of even a single "Cor blimey!"

Liked
    0 times
    ALBABSON - YOU SAID IT ALL!!! scarf

Liked
    1 times
    'Lost' versus Eddie Murphy/Nick Nolte's need to express everything in words of four letters.

For a perfect example of why the former in more powerful than the latter, see "Russ's" comment in "Marky B's" post on 'The Battle of Britain' in Forum section Favorite British Movies (p.3). Ralph Richardson responds to Kurt Jurgens' comment that the Brits should surrender to Hitler.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    Albabson, your point is further reinforced by the report in today's paper about the over-50s screening of THE LADYKILLERS in Whitley Bay which turned out to be not the Ealing comedy they were expecting but the expletive-laden remake. 400 of the 650 audience left before half-time. Brilliant!

Liked
    0 times
    11.10am and my day is already made. Thanks for that Hugo.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    In between the shopping and getting scalped on Monday,I saw bits of an old British film called Lost,starring David Farrar and David Knight. What intrigued me about it was Eleanor Summerfield playing a CID sergeant. Now nothing against the fact,but it is not often you see a film with women in CID roles in films of that period. Or maybe she was in plain clothes as a liason with the kidnapped boy's parents.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I haven't seen Lost for ages but I think she was seconded over from 'The Women's Police'.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Wasn't Eleanor S in STREET CORNER, about lady bobbies on the beat in Chelsea ?

Perhaps a missing child investigation would be seen as a more appropriate task for a lady police officer, leaving the bank robbers et al to the more macho male copppers.......

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    It was written and made in the mid-50s, so I can't see it not being factual. David Farrar needed extra staff to solve his case and she was a sergeant sent to help - maybe because a baby was involved? They had this strange idea in those days that all women were maternal; Myra Hindley changed all that of course.

I saw this film for the first time this week and thought that anybody who has grown up with the police working in our 'great technological age' should watch it to see how REAL police work was done.

I don't really believe that technology alone is a substitute for the instincts, experience and dedication of the old-fashioned coppers.

Good film though.

DS x.

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Apologies if there is already a thread dedicated to this, but I can't find one.

I recently saw the 1956 film 'Lost' for the second time and was struck by how effective the suspense is built as the story unfolds. It's centered around an 18-month-old baby boy (Simon) who is abducted in his pram from outside a shop in London. The parents, US embassy worker Lee Cochrane (David Knight) and his wife Sue, (Julia Arnall) are distraught.Detective Inspector Craig (David Farrar) tries to locate the child, but clues are very hard to find. However, at the last possible moment, Farrar rescues the child from a potentailly terrible cliff-top fate from his kidnapper, a mentally unbalanced widow

Very well acted and directed by Guy Green, this is a very enjoyable film, with the added bonus that as much of it is shot on location, we get a truly fascinating look at the city in the mid fifties. Julia Arnall is convincing as the distraught mother and it came as something of a surprise to me that Rank cancelled her contract shortly afterwards. Future stars Shirley Anne Field, Barbara Windsor and Joan Sims all make appearances and there are nice cameos from old-hands such as Thora Hird, Marjorie Rhodes, Joan Hickson, Everley Gregg, Dandy Nichols and Mona Washbourne. There is also a lovely supporting performance from Eleanor Summerfield as a policewoman.

A cracking film, well deserving of a release on dvd. Released in the US under the title 'Tears For Simon'

Nanny about to leave baby Simon in his pram outside the shop

Barbara Windsor and Glenda Davies talking to shop-owner Joan Hickson

Simon's parents, Lee and Sue Cochrane, (David Knight and Julia Arnall) with Detective Inspector Craig (David Farrar)

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I agree, it's a very good film

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook

I agree, it's a very good film

Steve
    Yes, I enjoyed this, too. However, I did not think either David Knight or Julia Arnall made convincing parents. In fact, I found the latter's performance quite irritating.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers

Yes, I enjoyed this, too. However, I did not think either David Knight or Julia Arnall made convincing parents. In fact, I found the latter's performance quite irritating.
    Maybe Rank did, too and that's why they got rid of her.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers

Or is it that they were good actors - playing people who were bad parents?

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Re: Lost

Is it my eyes , or do those fountains (in Kensington Gardens, in the scene were Julia Arnall is seen walking through the pathway that's between the fountains) seem to be spraying higher into the air than they normally do any other day?