Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    After all these years and I never knew about the book. I must have seen this film a 100 times and never noticed it was from a novel. Strange finish with MSM Tom Pugh and Sister Murdoch as an item. With the casting MSM Tom Pugh (Harry Andrews) should have walked off into the sun set with Hauptman otto Lutz (Anthony Quayle).

Rennie
    Ha Ha!!!! By the way, even Quayle's character name was changed from the book.

PS There was a short interview with Sylvia Sym in Saturday's ( 7/08/04) Telegraph supplement. It was all about the horrendous conditions the cast had to endure on location for ICIA in and around Tripoli, as apparently they could not film in Egypt. She, and the rest of the female cast had the 'luxury' of an mud building, whilst the men had to make do with tents. She recalls that she visited Victor Mature, also on location nearby, and was very impressed with his air conditioned caravan!!!! She doesn't name the film, but guess it may of been 'Timbuktu'(1958).

Liked
    0 times
    The film Mature was working on was "NO TIME TO DIE" aka "TANKFORCE" a Warwick Prodution. David Lodge tells in his book how he had parts in both films.

Rennie
    Cheers Hackett. Mature seemed to have made a few deserty films around 1958. Maybe he did a job lot!!!

PS: This has now become a fine example of a 'thread' getting off the original subject. We have now digressed from Sylvia Syms cleavage to Victor Mature, ending up with nothing connected to Brit films!!! (Henry will be rapping my knuckles. LOL)

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    Smudge said:

Somebody said that the bar interior was a set at Shepperton - wasn't ICIA an ABPC Elstree shot picture ? If not, forgive an ageing memory...

You are correct ABPC(Associated British Picture Corporation) was the studio that made this picture not Shepperton.

In the new dvd of John Mills' home movies he describes how Hayley and he were on their way to Shepperton going over lines on "Tiger Bay" when it should have been Beaconsfield.

Sorry to go slightly off topic.

Liked
    0 times
    Mature seemed to have made a few deserty films around 1958. Maybe he did a job lot!!!

PS: This has now become a fine example of a 'thread' getting off the original subject. We have now digressed from Sylvia Syms cleavage to Victor Mature, ending up with nothing connected to Brit films!!! (Henry will be rapping my knuckles. LOL) [/quote]Groucho Marx said after watching Victor Mature in "SAMSON AND DELILAH" 1949: "Its the first time I,ve seen a film when the leading mans tits are bigger than the female star.

Not bad for a thread Victor Mature, cleavage? alright I'll get my coat.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Hackett,

Please don't get your coat!

regards

Freddy

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    In the new dvd of John Mills' home movies he describes how Hayley and he were on their way to Shepperton going over lines on "Tiger Bay" when it should have been Beaconsfield.
    Hi Stephen -

Can you tell me what that DVD is of Sir John's ? Thanks.

As for Hackett's Victor Mature remark - I think that's a darned ingenious (and humourous) addtion to the thread !

I agree - leave that coat on the hanger...

SMUDGE

Liked
    151 times
    smudge:

Can you tell me what that DVD is of Sir John's ? Thanks.
    Moving Memories.

Liked
    243 times
    Was chatting to an old chap in the pub some time ago and he said that he served with Sir Anthony Quayle in the army, operating behind enemy lines in the Med. islands. Looking at his brief biog in IMDb he was a Major in the army. his own personal quote was

If life doesn't have that little bit of danger, you'd better create it. If life hands you that danger, accept it gratefully."

Can anybody else add to this.

thankyou

Freddy

Liked
    243 times
    Sad to see Frederick Jaeger died on 18th June 2004(see thread) and also Richard Marner 18th March 2004.

Both played in ICIA as Germans though Richard Marner was Russian by birth he was to play in Allo Allo as well.

regards

Freddy

Rennie
    Freddy

I have a copy of a recent US book 'International Stars At War' which I helped research. It has about 5-6 pages on Quayle's war, along with a multitude of other Brits. If you contact me I can send you copies of the relevant pages. He was in Gibralter and the Balkans. A very, very brave an unassuming man. It is incredible how many actors who featured in war films had similar exploits in the real war. Jack Hawkins, Denholm Elliot, Christopher Lee, and in particular Richard Todd, and Laurence Harvey were all very brave men.

Rennie
    In a documentary on Sir John Mills shown on TV over Christmas, there was some colour film of 'Ice Cold In Alex'. This did not appear to be Mills' own 8mm cine footage, but of actual scenes in the film which appeared identical to those shown in the completed black and white film. Can anyone shed any light on this? (Unfortunately I have taped over 95% of the documentary, and probably missed the answer!!)

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Rennie

I saw the documentary, and very interesting it was too. Not sure it helps at all, but my impression was that all the colour footage shown was Sir John's own home movies. Similar thing for the colour footage of Dunkirk.

rgds

Rob :)

Liked
    0 times
    All is not lost. This programme was released in the UK on video in December, 2000, on Black Diamond video, catalogue number BD 0900. Check with amazon.co.uk or your local video store. It may still be available. The title is "Sir John Mill's Moving Memories."

Rennie
    HI Rob. Thanks for your reply. As I pointed out in my original postings, I knew the colour film was from John Mills'collection, but what puzzled me was that a couple of the scenes shown seemed to be identical to those included in the actual black and white film.

Rennie
    HI David. Thanks for your interest. Will search for a copy. I have other private replies offering copies of their recordings but unfortunately all want outrageous sums of money!!!

Liked
    0 times
    I just checked amazon UK. It's available on both video and DVD. The video version is cheaper. It's quite possible that the reasons why the 35mm feature film scene and Mills 16mm scene look very similar is that the Mills scene may have been taken of a rehearsal when they were setting up the shot for the feature film. Just a thought.

Rennie
    Hi David. Maybe. As I said have deleted most of the documentary in error, but I do remember that one of the colour scenes did include Mills himself. I would love to have compared the scenes as I am positive they are one and the same.

Junior Member Country: France
    Liked
    0 times
    Do you always have the book about which you spoke (I know that your post is now old)? If you always have it, I would be very interested by the pages that mention the service carried out by Anthony Quayle in the army during the second world war.

Gwell

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast