Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    3 times
    (Fellwanderer @ Oct 13 2005, 08:21 AM)

Didn't John Slater mumble a couple of words when he fixed the projector?

FELL
    Yes he said "I always start my day with a bowl of Special K!"

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    (Fellwanderer @ Oct 13 2005, 07:21 AM)

Didn't John Slater mumble a couple of words when he fixed the projector?

FELL
    Nothing audible. He was probably upset about being interrupted in reading his book.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    i love this film .....roger livesy{a fellow welshman )is superb as is wendy hiller.....this film captures a fantastic storm .....filmed in brilliant black and white....colour would have spoilt this film........classic stuff what do you fellow brit movie fans think????????????????????

Liked
    418 times
    i love this film .....roger livesy{a fellow welshman )is superb as is wendy hiller.....this film captures a fantastic storm .....filmed in brilliant black and white....colour would have spoilt this film........classic stuff what do you fellow brit movie fans think????????????????????
    Well I might be a bit biased, liking (nearly) all things P&P as I do. But this is certainly one of their best. I like it so much that I even did the pilgrimage to Mull (with about 25 other people) to see where it was all filmed.

It's a film that many people love dearly, and it stands repeated viewing.

And I think that it's all the more impressive when you realise that Emeric Pressburger wrote the story for it in less than a week! Add to that the magical way that Roger Livesey & Petula Clark never went to Mull and I think it's a very cleverly made film.

You can study it in detail like that or you can just sit back and admire it as a beautiful, romantic, dramatic film.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I think what separates this from other P&P works is its charm. It is just so disarming. It is probably their most likeable film.

Liked
    0 times
    Love this film, which I found quite by chance many years ago. I always thought that Rog was an Irishman, but you are right Fred; I looked him up on INDb. Bloody awful way to die poor old lad.

Liked
    0 times
    Love this film, which I found quite by chance many years ago. I always thought that Rog was an Irishman, but you are right Fred; I looked him up on INDb. Bloody awful way to die poor old lad.
    how did he die jim??????????????iv no idea....nothing too violent??????????

Liked
    418 times
    It was even worse than just the disease (cancer of the bowel).

Roger & his wife, actress Ursula Jeans, didn't have any children and as they were approaching old age Roger developed the cancer.

To avoid the swingeing death duties (taxes) imposed at the time they transferred everything to Ursula's name so that she wouldn't have to pay too much when Roger died which they expected to happen fairly soon from what the doctors told them.

But Roger didn't die quickly. And then Ursula developed a cancer and died quite quickly - so Roger got hit with all the taxes and had to live for the last few years in relative poverty. He outlived Ursula by three years so what with the cancer attacking him and the extra expenses necessary to look after him in those years, it was quite tough.

A sad end for both of them.

But they were (according to everyone that knew them) such a lovely couple. As I said, they had no children of their own although they had a few nieces & nephews by Roger's brothers. They stayed happily married for 36 years until Ursula's death with not a hint of scandal and nobody having a bad word to say about them. So of course no publisher is interested in a biography!

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    There you are Fred, there's always someone who knows!!!

Liked
    0 times
    Marvellous film - not my favourite P&P, as A CANTERBURY TALE takes that honour, but can't be far off...

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Yes, I love the P & P films all so much I find it very difficult to name a favourite. There are at least half a dozen which are potential all-time favourites - it all depends on what mood I'm in when I'm watching! But I Know Where I'm Going! is certainly in that half-dozen, along with A Canterbury Tale, Colonel Blimp and Black Narcissus.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    This is spooky.

I was just about to ask in the other section if someone could name the film in which the Corryvreckan whirlpool features.

I've been to Mull a few times, diving, but not yet had chance to dive the fearsome whirlpool. I knew one of the first people to dive it, Keith Morris, better known for his photos of the famous.

I've not seen the film for a long time but now I can keep an eye out for it.

Peter

Liked
    418 times
    This is spooky.

I was just about to ask in the other section if someone could name the film in which the Corryvreckan whirlpool features.

I've been to Mull a few times, diving, but not yet had chance to dive the fearsome whirlpool. I knew one of the first people to dive it, Keith Morris, better known for his photos of the famous.

I've not seen the film for a long time but now I can keep an eye out for it.

Peter
    The whirlpool is quite fierce. But isn't really as fierce as they make it appear in the film. A lot of what you see in the film is footage of the real whirlpool, but there is also some clever model work done in the tank.

When you take a boat out there, the boat's crew will often rock the boat from side to side to make it appear more dramatic!

There's not a vast amount to see from sea level anyway. If you can, you probably get a better view of the whole thing from Scaba.

If you do dive on it, they say that you know something's happening when the bubbles start to do down instead of up!

Steve

Liked
    1 times
    The whirlpool is quite fierce. But isn't really as fierce as they make it appear in the film. A lot of what you see in the film is footage of the real whirlpool, but there is also some clever model work done in the tank.

When you take a boat out there, the boat's crew will often rock the boat from side to side to make it appear more dramatic!

There's not a vast amount to see from sea level anyway. If you can, you probably get a better view of the whole thing from Scaba.

If you do dive on it, they say that you know something's happening when the bubbles start to do down instead of up!

Steve
    Rocking the boat isn't likely to impress divers. I've sat in the middle of the English Channel for hours or surfaced to find 10 feet high waves.

I've done a couple of dives where the bubbles went down, it's not a fun experience.

I'll sneak in a plug for my diving club hugsac online | Main / Hertfordshire Underwater Gogglers :-) It's non-profit

so I hope that's ok.

I love P&P films. You first see one or two a few years apart and like them and then notice a pattern emerging. The number of times I've channel hopped and bumped into that classic opening credit. Time to put my feet up.

Liked
    418 times
    Rocking the boat isn't likely to impress divers.
    That's just for the tourists :

I've sat in the middle of the English Channel for hours or surfaced to find 10 feet high waves.

I've done a couple of dives where the bubbles went down, it's not a fun experience.

I'll sneak in a plug for my diving club hugsac online | Main / Hertfordshire Underwater Gogglers :-) It's non-profit

so I hope that's ok.

I love P&P films. You first see one or two a few years apart and like them and then notice a pattern emerging. The number of times I've channel hopped and bumped into that classic opening credit. Time to put my feet up.
    It sometimes takes a while to notice the pattern, they are usually so varied and different. But once you recognise that arrow thudding into the target (like in my avatar) then you know you're in for an interesting time

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    Rocking the boat isn't likely to impress divers. I've sat in the middle of the English Channel for hours or surfaced to find 10 feet high waves.

so I hope that's ok.

P.S. If you're ever diving around Mull, there are some nice wrecks off there. Like off Duart Castle (which appears in IKWIG as the Castle of Sorne). Cromwell sent some ships up to Mull to take Duart Castle which was a Royalist stronghold. But a storm blew up and The Swan was sunk in Duart Bay.

But it is a protected wreck and nobody can dive there without a special licence

Steve

Liked
    1 times
    P.S. If you're ever diving around Mull, there are some nice wrecks off there. Like off Duart Castle (which appears in IKWIG as the Castle of Sorne). Cromwell sent some ships up to Mull to take Duart Castle which was a Royalist stronghold. But a storm blew up and The Swan was sunk in Duart Bay.

But it is a protected wreck and nobody can dive there without a special licence

Steve
    I've dived in the Sound of Mull on 4 or 5 trips. You are right the "Swan" is a protected site but the Hispania, Thesis, Rondo and Breda are all great dives

with a history behind each sinking.

IIRC the Rondo steamed over a small island in thick fog and was perched on it

for a while before succumbing and sliding off into the deep. The bow is at

about 50m and the stern at about 6m. It makes an unusual dive.

The Sound is beautiful and I can see why they wanted to film there. I want

to see IKWIG again now.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vaggmk1938's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    I also love IKWIG and was intrigued by the Corryvreckan whirlpool. The following URL contains more than you probably want to know!

The Corryvreckan Whirlpool - Facts and Information | Corryvreckan DVD Sales

Please don't tell us that the scenes in the film were the result of bathwater going down the drain!

Gillian

Liked
    418 times
    [quote]I also love IKWIG and was intrigued by the Corryvreckan whirlpool. The following URL contains more than you probably want to know!

The Corryvreckan Whirlpool - Facts and Information | Corryvreckan DVD Sales

Please don't tell us that the scenes in the film were the result of bathwater going down the drain!

Spoiler:

It's a clever combination of shots in and around Corryvreckan and the whirlpool between Scarba & Lunga. That's to the north of Scarba. Corryvreckan itself being to the south, between Scarba & Jura. Those shots were cleverly merged with some shots in the tank with models with gelatin added so that it looked better when scaled up. Water being notoriously difficult to model, the splashes and the way the waves form are usually a dead giveaway.

Then the close-ups of Torquil, Joan & Kenny in the boat were shot in a boat set on gimbals in the studio with some hefty studio hands rocking it in all different directions at once - and some other studio hands throwing bucket-fulls of water over the very brave Wendy Hiller. Note the clever way that Torquil ducks one wave and Joan gets it full in the face. Well Torquil is a sailor and can read the water better so he know when the waves are coming

A travel book of the area produced after the war included photos of the "famous whirlpool of Corryvreckan". It claimed to show the only authentic picture of Corryvreckan at it's most powerful. Michael Powell never had the heart to tell the author that it was actually a shot from the tank at Denham Studio and that it had cost him £40,000 (£1.2m in today's money) to get those shots on the screen.

As well as the link you gave, you might like to also check out:

The Legend of the Corryvreckan

Ditto

Article in The Scotsman

Details of tours

Steve

Member Country: Croatia
    Liked
    0 times
    Great info, Steve. Thanx for that. Shots are marvelous on screen, as well as similar situation wonderfully executed for Dieterle's "Portrait of Jennie" (1948). Pre-Titanic era certainly had its way of capturing splashes and waves...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast