Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    Three Wise Men go to the wrong tent in the opening scene.
    "Not very wise if you ask me..walking around at this time of night...."

However.....in the Mother of Parliaments yesterday one of our best known comedians ( and others ) spoke about the right to make fun of religion....presumably anyones...

The star of the BBC's Blackadder television series lined up with leading barristers, writers and politicians to oppose the proposed law.

'There should be no subject about which you cannot make jokes'

Ministers say the Bill will protect faith groups - particularly Muslims.

Under the Serious Organised Crime and Police Bill, which will have its second reading in the Commons today, anyone judged to have stirred up religious hatred through threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour, would be liable to a maximum of seven years in prison.

But opponents of the measure say that while it is well intentioned, stopping the right to criticise other religions would end centuries of tolerance and could stoke tensions between religious groups rather than ease them.

Speaking at a press conference in the House of Commons, Atkinson said the proposals would destroy one of society's fundamental freedoms - the right to cause offence.

It would also threaten the livelihoods of all those whose job it is "to question, to analyse and to satirise". These included authors, academics, writers, actors, politicians and comedians.

There was a "fundamental difference" between cracking a joke about someone's religion and being offensive about their race which was, rightly, already an offence, he said.

"To criticise a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous but to criticise their religion - that is a right. That is a freedom," he said.

"The freedom to criticise ideas - any ideas even if they are sincerely held beliefs - is one of the fundamental freedoms of society.

"And the law which attempts to say you can criticise or ridicule ideas as long as they are not religious ideas is a very peculiar law indeed.

"It all points to the promotion of the idea that there should be a right not to be offended. But in my view the right to offend is far more important than any right not to be offended.

"The right to ridicule is far more important to society than any right not to be ridiculed because one in my view represents openness - and the other represents oppression."

He was joined by the newspaper columnist Joan Smith, officials from Christian groups, the Barnabas Fund, the Lawyer's Christian Fellowship and politicians from the three main parties.

Paul Cook, the advocate manager of the Barnabas Fund, said: "There is a real danger that this law could be used by extremists to silence organisations like ourselves from highlighting the persecution of Christians and other human rights abuses which occur within some religious communities."

The law will be opposed by the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives. Several Labour MPs including Alice Mahon, the member for Halifax, are expected to vote against.

Dominic Grieve, the shadow attorney general and a Church of England church warden, said people in the United Kingdom had "thrived on" the ability to "ridicule and caricature other people's views".

The Liberal Democrat MP Dr Evan Harris, who chaired the meeting, said: "There is a great deal of concern about these proposals across political parties.

"There are already enough laws to deal with incitement to violence and to deal with disorderly behaviour based on religious grounds."

Mr Atkinson said comedians should be able to make jokes about whatever they wanted. If they went over the top, people would not find their jokes funny. "There should be no subject about which you cannot make jokes."
    Threep

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    It's quite obvious that God has a sense of humour. I mean...take a look at our stupid old world.

Everyone wonders did Judas have God on his side.

It could be argued that LIFE OF BRIAN had God on it's side. God works in mysterious ways.

The British have a great sense of humour that basically laughs at ourselves.

It is also common knowledge that God is an Englishman.

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    MrDrakesDuck:

'They'?

How can you blame a whole people for the actions of individuals?

Did I say whole people?. Thought I was talking about a Religion.

Not the sort of comment for a movie forum I think.

What a director murdered over the content of his film not a welcome thread on a movie forum?.

Hardly a welcoming sight for Muslim readers or members.
    Tolerant and forgiving of criticism and lampooning?. That's a no then.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Tolerant and forgiving of criticism and lampooning?. That's a no then.
    Blanketing as 'they' and implying 'they' are extremists is not lampooning, it's bigoted nonsense.

Like Christianity there ar e different strands of the Muslim faith, with their own interpretations, lifestyles and levels of tolerance etc.

Liked
    0 times
    You read one word THEY and deduce BIGOTED?.

I didn't know you could get curly toe slippers for web feet.

Liked
    151 times
    Depresssing news on a similar subject:

God cut from Dark Materials film

The director and screenwriter of the film adaptation of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials is to remove references to God and the church in the movie.

The books tell of a battle against the church and a fight to overthrow God.

"They have expressed worry about the possibility of perceived anti-religiosity," Weitz told a His Dark Materials fans' website.

Pullman's trilogy has been attacked by some Christian teachers and by the Catholic press as blasphemy.

Weitz, who admitted he would not be many people's first choice to direct the films, said he regarded the film adaptation as "the most important work of my life".

"In part because it is one of the few books to have changed my life," he told bridgetothestars.net.

The award-winning trilogy - Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass - tell the story of Oxford girl Lyra Belacqua.

She is drawn into an epic struggle against the Church, which has been carrying out experiments on children in an attempt to remove original sin.

As the books progress the struggle turns into a battle to overthrow the Authority, a figure who is God-like in the books.

Weitz, who directed American Pie and About A Boy, said New Line feared that any anti-religiosity in the film would make the project "unviable financially".

He said: "All my best efforts will be directed towards keeping the film as liberating and iconoclastic an experience as I can.

"But there may be some modification of terms."

Weitz said he had visited Pullman, who had told him that the Authority could "represent any arbitrary establishment that curtails the freedom of the individual, whether it be religious, political, totalitarian, fundamentalist, communist, what have you".

He added: "I have no desire to change the nature or intentions of the villains of the piece, but they may appear in more subtle guises."

There are a number of Christian websites which attack the trilogy for their depiction of the church and of God, but Pullman has denied his books are anti-religious.

His agent told the Times newspaper that Pullman was happy with the adaptation so far.

"Of course New Line want to make money, but Mr Weitz is a wonderful director and Philip is very supportive.

"You have to recognise that it is a challenge in the climate of Bush's America,"

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh dear! Where is it all going?. I like to think that people can believe in what they want as long as it doesn't harm or hurt anybody, but these days(or any days!) that seems a trifle Utopian. I can't quite understand why there is so much reaction to the odd film that depicts a certain view, terms like anti-religious or blasphemous are bandied about publicly and all this seems to do is drawn attention to the subject matter and make it almost infamous! or, is it that the various religious authorities are lacking in confidence that their particlar belief will be undermined by any one single production? All sounds a bit paranoid to me....mmm... perhaps that's where the problem lies.......... Regards, Decks.

Liked
    151 times
    Why is it that the film would be "unviable financially" yet the book was recently in the top 5 of the BBC's Big Read ahead of other adapted books like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Harry Potter and even Dickens.

There's clearly a big market already in place for the film and I suspect the reason is not commercial viability but the backers being American rather than European. I'm somewhat surprised the author agreed as most are very hands-on with the treatment of their work.

Liked
    69 times
    It is a fascist attack on our way of thinking,what we say and on our way of life. The only thing that should be abolished is political correctness. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ta Ta

Marky B thumbs_u

Liked
    0 times
    We live We DIE! thats it!in my opinion, there is No god,it's only mans arrogance that like's to think there is something else as we are obviously.

above all other forms of life,anybody who thinks differently,must need some kind of "blanky" to get them through life's problems,tragedy's and inevitable demise,I'm really glad i am able to say that now because a couple of century's ago i'd have been burnt at the stake IF i'd had the balls to say it(i would'nt have ,i would have lied ),shall we go back to that then?

"britain has allway's been Known for it's sense of humour,and part of that, is taking the piss,if you can't take the piss what's the point?"

"These view's are in no way, the views of the brit movie forum".

cheers Ollie.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Hacker talking to Bernard about Sir Humphrey

"He's not God you know"

"Will you tell him or shall I"

:)

Freddy

Liked
    0 times
    Im brian, and so is my wife, a classic.

Liked
    3 times
    Originally posted by JIM KELSALL@Dec 6 2004, 11:07 AM

Sometimes the dialogue can be a bit 'university' - like Cleese, as the centurion catching 'Brian' daubing anti-Roman grafitti and then going into a Roman Grammar lecture - very funny, but over the heads of us state school plebs! Am I missing something here? doh
    Well I was a grammar school type and we had to do Latin, and the teacher was just like the centurion in Life of Brian and it caused much mirth at the time.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by DB7@Dec 7 2004, 04:52 PM

BRIAN: You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves. You're all individuals!

FOLLOWERS: Yes, we're all individuals!

BRIAN: You're all different!

FOLLOWERS: Yes, we are all different!

DENNIS: I'm not.
    wELL I'VE GOT SOMETHING TO SAY TO YOU PEOPLE! "Always look on the bight side of life" (whistle), (Whistle), (whistle) Eric Idle what a star!!!!!

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi There

No doubt readers will be aware that there is a new issue of "Life of Brian" which has just been released.

I noticed there are some commentary tracks on the DVD....do any readers know if this is the same Commentary track that was included on the US Criterion release from a few years ago ..?

Or is it all new material by way of "extras"

Thanks

Mike

Liked
    0 times
    This is going to be difficult to explain so please bear with me. Whilst watching Monty Python's Life of Brian I always notice something that constantly bugs me and I'm beginning to wander if it's just me. Whenever anyone hits anyone else e.g. as in the scene where John Cleese as the Roman soldier strikes Graham Chapman if you look carefully it looks like he actually hits him twice as if it has been edited and duplicated but in very quick succession. This happens in other parts of the movie and I don�t think it is just my copy as I see it on the T.V. as well. Can anyone suggest why this is happening?

Liked
    7 times
    This happens all the time in Python - I think its some kind of jump cut, a cheap way of editing together two different shots (the cut is just before the slap/hit). i think they started doing it for cheapness but then used it as some kind of stylistic touch.

Liked
    0 times
    I have not noticed this before but I have now got it on a Python box set which has all the films, whilst on the subject of Life Of Brian I heard on the radio this week that Sue Jones Davies who played Brians Mother is currnetly Mayor of Aberystwyth, the film was banned when it was first released bu the actress has now lifted the ban.

I

Liked
    0 times
    I think you must mean his girlfriend as his mother was played by Terry Jones. With regard to the editing I don't think two shots have been edited together as nobody else in the shot seems to move. Therefore I can only think that it was done deliberately. I just wander why?

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    I can't answer the original question, but couldn't resist writing that by sheer coincidence I was at an "Evening with John Cleese" last night, when he showed a clip of himself in that film, in the scene where he points out that Chapman has made numerous errors in his Latin grammar. Maybe it was that scene you had in mind?

He was in great form, attacking anything that came to mind, including The French, The Welsh, Michael Palin (he was booed for that!), his estranged wife's lawyer and the (absent) management of the Avon Gorge Hotel.

He said he is writing two films, currently, one with his daughter.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast