Thread: Leslie Banks

Liked
    0 times
    One of my favourite actors from yesteryear is Leslie Banks. Thank goodness he graced the silver screen with some very fine performances interspersed between an illustrious stage career.

The films I have of him include: Fire Over England, Henry V, Jamaica Inn, and my two most recent acquisitions - The Man Who Knew Too Much ('34) and The Most Dangerous Game('32). The latter of which is my most current favourite!

I would greatly appreciate any information anyone might have regarding his life and acting career. I read that he was a talented artist as well, and enjoyed collecting fine art as a hobby. What a shame that the world lost such a gifted actor at a young 62 years of age. I'm sure he would have had many more wonderful performances to give us had his death not been so untimely.

Regards,

Wini

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you Gibbie for your reply....

Yes, I have previously read each of the articles that you sited above, but was rather hoping to hear from someone who had more personal anecdotes or recollections of Leslie Banks to share.

Ah well, ta very much!

Wini

**If anyone else has something to add, I'd love to hear from you...

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Gladly, Wini!

Gibbie

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all! Yes, I'd like to know more about the fabulous Leslie Banks too. I've only just found out that he was injured in the First World War; resulting in paralysis of the right side of his face. It occurs to me that he may have resorted to an eye patch in private. Does anyone know if this was the case? He wears one for 'The Small Back Room'. Possibly a conceit connected to the character (affinity with David Farrer's character?), but was it inspired by real life?

Also, does anyone have any idea who he served with and where?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthd7274 View Post
    Hi all! Yes, I'd like to know more about the fabulous Leslie Banks too. I've only just found out that he was injured in the First World War; resulting in paralysis of the right side of his face. It occurs to me that he may have resorted to an eye patch in private. Does anyone know if this was the case? He wears one for 'The Small Back Room'. Possibly a conceit connected to the character (affinity with David Farrer's character?), but was it inspired by real life?

Also, does anyone have any idea who he served with and where?
    It wasn't paralysis, he was just badly scarred. When he played a villain he mainly showed the scarred side of his face. When he played a goodie he showed the un-scarred side

I don't think he normally wore an eye-patch. I'll check in the book of The Small Back Room to see if that mentions Col. Holland wearing an eye-patch

He served with the Essex Regiment at the Battle of the Somme, 1 July 1916

Steve

See also http://disabledlives.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/leslie-banks-1890-1952.html

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    It wasn't paralysis, he was just badly scarred. When he played a villain he mainly showed the scarred side of his face. When he played a goodie he showed the un-scarred side

I don't think he normally wore an eye-patch. I'll check in the book of The Small Back Room to see if that mentions Col. Holland wearing an eye-patch

Steve

See also http://disabledlives.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/leslie-banks-1890-1952.html

The Somme! Crikey!

Many, many thanks for that info. I'll check the link...

I wondered about the patch because in a couple of close-ups (Door with Seven Locks) it appears as if he was unable to fully close his left eye.

I'd love to know more about him, but I don't suppose there's anyone around now who'll remember him.... except George Cole, perhaps, and I'm not about to go harassing him!

Cheers.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post

Steve

I've just seen Mr. Shakespeare's blog. Tried to leave a comment, but can't seem to do it. A lovely biography. Really moving.

I've also noticed my mistake in my original post; it was the LEFT side of Mr. Banks' face that received the injury. I must have been half asleep!

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Have another look at the blog. Your comment is there.

Nick

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the 'heads up'. Glad it got there!