Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: United States MonicaMC's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Dando View Post
    And there's the bonus of another picture of Deborah in it as well!

The League of Gentlemen (1960) - IMDb
    Unless you're talking about a portrait of Deborah Kerr in The League of Gentlemen, she was not in that film. Trust me -- you're talking to a girl who used to spend her algebra class learning to write down all DK's 45 films by memory and in order. (I counted Countraband, even though the scene was cut, and this was before I knew about The Assam Garden. I took the info straight from the Eric Braun bio.)

Oddly enough, I managed to get an A-minus in that class...

(My Netflix queue is getting longer and longer... )
    Last edited by MonicaMC; 25-02-11 at 10:53 AM.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    If I remember[ correct me if I am wrong more knowledgable members] Michael Powell in his autobiography, hints at an affair with Deborah Kerr.
    So he must have had some nice feelings about her, if only lust.
    Powell did more than hint at it

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Dando View Post
    It's worth looking out for Roger in The League of Gentlemen, as he does a splendid seedy character. And there's the bonus of another picture of Deborah in it as well!

Nick
    I've never seen Roger give a bad performance. The trouble is that in most of his other film appearances he's very much a minor character. He only really got leading roles in good film in the films he did for Powell & Pressburger. He was the lead in a few not so good films, and he was a minor character in a few other good films.

A few others worth watching out for his performances are:
    Midshipman Easy (1935)
    The Drum (1938)
    Vice Versa (1948)
    The Master of Ballantrae (1953)
    The League of Gentlemen (1960)
    Futtocks End (1970)

Steve

Senior Member Country: England Elaine's Avatar
    Liked
    600 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Powell did more than hint at it

Steve
    I know Steve, but I was being polite. Wink..wink. After all a girl has to keep her reputation. Lol. Seems Miss Kerr wasn't so lilly white after all. Stewart Grainger had a piece of the action as well. Knowing nod...

Liked
    3 times
    Back to Roger Livesey's voice... it suddenly reminded me of someone else, and then like a flash I remembered: Jose Ferrer, particularly in the (was it?) 1950 version of Cyrano de Bergerac. Except -- again -- for that last scene. That had something extra to it, and I'm thinking also that Livesey, especially in this picture, had something of a boyish quality that's so disarming.

Liked
    418 times
    The perfect antidote to a wet Sunday afternoon at home. BBC2 have just shown it and as the little boat was fighting its way around Corryvreckan, the wind outside was making making the rain beat against the window - it added to the atmospheric nature

Steve

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Not my favourite P&P but I watched it as it was the first time I've had the opportunity to watch it on an HD television - certainly looked better than I remembered it.

Steve mentioned that they often recycled music and I'm sure they did in IKWIMG - when Torquil was in the hotel and on the phone to the colonel, I'm sure the opening bars came from ACT.

Naturally, I watched the lovely Jenny afterwards in TRC and the tears rolled.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Do any of the commercial DVDs of IKWIG have full (inc Gaelic) subtitles ?

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer View Post
    Not my favourite P&P but I watched it as it was the first time I've had the opportunity to watch it on an HD television - certainly looked better than I remembered it.

Steve mentioned that they often recycled music and I'm sure they did in IKWIMG - when Torquil was in the hotel and on the phone to the colonel, I'm sure the opening bars came from ACT.
    Yes, the ride in the farm cart in ACT and Torquil on the phone in the hotel in IKWIG both have the same music. It doesn't have any known name. It's just something that Allan Gray composed.

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by julian_craster View Post
    Do any of the commercial DVDs of IKWIG have full (inc Gaelic) subtitles ?
    No, none of them that I've seen so far - which is all the ones released so far. Whenever anyone speaks Gaelic the subtitles just say "[speaks Gaelic]".

Powell & Pressburger films often have quite long passages with people speaking foreign languages. But they never used subtitles. The meaning is always fairly clear from the context, the body language of the person speaking and the reaction of the people around them. P&P always assumed a reasonably intelligent audience who didn't need to have every little detail explained

Steve

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Yes, the ride in the farm cart in ACT and Torquil on the phone in the hotel in IKWIG both have the same music. It doesn't have any known name. It's just something that Allan Gray composed.

Steve
    Thanks - I thought it was the ride in the farm cart but couldn't remember for certain.

Liked
    3 times
    The perfect antidote to a wet Sunday afternoon at home. BBC2 have just shown it and as the little boat was fighting its way around Corryvreckan, the wind outside was making making the rain beat against the window - it added to the atmospheric nature
    How extraordinary - it's a wet Sunday afternoon here now as well. Given that my classes ARE through for the day... Maybe a double bill with my other fave (BE)... I'm halfway through composing a sonnet for tomorrow's Shakespeare's class that I based on that last scene with Fred & Laura. Yeah, that's justified, it will help inspire me.

Liked
    3 times
    So my mom gave me a $50 gift certificate to Borders books. This may fall under the heading of "idle question," but would it be worthwhile to spend $37 of it (plus lord knows what S&H -- this would be off the borders.com site) on the Criterion Edition of IKWIG? Seems to me a lot of money for one DVD, but it's technically free for me, and there's a bunch of stuff on that particular version.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Why not rent the Criterion DVD first - they buy it, if you think it is 'a keeper'.....?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I realise you've got a token so it's free from Borders but it's cheaper to buy it direct from Criterion. As Julian says, why not try the film first? The Criterion dvds are always worth it if you like the film though.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MonicaMC View Post
    So my mom gave me a $50 gift certificate to Borders books. This may fall under the heading of "idle question," but would it be worthwhile to spend $37 of it (plus lord knows what S&H -- this would be off the borders.com site) on the Criterion Edition of IKWIG? Seems to me a lot of money for one DVD, but it's technically free for me, and there's a bunch of stuff on that particular version.
    With the Criterion DVDs you get a shed-load of extras & the very best print available of the film. Of course it's up to you whether you think any DVD is worth that extra cost, I certainly do

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Monica,

You can get this Criterion edition of IKWIG through your library system, local library or interlibrary loan. Have a watch and then decide. I love the film, but for that kind of money, I like to preview the edition of the film if it's available.

Barbara

Liked
    3 times
    Random IKWIG question: in the first scene with Roger Livesey, he says to Joan (at about the 14 1/2 minute mark), "Pity you didn't keep Ian's car; that's why I was shouting." But the only shouting I hear is from a minute earlier in the film, and the voice sounds to me for all the world to be Ruairidh Mh�r's. Dialogue or editing gaffe, or did I not recognize Roger Livesey's voice?

Liked
    418 times
    Random IKWIG question: in the first scene with Roger Livesey, he says to Joan (at about the 14 1/2 minute mark), "Pity you didn't keep Ian's car; that's why I was shouting." But the only shouting I hear is from a minute earlier in the film, and the voice sounds to me for all the world to be Ruairidh Mh�r's. Dialogue or editing gaffe, or did I not recognize Roger Livesey's voice?
    To quote Osgood Fielding III from Some Like it Hot, "Nobody's perfect"

Steve

Liked
    3 times
    To quote Osgood Fielding III from Some Like it Hot, "Nobody's perfect"
    Not even the Archers??? The mind boggles!!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast