Thread: Life For Ruth

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Going through the favourite British actresses thread,and about Janet Monro,Liam from Dublin has reminded me of a little gem of film from the sixties,Life For Ruth.

Made in 1962 and directed by Basil Dearden,it starred Michael Craig,Janet Monro,Patrick McGoohan and Frank Finlay.

It came to me one morning a few years,when it was shown on television. Never heard of it,it didn't exactly appeal to me,but nonetheless after making breakfast I decided to watch it with my dad.

The film starts with a little girl being injured in a boating accident. Her father Michael Craig with her mother Janet Monro declined a blood transfusion based on his religious beliefs and subsequently the girl dies. The doctor,Patrick McGoohan,decides to take the action further by trying to sue Craig for murder.

The film,based on a true story,was filmed in Seaham,between Sunderland and Hartlepool (I believe the actual incident took place in the north east) and the court proceedings took place in Durham.

Apart from the fact it was filmed near where I live,the film touched a little chord with me. I am not getting into arguments about the stand by Michael Craig's character,but I just wanted to say it is a much inheralded film,not entertainment,a little gem.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky B
    Going through the favourite British actresses thread,and about Janet Monro,Liam from Dublin has reminded me of a little gem of film from the sixties,Life For Ruth.

Made in 1962 and directed by Basil Dearden,it starred Michael Craig,Janet Monro,Patrick McGoohan and Frank Finlay.

It came to me one morning a few years,when it was shown on television. Never heard of it,it didn't exactly appeal to me,but nonetheless after making breakfast I decided to watch it with my dad.

I must have just missed it!!............:mad:

Will it ever come our way again? I have been scouring the TV Schedules for this movie for the last two or more years and never spotted it once. So far as I can tell it has never been released on VT, never mind DVD.

McGoohan also played opposite Michael Craig in the 1958 African epic, "Nor the Moon by Night", when they were both Rank starlets. That film was also Belinda Lee's last British movie before she decamped to the Continent. Michael Craig emigrated to Australia in 1970 and is still active, though apparently nowadays, he prefers Golf.....

Boyo's way with words - Arts - Entertainment - theage.com.au

Liked
    69 times
    It is one of those films that must orbit the television schedules and lands at random at some channel. I started this post just over two years,and it was a few years before that when I saw it. You'll just have to keep looking at the telly schedules,

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: United States rjd0309's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moor Larkin
    So far as I can tell it has never been released on VT, never mind DVD.

I have this on DVD, received from a friend who recorded it off Australian tv.

Send me a PM and we'll work it out.

Liked
    120 times
    Network are advertising this as a 'forthcoming release' in June

It will be interesting to see what 'extras' are included. Something about Janet Munro perhaps.......

Liked
    120 times
    Not much in the way of Extras really apart from the Trailer, which rather over-egged the pudding............

Spotted these a while back, so maybe you can use them as 'hidden extras'....

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/fea...hnnorth/displa...

followed by the solution and a nice happy ending

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/fea...hnnorth/displa...

"I wouldn't say we were the envy of the town, but we were maybe the talk of it," said Margaret. "Patrick McGoohan was a real charmer, absolutely lovely, everyone wanted to talk to him, but I wouldn't like to say what I thought of some of the others."

Liked
    1 times
    Quite topical bearing in mind the pregnant lady who died recently giving birth because her faith would not let have a blood transfusion.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain CALF28's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I watched this film last night and couldn't help thinking that Patrick McGoohan and Michael Craig had picked up the wrong scripts. Patrick McGoohan might have been better as the religious father and Michael Craig as the doctor, or have I been conditioned by Emergency Ward 10?
    Then there's the curious behaviour of the glass in the front door. When it's opened it has speckled glass and when it's closed it has rippled glass. A good trick if you can do it!
    Overall not a bad film, a serious subject and a bit grim in places, not sure if I'd watch it again though.