Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 76
  1. #41
    Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,872
    Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thatllbetheday
    Can't help you there. I've only ever seen the film on TV. Might have been considered unsuitable for general consumption.
    The DVD is far too expensive for me at �11+ so I'll wait until it's cheaper to see what was deleted. An original opening sequence to Sunset Boulevard was edited out as well (because of audience laughter apparently) and that's represented by stills on it's DVD too.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,872
    Liked
    177 times
    The risible scene featured William Holden and other 'corpses' talking about their deaths, including a boy. This is mentioned in the DVD documentary which shows extracts of the script as well as a few stills. It seems incredible that such an intelligent, witty film should have had such a ridiculous scene filmed in the first place ... but I still wish Billy Wilder kept it as an Extra!



    A scene I thought was lost forever is the alternative ending to Sweet Charity, available on the DVD, which is lovely to see, yet the very sad conclusion DOES work. Very emotional! Familiar American faces Bud Court and Judith Lowry are among the actors you can spot right at the end.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,020
    Liked
    98 times
    Actually, the two stills on the extras section of The Innocents DVD were from scenes originally intended for the beginning of the film, where Miss Giddens attends Miles' funeral. Then she went back to the house to write a letter to the uncle about Miles and then the film went into flashback and that's where the finished film starts. The reason the scene was removed from the beginning of the film was because Jack Clayton decided against having any flashback scenes in it and it's as simple as that.

  4. #44
    Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    83
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a single of this, but it's the Ivor Raymond Singers. Cant play the damend thing right now as my turntable needs renewing.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Country: Australia Corinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    335
    Liked
    12 times
    I'm thinking "yeah but what about Peter Wyngarde" & then Ollie mentioned it & Bats (must have a HUGE library) put that great photo of him on.



    This was one of his roles before Dept S & Jason King. There was another called "Night of the Eagle" which was also pretty scary & this time Petey was on the receiving end.



    OK Bats - give us a pic............

  6. #46
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,020
    Liked
    98 times
    "THE INNOCENTS" poem, recited by Martin Stephens.







    “What shall I say to my Lord from my window?

    What shall I sing, for my Lord will not stay?

    What shall I sing, for my Lord will not listen?

    Where shall I go, when my Lord is away?



    Whom shall I love, when the moon is a-risen?

    Gone is my Lord and the grave is his prison.

    What shall I say when my Lord comes a-calling?

    What shall I say, when he knocks on my door?

    What shall I say, when his feet enter softly?

    Leaving the marks of his grave on my floor.



    Enter, my Lord. Come from your prison.

    Come from your grave, for the moon is a-risen.”





  7. #47
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,020
    Liked
    98 times
    Scenes From THE INNOCENTS (X) (1961). In CinemaScope.

    Produced and Directed by Jack Clayton (20th Century-Fox).




    With Deborah Kerr; Megs Jenkins; Martin Stephens and Pamela Franklin.












  8. #48
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,020
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by patacake
    I have a single of this, but it's the Ivor Raymond Singers. Cant play the damend thing right now as my turntable needs renewing.
    I also have this single now. I ordered it from a seller in the UK through the GEMM website and it arrived this morning. It's on Decca 45-F.11441 and was released in March, 1962. It's an excellent version, just like the film (with the same singer), except the recording has light musical backing, whereas it was just a solo voice on the film soundtrack, without any backing.



    The details on the label say:



    O WILLOW WALY

    (Theme from "The Innocents")

    (Auric, Dehn)

    THE RAYMONDE SINGERS

    Featuring: ISLA CAMERON

    Producers: Attwood and Meehan

  9. #49
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,839
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan
    I also have this single now. I ordered it from a seller in the UK through the GEMM website and it arrived this morning. It's on Decca 45-F.11441 and was released in March, 1962. It's an excellent version, just like the film (with the same singer), except the recording has light musical backing, whereas it was just a solo voice on the film soundtrack, without any backing.



    The details on the label say:



    O WILLOW WALY

    (Theme from "The Innocents")

    (Auric, Dehn)

    THE RAYMONDE SINGERS

    Featuring: ISLA CAMERON

    Producers: Attwood and Meehan
    I have a prized and supremely scarce LP by Isla Cameron (Xtra 1041) which features this also, without any choral/musical backing.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,020
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scenesixty
    I have a prized and supremely scarce LP by Isla Cameron (Xtra 1041) which features this also, without any choral/musical backing.
    Yes, it sounds better without any backing. Far more haunting, I think...if "haunting" is the right word in the context of this film.

  11. #51
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,839
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan
    Yes, it sounds better without any backing. Far more haunting, I think...if "haunting" is the right word in the context of this film.




    It certainly is.

  12. #52
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,839
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan
    I also have this single now. I ordered it from a seller in the UK through the GEMM website and it arrived this morning. It's on Decca 45-F.11441 and was released in March, 1962. It's an excellent version, just like the film (with the same singer), except the recording has light musical backing, whereas it was just a solo voice on the film soundtrack, without any backing.



    The details on the label say:



    O WILLOW WALY

    (Theme from "The Innocents")

    (Auric, Dehn)

    THE RAYMONDE SINGERS

    Featuring: ISLA CAMERON

    Producers: Attwood and Meehan




    There is on Itunes/Amazon a 20 track recording called 'Through Bushes and Briars' where ALL the songs are sung beautifully by Isla Cameron. Many tracks have no musical backing at all, whilst other's just have the plaintive six string folk guitar. Some are very haunting-really a beautiful album only released in June this year! Do have a look I downloaded mine this afternoon-then onto audio CD disc. Best. B.

  13. #53
    Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,472
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie
    The INNOCENTS has been shown a lot recently on sky cinema so i grabbed it on dvd to take a look,and i wasn't disapointed very atmospheric and a bit of peter wyngaurd too!.
    I stayed up to watch it on Film4 last night. I must have seen it b4 because I remembered the spooky girl in the reeds, but had forgotten most of the rest.... Deborah Kerr was incredibly sensual in a repressed sort of way, especially in those opening shots of her face..... Assuming she was deliberately trying to evoke the thoughts that she evoked in my head - what a brilliant piece of expressional acting.... The rest of the movie was okay. There were clear references from it in the more recent movie I liked, 'The Others', and presumably Megs Jenkins' presence in the latter was no happy accident..... There was even a reference in the dialogue to *the others*, around the time they were stuck indoors because of the rain...... just as in The Others.



    I am really puzzled on a lighter note though how Peter Wyngarde got what was almost second-billing in the credits..??? .... I think his name even preceeded Megs Jenkins'!!! ........ Did all his scenes get edited out, but his agent insisted he got the billing he had been promised, just the same ??? ............. It must be the biggest credit for an Extra ever!!



    I kept waiting for his big scene in *flashback* and it never came...........

  14. #54
    Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    25,718
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moor Larkin
    I stayed up to watch it on Film4 last night. I must have seen it b4 because I remembered the spooky girl in the reeds, but had forgotten most of the rest.... Deborah Kerr was incredibly sensual in a repressed sort of way, especially in those opening shots of her face..... Assuming she was deliberately trying to evoke the thoughts that she evoked in my head - what a brilliant piece of expressional acting.... The rest of the movie was okay. There were clear references from it in the more recent movie I liked, 'The Others', and presumably Megs Jenkins' presence in the latter was no happy accident..... There was even a reference in the dialogue to *the others*, around the time they were stuck indoors because of the rain...... just as in The Others.


    Fionnula Flanagan perhaps? Megs died 3 years before The Others was made (assuming you mean the Nicole Kidman film)

  15. #55
    Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,472
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett
    Fionnula Flanagan perhaps? Megs died 3 years before The Others was made (assuming you mean the Nicole Kidman film)
    Must have been a ghost .............



    It was Jean Simmons wasn't it.......... What a dork I am........



    Jean Simmons - Megs Jenkins ........... Easy to get confused......

    This is what happens when I don't get enough sleep from staying up to watch old movies into the early hours....








  16. #56
    Member Country: Wales Rutherford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    25
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh The Turn of the Screw - first novel I ever read in which you can't really believe what the narrator is saying: are the children in contact with spirits...or...is the governess kind-of demented?

  17. #57
    Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,359
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford
    Oh The Turn of the Screw - first novel I ever read in which you can't really believe what the narrator is saying: are the children in contact with spirits...or...is the governess kind-of demented?
    Certainly in The Innocents my opinion is that the governess is repressed, sexually and socially and that she was turned on by the story of Miss Jessel and - oh dear I've forgotten the character's name played by- Peter Wyngarde.
      Spoiler:
    I believe this is borne out by the tragic ending, when little Miles is so frightened by Miss Giddons hysteria and his final words are something like "but I can't see anything!". I found this so moving and sad - the poor boy may have had his problems, but just look at the upbringing!

  18. #58
    Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,472
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windyridge
    Certainly in The Innocents my opinion is that the governess is repressed, sexually and socially
    That's the message I got from watching Deborah's face in the opening credits sequence....



    Bubbling with repression.....




  19. #59
    Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    83
    Liked
    0 times
    I think Peter Wyngarde had better billing simply because he was bigger box office in those days. I remember being disappointed with such brief flashes of Quint when I first saw the film at the cinema. But less can be more of course.

  20. #60
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    Liked
    0 times
    Bringing up an older thread

    I watched this film a couple of weeks ago, its superb..... The atmospheric tension and menace it so good.

    I was interested to see that the american writer Truman Capote was involved in the screenplay. Looking at the film and also having read Capotes books there is a strong stylised link to capotes early writing like "other voices other rooms" and the stories of " A tree of night" these writings also have a very dark, psychological menace, fatalistic dark gothic feel.

    I was so interested that I went and hunted out a copy of the film (recently made) "other voices" hoping it would have the same dark feel. What a disapointment, just a wash over and shallow.

    If only Jack Clayton (director of Innocents) had got hold of the "Other voices "and colaborated with capote at the time there would have been another great classic all be it American orientated. It probably wouldnt have happend though as liberality at the time especially with its gay undertones would have dive bombed here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. His & Hers - 1961
    By Davoo in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (Film)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-07-15, 06:04 PM
  2. The Innocents on Film 4.
    By cassidy in forum Films on TV
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-09-11, 05:40 PM
  3. The Innocents *solved*
    By equinoxdreams in forum Can You Name This Film
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-07-09, 06:16 PM
  4. The Innocents (1961)
    By DB7 in forum Latest DVD Releases
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-08-07, 10:05 PM
  5. Innocents In Paris
    By Quiller in forum Your Favourite British Films
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-07-06, 09:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts