Liked
    1 times
    Several threads on this site have mentioned 'Rogue Male' in both its 1941 and 1976 remake versions. 'Rogue Male' was one of several books and screenplays by Geoffery Household. For my money, Mr. Household was, and remains, the best in his class - a writer of thoughtful, suspense-filled thrillers much superior to the 500-page epics offered today.

One of his books - 'Watcher in the Shadows' - is judged by many to be the great-granddaddy of all the chase novels. Household's writing in this book reveals his affection for the English countryside in the early '50s, and portrays a protagonist with as fine a sense of moral conduct as any I have ever read.

'Watcher' was adapted into an American TV movie in 1972 called 'Deadly Harvest.' Geoffery Household died in 1999, after having written many novels, all of which, unfortunately, are out of print in the US. Used copies of 'Watcher' are available at abebooks.com. If you enjoy great suspense fiction, order a copy.

Liked
    0 times
    Very interesting. Do you know wither 'Rouge Male' was a novel as well as a film. My understanding is that it was. I'd love to see the 1976 version, was it made for TV? Do you know anything else about the film which I understand stared Clive Donner? In a similer vain I have heard that there is a film called 'The Most Dangerous Game' based on a famous novel. Would you have any information on this?. I realise that this is not a literary site.

C

Liked
    1 times
    'Rogue Male' (the name taken from the African reference to an ill-tempered solitary elephant) was published about 1939 as a novel. The 1976 version was a made-for-TV UK movie starring Peter O'Toole, directed by Clive Donner.

'The Most Dangerous Game' is based upon a short story written by Richard Connell in the 1920s about a man hunted on a private island by a big game hunter who is bored going up against animals. It's been filmed several times starting in the early '30s.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for this. Very informitive. I'll have to try and get my hands on the book.

C

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Carterh - just to point out that Rouge Male is probably a different kind of book entirely eek!

rgds

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    lol

C

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Brian - sounds very interesting, you've sold Watcher in the Shadows to me, so I've taken you at your word and ordered a copy from abebooks. Available very cheaply.

I'll let you know how I get on

rgds

Rob

Liked
    1 times
    Rob, you're in for a great read.

Liked
    0 times
    Household wrote a sequel to Rogue Male in 1982 called Rogue Justice, which picks up where our hero left off - I don't think it's ever been filmed. The O'Toole version of Rogue is available on DVD in the US, I think I've seen it at ebay for one cent. I find it much more satisfactory than the Hollywood version, and Harold Pinter has a small part. Watcher In The Shadows (1960) is a good read but has a very dark background.