Liked
    0 times
    Hi All

I have just come across the "Big screen Britain" programme on bbc2 (G

In which Ben Fogle goes to locations used in British movies and discusses how they were made

I dont know how many programmes I have missed already as it seems to be on at aroundmidday every day. Today they went to fishgaurd for "Under milkwood" and to Barra(sp?) for "Whiskey galore".

Yesterday it was "the Dambusters" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"

The programmes are very bitty and give the impression of being written in a bit of a rush

some obvious ommisions and mistakes. but they do contain some interesting information ,and mr Fogles presenting style is disarming.

I was interested to learn How the Real Chitty got its name :-from a bawdy WW1 song sung by troops on their way to a certain sort of entertainment in Paris.

But they seemed to suggest that the Film car Chitty contained Physical componants of one of the real Chitty Chitty Bang Bang cars Raced by count Louis ZBorowski firstin 1921 (not1922)

This consisted of a Mercedes Chassis fitted with a 23,000cc (23litre)engine from a ww1 German Gotha bomber.

I thought that the film Chitty was built mainly from Ford (Transit van?) parts by a chap called Alan (Ford?) please can any one fill in the blanks?

GM

Liked
    0 times
    In the programme it was never mentioned where the King's castle was located does anyone know ?

Thanks

Liked
    0 times
    just areminder

this series is on bbc2 at around midday again this week

GM

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I caught the end of one of these the other week, for 'Brief Encounter'

Fascinating stuff.

I would love to see one on the Ipcress File or Robbery-not that they would ever cover anything so minority interest.

Liked
    0 times
    There were two of these badly made shorts on BBC2 today, before the Thursday matinee (Five Weeks in a Balloon) and they covered The 1970 version of The Railway Children and the 1954 The Dam Busters. Unfortunately, all the film extracts in them were stretched out horizonitally to make all the actors look really fat and it made the programmes look awful.

I strongly suspect that the people who are responsible for putting these programmes together haven't an ounce of talent or technical expertise between them and have probably bluffed their way through to get where they are...and it shows only too well.