Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    The fabulous Powell & Pressburger website has given me the locations to where many of my favourite films were made.

One thing i havn't been able to confirm though is the location of the waterfall in 'I Know Where I'm Going' if one does indeed exist.

That's the waterfall seen located by a telephone box in the film.

Is the waterfall a natural wonder or was it concocted in the studio?

Dave.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    David Brent:

The fabulous Powell & Pressburger website has given me the locations to where many of my favourite films were made.

One thing i havn't been able to confirm though is the location of the waterfall in 'I Know Where I'm Going' if one does indeed exist.

That's the waterfall seen located by a telephone box in the film.

Is the waterfall a natural wonder or was it concocted in the studio?

Dave.
    Thanks Dave.

Oh yes, it's completely natural and does indeed have the phone box quite close to it. Although they chose a camera angle and tweaked the sound effects a bit to make it seem like the waterfall was a bit bigger & closer and interfered with phone calls even more than it actually does.

It's near Carsaig, on Mull. See the trips to Mull that some of the PaPAS group have done. There are some photos of it there.

Steve

Liked
    1 times
    Many,many thanks Steve.

I'd missed that part of the website.

Have you ever been to Mull yourself?

Every time i get to see 'I Know Where I'm Going' and 'A Canterbury Tale' ect.. i get a great yearning to visit the locations used in filming.

I hope to do it one day soon.

Gee,that phone box certainly looks like it's in the middle of nowhere.That's why i origionally thought it probably wasn't real.

Great to know the old red box is still there.

Again many thanks mate.

Dave.

Liked
    418 times
    David Brent:

Many,many thanks Steve.

I'd missed that part of the website.

Have you ever been to Mull yourself?

Every time i get to see 'I Know Where I'm Going' and 'A Canterbury Tale' ect.. i get a great yearning to visit the locations used in filming.

I hope to do it one day soon.

Gee,that phone box certainly looks like it's in the middle of nowhere.That's why i origionally thought it probably wasn't real.

Great to know the old red box is still there.

Again many thanks mate.

Dave.
    There are some other good ones in the 'P&P Trips' area of the web site. It includes some reports & pictures from screenings or festivals and location trips. Lots of visits to Canterbury, also some visits to Shropshire to see the locations used in Gone to Earth and some screenings there.

I have been to Mull, but not for a few decades.

Whenever I see They're a Weird Mob or Age of Consent I get a yearning to visit those places :)

It was still a red box when the last PaPAS member visited it last year. Let's hope they can keep it that way. I once even met the BT Engineer who had been in charge of siting the phone box there. He denied that it was a dry summer when they put it in. It was just a fairly central location for the community around Carsaig. It doesn't really interfere with phone calls as much as they make out in the film, especially if you keep the door shut.

There is some deliberate comedy, slapstick even, in the film - like the stuff with the phone box & Capt. Knight (Col. Barnstaple), an expert falconer, getting his lure tangled up in the bushes.

Steve

Liked
    1 times
    Great stuff Steve.

When you say that after watching AGE OF CONSENT you get a yearning to vist....do you mean North Queensland or Helen Mirren? wink

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    Another British movie video finally arrived from our local NY library: I Know Where I'm Going (1947, with Wendy Hiller and Roger Livesey). We enjoyed it for all the reasons we've come to expect of old British movies: superb acting, engaging plot and effective atmospheric photography and context. In addition, this time, I received an insight: We're learning a great deal about British culture and the subtle yet substantial differences between British and US American culture. The first indication of that was a superficail one of language. Early in the movie, Ms. Hiller kept using the phrase "I know where I'm going" in ways that did not quite make sense to us. Eventually, and rather quickly, it became clear that the idiom that would be used here is "I know what I want." With that settled, her character and motivation became clear and we could relax and enjoy the show.

The real treat of this movie for us was the sense it imparted of the fascinating unity through diversity of British culture. In their struggle to not love eachother, the English woman and Scottish man find that what they have in common as British transcends any "language" and sub-cultural differences. I imagine that this was an important message in post WWII Britain that served to maintain the country's strong internal bonding that was forged during the war.

We will soon order one of 4 movies from the list you kindly helped us generate: Lavender Hill Mob (1957), Belles of St. Trinian's (1954), The 39 Steps (1939) and Hope and Glory (the 1999 version, I'm afraid). Any suggestions as to the most appropriate order of viewing? Thank you all again. Tom

P.S. We are getting to know many british actors new to us. Wendy Hiller looks very familar to me. Did she once play a Queen of England?

Now I remember! Wendy Heller was Alice More is A Man For All Seasons -- not quite a queen, but most noble.

Liked
    418 times
    (Etruscello @ Sep 30 2005, 12:41 AM)

Another British movie video finally arrived from our local NY library: I Know Where I'm Going (1947, with Wendy Hiller and Roger Livesey). We enjoyed it for all the reasons we've come to expect of old British movies: superb acting, engaging plot and effective atmospheric photography and context. In addition, this time, I received an insight: We're learning a great deal about British culture and the subtle yet substantial differences between British and US American culture. The first indication of that was a superficail one of language. Early in the movie, Ms. Hiller kept using the phrase "I know where I'm going" in ways that did not quite make sense to us. Eventually, and rather quickly, it became clear that the idiom that would be used here is "I know what I want." With that settled, her character and motivation became clear and we could relax and enjoy the show.
    Yes, both phrases could, or should, have "in life" appended to fully explain them.

Steve

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    (Etruscello @ Sep 30 2005, 12:41 AM)

The real treat of this movie for us was the sense it imparted of the fascinating unity through diversity of British culture. In their struggle to not love eachother, the English woman and Scottish man find that what they have in common as British transcends any "language" and sub-cultural differences. I imagine that this was an important message in post WWII Britain that served to maintain the country's strong internal bonding that was forged during the war.
    Spot on. If you enjoyed that - and understood the themes that well - then may I recommend A Canterbury Tale(1944) by the same team, and with similar anti-materialistic/pro sense-of-roots themes. Gorgeous, and with a fine ensemble cast.

We will soon order one of 4 movies from the list you kindly helped us generate: Lavender Hill Mob (1957), Belles of St. Trinian's (1954), The 39 Steps (1939) and Hope and Glory (the 1999 version, I'm afraid). Any suggestions as to the most appropriate order of viewing? Thank you all again. Tom
    I would suggest in chronological order of setting; The 39 Steps is pre-war, Hope and Glory wartime, blitzed London; Lavender Hill Mob immediately post-war, austerity era London; St Trinians a little later, and country-set - although the last two could be interchangeable.

P.S. We are getting to know many british actors new to us. Wendy Hiller looks very familar to me. Did she once play a Queen of England?

Now I remember! Wendy Heller was Alice More is A Man For All Seasons -- not quite a queen, but most noble.
    Always...and we used to have so many great character actors. Roger Livesey only ever had a few leading roles, but was so charismatic. Have you seen his role-of-a-lifetime yet, in The Life and Death of Col. Blimp??

Stunning central performance in the greatest film ever made, IMHO....

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you! I will try chronological order, and look for Canterbury Tales 1944. My county's library does not have most of the titles that have been recommended. I'll explore using inter-library loan to search other county holdings. Tom

Liked
    418 times
    (Etruscello @ Oct 3 2005, 02:52 PM)

Thank you! I will try chronological order, and look for Canterbury Tales 1944. My county's library does not have most of the titles that have been recommended. I'll explore using inter-library loan to search other county holdings. Tom
    The Powell & Pressburger film is A Canterbury Tale (1944). If you look for anything with Canterbury Tales (plural) in the title you might find a totally different film.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    (Steve Crook @ Oct 3 2005, 04:48 PM)

The Powell & Pressburger film is A Canterbury Tale (1944). If you look for anything with Canterbury Tales (plural) in the title you might find a totally different film.

Steve
    And what a little gem A Canterbury Tale (1944) is. I woudn't be surprised if you found it a tad odd on first viewing but it is well worth watching again and again.

FELL

Liked
    418 times
    Hauling the thread back even closer on topic ...

Don't forget, I Know Where I'm Going! is on tonight on BBC4 at 10:15

Followed at 11:45 by the IKWIG Revisited documentary

Steve

Liked
    36 times
    (Steve Crook @ Oct 3 2005, 08:58 PM)

Steve
    Thanks - caught it just in time to record!

FELL

Liked
    0 times
    (Steve Crook @ Oct 3 2005, 09:58 PM)

Steve
    First time I'd seen this film and I'm glad I recorded it and left it on record for the documentary. I've sent the tape to a friend as a sort of chain video to pass on to other friends who have yet to see it! I can't even describe why I like the film, it just sort of captivated me. In the documentary they mention a possible remake, but who would be brave enough to mess with such a gem?

Liked
    418 times
    (Fran @ Oct 5 2005, 07:04 AM)

First time I'd seen this film and I'm glad I recorded it and left it on record for the documentary. I've sent the tape to a friend as a sort of chain video to pass on to other friends who have yet to see it! I can't even describe why I like the film, it just sort of captivated me. In the documentary they mention a possible remake, but who would be brave enough to mess with such a gem?
    People have seriously considered a remake. But, as Scorsese said in that documentary... "Why?"

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Caught I Know Where I'm Going for the first time also the other night on BBC4. Can't believe at the the ripe old age of 45 that it managed to slip through my net for so long. What a gem!

Liked
    418 times
    (Bobj @ Oct 6 2005, 05:03 PM)

Caught I Know Where I'm Going for the first time also the other night on BBC4. Can't believe at the the ripe old age of 45 that it managed to slip through my net for so long. What a gem!
    I'm almost jealous. To have seen IKWIG for the first time, that's a bit special [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

And to think that Emeric wrote it all in less than a week!

It's not as well known as P&P films like The Red Shoes or A Matter of Life and Death but IKWIG has a very devoted following. A group of us are going up to Mull at the end of October to celebrate its 60th anniversary. See Invitation

We'll have a look around all the castles and other locations they used in the film (including some that aren't usually open to the public).

We'll stay in the Western Isles Hotel, where Torquil & Joan stayed

We'll show the film and even have a special meal where we only eat foods (& drink) mentioned in the film. Silly, but fun.

And there are a few good surprises planned as well.

Sadly Coryvreckan (the whirlpool) isn't very active that weekend so I doubt we'll go out there.

But you can take boat trips out there. it is quite amazing to see.

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    3 times
    (Steve Crook @ Oct 7 2005, 01:55 AM)

I'm almost jealous. To have seen IKWIG for the first time, that's a bit special

And to think that Emeric wrote it all in less than a week!

It's not as well known as P&P films like The Red Shoes or A Matter of Life and Death but IKWIG has a very devoted following. A group of us are going up to Mull at the end of October to celebrate its 60th anniversary. See Invitation

Steve
    Steve did you spot Graham Moffat as an RAF sergeant with a moustache at the diamond wedding knees up in IKWIG? It's the first time I've seen him outside a Will Hay film!

Liked
    418 times
    (samkydd @ Oct 12 2005, 05:18 PM)

Steve did you spot Graham Moffat as an RAF sergeant with a moustache at the diamond wedding knees up in IKWIG? It's the first time I've seen him outside a Will Hay film!
    Yes indeed. He was also in A Canterbury Tale as "Sgt. Stuffy"

There's a bit of a mystery about that actually.

Graham Moffat & John Slater were both well known film actors in 1944.

They both played British Army sergeants in A Canterbury Tale yet they're right down at the end of the cast list and neither say anything in it.

Steve

Liked
    36 times
    (Steve Crook @ Oct 13 2005, 12:13 AM)

Yes indeed. He was also in A Canterbury Tale as "Sgt. Stuffy"

There's a bit of a mystery about that actually.

Graham Moffat & John Slater were both well known film actors in 1944.

They both played British Army sergeants in A Canterbury Tale yet they're right down at the end of the cast list and neither say anything in it.

Steve
    Didn't John Slater mumble a couple of words when he fixed the projector?

FELL

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast