Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    To any devotee of Will Hay, Graham Moffitt & Moore Mariot, 'Where's The Fire' is a forgotten gem, that, as far as I am aware, has not been seen for a good many years. According to the info on this site, the BBC recovered the film in 1975. Before that time, it was regarded as lost. To my knowledge, it was last seen on the television 10+ years ago. I remember staying up to record it at 3am in the morning to ensure that I had it in its entirety.

Does anyone have information on if/when it will be available on DVD?

Liked
    151 times
    At the moment I gather neither ITV or the BBC hold the terrestial broadcast rights. There seems to be some confusion over who holds the film rights too, even Imdb have no information under company details despite it being a Gaumont production. (I would have expected Canal+ to hold the copyright)

It also inspired an ITV series called Fire Crackers.

Liked
    0 times
    I LOVE this film! I have a dupe done off the TV years ago.

Recently upgraded some other TV dupes with the recent box set in the HMV sale.

It's nice to see that the films are still clinging on as they are some of the best (if not THE best in some cases) comedy Britain ever made.

And they hold up as well now as they ever did, and you can't say that often about 30's 'music hall' based comedy.

Will Hay (esp with Moffatt and Mariot) is as important to British comedy cinema as the wonderful "Marx Bros." are to American comedy cinema.

Liked
    0 times
    42ndStreetFreak:

I LOVE this film! I have a dupe done off the TV years ago.

Recently upgraded some other TV dupes with the recent box set in the HMV sale.

It's nice to see that the films are still clinging on as they are some of the best (if not THE best in some cases) comedy Britain ever made.

And they hold up as well now as they ever did, and you can't say that often about 30's 'music hall' based comedy.

Will Hay (esp with Moffatt and Mariot) is as important to British comedy cinema as the wonderful "Marx Bros." are to American comedy cinema.
    Dead right there 42nd, I watched WTF last night. The trio of Moore Mariott; Moffat; Will Hay are excellent. I thought WH on his own was never as good as when he was with the other two; but that's only my opinion.

Didn't WH, as amateur astromoner, discover a distant planet?

thumbs_u

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    JIM:

[snip]

Didn't WH, as amateur astromoner, discover a distant planet?
    He didn't quite discover a planet. He was the first to find a white spot on Saturn. See newspaper report. He was also a qualified pilot and an engineer.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Hay published a book about astronomy "Through My Telescope" in 1935.

Member Country: UK Ealingfilmfan's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    Another great Will classic, one of his funniest, and I love the scene with Charles Hawtry as the meddling schoolboy, when they are struggling with the long pole.....

Wonder if the horses "Walloper" was ever patented???.........:-)

Liked
    0 times
    Mention of Hawtrey and Hay reminds me of the scene at the beginning of "Ghost of St Michael's" where the schoolboys are about to board the school bus. In the background and seen quite clearly is a sign for The Isle Of Skye ferry, but the word Skye has been clumsily painted over - anyone know what the logic behind this was?

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by clitheroekid
    Mention of Hawtrey and Hay reminds me of the scene at the beginning of "Ghost of St Michael's" where the schoolboys are about to board the school bus. In the background and seen quite clearly is a sign for The Isle Of Skye ferry, but the word Skye has been clumsily painted over - anyone know what the logic behind this was?
    Presumably to reflect the period, when road signs were removed to confuse and passing German paratroops ...?

(Don'[t tell them your name, Pike !)

Smudge

Senior Member Country: England noglea's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I heard from somewhere (possibly this site) that Val Guest recorded a commentary for 'Oh, Mr. Porter!' when he was visiting London in 2004. Hopefully it will be part of the DVD box set if it ever materializes.

Liked
    0 times
    Now that would be REALLY worth listening to!

Liked
    0 times
    Having read most of the posts regarding the above film, i belive it was not a gaumont film but was made by 20 th century fox. Hence the possibility from being excluded from our televsion screens. I wonder?

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by andy sea
    Having read most of the posts regarding the above film, i belive it was not a gaumont film but was made by 20 th century fox. Hence the possibility from being excluded from our televsion screens. I wonder?

i have a dvd of this somewhere but as it's about 3am here i don't think i can find it right now. if no-one has posted anything by tomorrow afternoon i'l see what i can find out.

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Yes indeed a 20th Century Fox film, this is the problem regarding a DVD release so I have read.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by andy sea

I remember seeing it on TV in the '70s when it first became available after it was lost - not the best of the Hay/Moffat/Marriot flicks but still very funny indeed and all concerned on top form. It was long thought lost as a result of being part of TCFs back catalogue and a british print turned up in the mid '70s on TV.

Liked
    0 times
    I beg to differ. The scene where they attempt to install the fireman's pole is one of the funniest ever shot. It is far better than the related use of a ladder to obstruct and damage traffic in JACK's the BOY or the use of the plank in the PLANK.

But it's all a matter of taste, which we know, cannot be disputed.......(like hell it can't).

Clara

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    If Val Guest really did do a commentary on the whole of OMP that would be absolutely brilliant, but all I know for sure is that he was interviewed on camera for a �making of� documentary that was intended for the 70th Anniversary re-release of OMP. That anniversary has unfortunately come and gone without such a release. I saw clips of the documentary as a work in progress at the screening of OMP at the Ritzy in Brixton in October 2007. Val Guest told some amusing stories about Will Hay including how the crew would hold a sweepstake on which aliment Hay would claim to have when he arrived on set each day (apparently he was quite a hypochondriac).

Liked
    0 times
    hi there am new here how many people agree that wheres that fire was one of will hays best films if not the best

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    It was an OK film.

Oh Mr Porter! probably ranks as his best film.

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Must say I thought it some way behind Oh Mr Porter! or the likes of Convict 99 or Ask a Policeman myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast