0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    See BBC site It should be there for at least a week

Steve
    Many thanks Steve.

Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    0 times
    gawd. bloody beeb. why can't this be an MP3 for us ex-pats?

Liked
    0 times
    As Richard Griffiths says..."Gloriously British".

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ggm
    gawd. bloody beeb. why can't this be an MP3 for us ex-pats?

Did you have trouble hearing it ggm? It worked OK for me here in sunny Adelaide. I'm no techno wiz so I can't explain why that should be.

Liked
    151 times
    I've uploaded a clip from Robinson in Private Road, interesting realy as two people leaving the capital to live in a rundown rural cottage, a local farmer helping out, and one 'hunting' with a shotgun has similarities with Withnail.

Liked
    0 times
    I recently watched the movie , for about the fiftieth time, and the cooking of the chicken creased me so much I trapped a nerve in my neck, what a wonderful film

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7
    I've uploaded a clip from Robinson in Private Road, interesting realy as two people leaving the capital to live in a rundown rural cottage, a local farmer helping out, and one 'hunting' with a shotgun has similarities with Withnail.
    ROBINSON IN WITHNAIL PLAGIARISM OUTRAGE!

Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    ROBINSON IN WITHNAIL PLAGIARISM OUTRAGE!
    The film was always semi-autobiographical about his times as a jobbing actor, but there's certainly similarities in the plot; just more grotesque characters in Withnail. (Robinson himself seems far more introverted)

Liked
    255 times
    The film was always semi-autobiographical about his times as a jobbing actor, but there's certainly similarities in the plot; just more grotesque characters in Withnail. (Robinson himself seems far more introverted)
    Robinson has said the film features 'composites' of people he knew in the 60s. I am not a fan of the film, there's something about it I just don't like, but there's no denying the influence it has had on many a budding 'artiste'.

Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    Robinson has said the film features 'composites' of people he knew in the 60s. I am not a fan of the film, there's something about it I just don't like, but there's no denying the influence it has had on many a budding 'artiste'.
    I must admit for a long time I didn't 'get it', but it's grown on me and I now I love it dearly - even if I've heard all the lines (scrubbers!) quoted ad-nauseum.

Liked
    255 times
    I must admit for a long time I didn't 'get it', but it's grown on me and I now I love it dearly - even if I've heard all the lines (scrubbers!) quoted ad-nauseum.
    I haven't seen it for years .... my bro's got a copy, perhaps it's time for another look.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    I think it helps if you have had some experience of that background..if you've ever been a starving drug addled student/unemployed actor/unemployed..then it's hilarious..

I spent most of my teens and early twenties in that position so I have a lot to draw on...

But, also..Bruce Robinson drew each of his characters so carefully and with such affection - that I think it could be classed as beautifully written.

But, of course - it is his sharp lines that get people going.. has anyone bored people silly with their favourite ones on here?

It's a shame Bruce is a bit handy with the drink because, otherwise I'd bloody marry him..he must be a hell of a laugh to be around and there is a real poignancy in the film that often gets forgotten..it seems to me it is about making a decision to leave that life and 'grow up' - but, from a distance and in some ways, chaotic as it may have seemed - it might be a hell of a lot more fun than the grown up stuff and it can be easy to hanker after it...

Anyway, I think, if you've lived through that - there comes a point where you make the decision or something lifts you out of it (as it does for 'I' at the end)..and thats it - you're suited and booted and you leave those people behind..they can't come with you because they'd just mess it up - but you might miss them still..

Oh shut up Modesty..

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestyblaise
    I think it helps if you have had some experience of that background..if you've ever been a starving drug addled student/unemployed actor/unemployed..then it's hilarious.
    Now I understand why I have never, ever, been able to sit through more than an hour of this movie. I just don't get it at all.

Liked
    0 times
    I saw it on the big screen on the 10th and 20th anniversaryies and on each occasion I was amazed how the audience, all devoted fans, left all the script quoting to the actors (and actresses - there are three spoken female roles in the film) and sat in revered silence all the way through. Oh, apart from one young chap who said as he entered the cinema, to the silent disrespect of the rest of us, "I DEMAND TO HAVE A SEAT"

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times

It's a shame Bruce is a bit handy with the drink because, otherwise I'd bloody marry him..he must be a hell of a laugh to be around and there is a real poignancy in the film that often gets forgotten..it seems to me it is about making a decision to leave that life and 'grow up' - but, from a distance and in some ways, chaotic as it may have seemed - it might be a hell of a lot more fun than the grown up stuff and it can be easy to hanker after it...

Anyway, I think, if you've lived through that - there comes a point where you make the decision or something lifts you out of it (as it does for 'I' at the end)..and thats it - you're suited and booted and you leave those people behind..they can't come with you because they'd just mess it up - but you might miss them still..

Oh shut up Modesty..
    Bruce has now given up the drink.

Like you MB I do think there is a poignancy about the film. My heart went out to Withnail . The last scene always gets to me. One friend moving on and the other unable to change. The Park, the rain, and Withnail with the wolves and the wine.

"I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth and indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame the earth seems to me a sterile promotory; this most excellent canopy the air, look you, this mighty o'rehanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire; why, it appeareth nothing to me but a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, how like an angel in aprehension, how like a God! The beauty of the world, paragon of animals; and yet to me, what is this quintessence of dusk. Man delights not me, no, nor women neither, nor women neither."

Regards

Freddy

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Thankyou for putting that up Freddy - I have never actually read it before.

Sorry, that was crass of me to write that about Bruce Robinson.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times

Sorry, that was crass of me to write that about Bruce Robinson.
    Not at all Modesty, I'm sure Bruce himself would agree with you that he was fond of the grape and the grain. He was once on the Ruby Wax show and his anecdotes and opinions were wonderful.

The Withnail and I script can be read on

Withnail and I Script at IMSDb.

Like you there are parts of myself I recognise in the film.

Regards

Freddy

Liked
    0 times
    Hello people of Britmovie.co.uk,

Hope you are all well.

I'm just writing to let you all know about an amazing piece about 'Withnail & I' that's just gone up on the website I write for, the Quietus.

Have a read and let me know what you think.

The Quietus | Features | Withnail & I Comes Of Age This Year - If Only The Fans Would Too

Hopefully the argument that the film's fans should come of age should start an interesting debate.

Thanks for reading.

Dean

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast