Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Withnail & I

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Pass on my respects to Luke Turner, of whom I've not heard. A brilliant piece.

But to be charitable for a moment, to the students and their drinking games; is it not the truth that films about ageing/self destruction/wasted youth/wasted talent become more poignant and meaningful as we ourselves grow older ?? The students will in turn find the truths in the film, I'm fairly sure, when they are 29 and eleven months...

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    I think you have brought up some excellent points, but that we are all in danger of taking it a little too seriously..

I love Withnail and I , would cite it as my favourite British film, saw it the moment it was released on to to video - way before the hype and loved it.

Annoying students are always going to be annoying students..but I don't think that anyone has lost sight of what a wonderful film it is. I only wish that it did not stand so alone that it can be celebrated with such..can I say 'hysteria'?

It is a good film, funny, poignant and heartfelt..lets just enjoy the fact that the 'cult' is constantly bringing it to a new audience.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    On Radio 4 the other week there was a programme to celebrate the 20th anniversary of W & I. Bruce Robinson explained that he had to personally finance the motorway driving scenes and the executive producers wanted the Uncle Monty character to be more like Kenneth Williams.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Personally finance the motorway scenes?

But they didn't really change anything - one of the features of those scenes is that the signs are all nineteen eighties!

I suppose they must have used a low loader for some of the scenes.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    What I have noticed is that the other cars driving along the motorway, when they are heading up to the Lake District, are the same ones we see when they are driving back down to London.

Senior Member Country: Albania
    Liked
    0 times
    "Personally finance the motorway scenes" = "personally pay for the Jimi Hendrix tracks that accompanied them", to the tune of some thirty grand if I remember rightly.

Ironically, it was because of this film that the Hendrix estate now insists on prior script approval and won't allow his music to feature on any films incorporating drug use.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks - everything about this film is perfect even though nothing particuarly "epic" actually happens. Ive seen it about 25 times and it never ceases to make me laugh!

Liked
    0 times
    That is indeed an excellent article! It summed exactly what I've always thought about the reputation of 'Withnail and I', namely that the drinking games and one-liners (superb as the latter are) can easily distract attention from the tragic characters and the double fin-de-siecle theme (the end of the 'stiff upper lip' old world *and* the end of the ultimately overhyped 'swinging sixties). I can't think of any other film that's simultaneously so funny and so sad.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Nobody swears quite like Richard E. Grant

Liked
    0 times
    No body drinks like him either, or demands cake and fine wine with such a wonderful sense of dirty elegance - priceless.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I still don't get it ..... I threatened with violence by a friend, to try and force me to sit through it at his house recently, I just couldn't do it. I found it as obnoxious as I ever did .... I ended playing Buckaroo with the kids!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    in britmovies favourite newspaper today theres some great never seen before behind the scenes photos of withnail and i

Live mag | Mail Online

Liked
    0 times
    A chef d'oeuvre ! I first saw it twenty years ago when it was released in France and I like to think it's a cult film even to the Gauls... I loved and recommend 'Withnail & Us', a documentary on the film, that is featured on the 20th Anniversary Edition DVD.

Liked
    0 times
    This is my favorite British movie of all time. I think it's beautifully written and acted to perfection by all. I have seen it SO many times you wouldn't believe. It's the movie i always put on when i have nothing else to watch. Everything about this film makes me smile,even that downbeat ending is perfect. :)

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    I am sorry but it is totally lost on me. I have just watched after years of resistance as friends and aquaintances kept telling me how good it was.

I just thought it was boring. The dialogue dull, no plot, no action just unpleasant and boring characters being unpleasant and boring.

I could have cheerfully poisoned Ralph Brown with one of his own onions. That annoying accent he assumed a cross between the The Two Rons and Harold Steptoe.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sloane

I just thought it was boring. The dialogue dull, no plot, no action just unpleasant and boring characters being unpleasant and boring.

Well said that man!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    i think its marvelous ,the scene in the penrith tea rooms " we want the finest wines available to humanity etc " is one of my favourite movie scenes

Liked
    0 times
    After the sustained barrage of films with "Hollywood Endings", it's good to see bleakness at the end of a movie like Withnail & I.

While it's not a big favourite of mine, I like that part. A film is often a story, & in life not *all* stories have happy endings.

I'm a grown-up now & I've moved on from Dinsey storylines. I can handle it - I won't sue!

I know the British aren't the only country to have no allergy to unhappy stories & endings, but I do think we're rather good at it...

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i watched this film after being told by several people how boring it was but i have to say i enjoyed it and have watched it several times since-horses for courses i suppose!

Liked
    0 times
    This film is quite unique. No real plot. No romantic angle (I don't count Uncle Monty !).

I love it but I can easily see how it might not appeal to many. And lots of yanks do "get it".

I loved the tea-room scene. They desperately want them to leave but when they called the police the proprietor says he'll keep them there till the police arrive.

Priceless ! And when I went to the lake district it rained like that for a whole week.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast