Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    This is another of my favorite films. Alan Bates is the draghtsman who must marry a girlfriend he works with after getting her pregnant after one nervous encounter! They have to live with her mother - brilliantly played by Thora Hird - talk about the mother in law from hell! One of the best scenes is when Alan Bates gets drunk after a night out and is sick behind the sofa after being ranted at by Thora and she ends up hammering at him over and over "filty pig". A true film of its times - set in a northern town - a young couple terrified of what the future may hold for them. Everyone talking about them because of the taboo of pregnancy out of wedlock! Another great scene is where they argue and he ends up going to his sister's place, it's early morning and he's there having a cup of tea and she's saying "well you can't stay here", you can almost feel the helplessness of him in wanting to get away and knowing that he has a responsibility. Let's face it, the thought of going back to Thora's ranting is enough as it is. There's also some actors in early roles in this film as well. Even Alf Roberts (corner shop - corrie) as the bus conductor. James Bolam. Leonard Rossiter.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, a great film...the feeling of how bleak the times were(just a few years before the sixties started to swing!)was potrayed excellently. If I remember correctly(risky with my grey matter!)that the "nude" scene with June Ritchie(also excellent btw) and Bates caused quite a stir at the time, yep, times have certainly changed. Regards, Decks.

Liked
    0 times
    I don't think June had a "nude" scene in LOVING (though it's been years since I saw the movie) but she did go topless for THIS IS MY STREET, which suprised me quite a bit when I saw it (I wasn't expecting such nudity in an early 'sixties movie).

Back to LOVING, I used to adore this movie (and the book it was based on) and prefered it to SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING. June Ritche was a bit of a stunner in her day while Thora is stunning in a different way...

Liked
    0 times
    I'm not sure but did Alan Sillitoe write a sequel book about Arthur Seaton?. They showed "SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING" on TV a while ago. After the film they had a round table like chat with Shirley Anne Field, Alan Sillitoe and others. The subject of what happend to Arthur and Doreen came up. Sillitoe mentioned about another book but I don't know if it came to anything.

Liked
    0 times
    The_Late_Peter_Cook:

I don't think June had a "nude" scene in LOVING (though it's been years since I saw the movie)
    The June Ritchie nude scene is when(now I think this is right, because my memory 'ain't none to good either wink )she and Alan Bates are in the frontroom and she's sitting on the sofa and things erm.. get a little heated and she starts undressing........I hope this jogs the old memory :) regards, Decks.

Liked
    0 times
    Actually, the scene starts with them taking full advantage of her mother's empty house while her mother is away. It begins with a tickling session on the sofa. One thing leads to another and Vic wants Ingrid to undress for him. But she is too shy to undress in front of him and asks him to leave the room while she does it. So he goes upstairs and tinkers around in the bathroom for a couple of minutes and then goes back downstairs and into the room and finds her sitting naked in front of the fire, waiting for him apprehensively. This scene was indeed considered very daring at the time, but looks pretty tame by today's standards.

By coincidence, A KIND OF LOVING, which was an X certificate film, was the film that was showing at the Plaza cinema in Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent, when I started work there as a 15 years old trainee projectionist in 1962 and I have fond memories of the film. It seems that although I wasn't allowed to see this film as a patron, being under 16 at the time, it was alright for me to watch it from the safety of the projection room.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that, I had forgotten all about that scene, probably because it must be over ten years since I've seen.

There have been a couple of semi-sequels to SATURDAY NIGHT (there might be more, as I read them around the early 'ninties), in which Arthur's older brother Brian (I think) gets the spotlight. These books seemed to me a bit autobiographical, as Arthur's brother eventually becomes a writer.

Liked
    0 times
    l've recently been doing some research into the film 'a kind of loving' and would love to here stories from anyone connected i.e. extras, actors et. Some of it was filmed in my home town of Preston and l know a lot of the film locations that were used. What's happened to June Ritchie...where is she and what is she doing these days? l'd be grateful of any info.

Liked
    4 times

"I'm not sure but did Alan Sillitoe write a sequel book about Arthur Seaton?"

The sequel to 'Saturday Night And Sunday Morning' was called BIRTHDAY and was published in 2001. It is about the reunion, after 40 years, of Arthur Seaton and his brother Brian.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that Hugo. I didn't think I'd get to know the name of the book after the tread got on to June Richie's tit's. That's the trouble with this site too many smutty phallus..sorry philistines.

Liked
    0 times
    I remember seeing AKOL when it was released - but can only remember Alan Bates throwing up behind Thora Hird's sofa!!

June Richie was lovely too - high heels and stockings . . . . ohh! nurse, the screens . . .!

blush

Liked
    0 times
    haha. That scene sticks in my mind as well Jim. Marvellous acting from Thora. I think June Richie was Thora's real daughter(??). The nude scene described by David is spot on! Another wonderful scene of two people, very shy and nervous. This film's depictions of the times and attitudes of people is done beautifully.

Liked
    0 times
    Dolly Bantree:

haha. That scene sticks in my mind as well Jim. Marvellous acting from Thora. I think June Richie was Thora's real daughter(??). The nude scene described by David is spot on! Another wonderful scene of two people, very shy and nervous. This film's depictions of the times and attitudes of people is done beautifully.
    Dolly, I think Janet (screams a lot) Scott, is/was Thora's daughter.

Always liked old Batesy; was saddened to hear of his death some time ago. frown

Liked
    0 times
    An excellent film, but the early 1980s Granada tv version featuring Clive Wood, Joanne Whalley and Susan Penhalligon seems to have been unjustly forgotten about, doesn't seem to avaliable on VHS or DVD for instance.

It complimented the original film and continued Vic's story into the 1970s.

Liked
    0 times
    I love this film too. It's definitely one of my absolute favourites.

Regarding the book and sequels. Stan Barstow did write a 2 more volumes in the Vic Brown trilogy. Vics' furthur adventures continue in "Watchers on the Shore" and "The Right True End". Both excellent, but I won't give away any plotlines. :

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deckard
    Yes, a great film...the feeling of how bleak the times were(just a few years before the sixties started to swing!)was potrayed excellently. If I remember correctly(risky with my grey matter!)that the "nude" scene with June Ritchie(also excellent btw) and Bates caused quite a stir at the time, yep, times have certainly changed. Regards, Decks.
    A great movie.

The nude scene certainly caused a bit of a stir in the back row of the Granada cinema in the late sixties.

A scene that would cause a bit of a stir today (harumphs, goes red in the face and waves copy of Daily Telegraph) is where the chap playing Alan Bates' father, tells his son to stop whingeing and make a go of things.

Liked
    0 times
    All of the films from the early sixties that attempted to show working-class life were extremely liberating. Albert Finney as Arthur Seaton made a huge impact in our family.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Vic was close to his newly married sister, so when things started to get on top of him, he started to confide in his sister. She did not sympathise but merely said its your bed vic lie on it. This to me was a stunning piece of acting and dialogue and I always remember this scene, even more than the 'you pig, you dirty filthy pig' Is it me or did the guy that vics sister got married to look about 60 and vics parents about 80???

Liked
    0 times
    according to IMB June Ritchie last appeared in a film in 1988

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
    All of the films from the early sixties that attempted to show working-class life were extremely liberating. Albert Finney as Arthur Seaton made a huge impact in our family.
    Agree 100%. Saturday Night & Sunday Morning,A Kind of Loving,A Taste of Honey, all fantastic. There were others from that era also in the same vein. Has anyone a particular favourite that can be grouped with these films???:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast