Liked
    151 times
    The Crying Game has been voted the movie with the best twist of all time in a poll of 5,000 film fans.

The 1992 film starred Stephen Rea as an IRA volunteer head over heels in love with a dusky beauty called Dil - who turns out to be a man.

Director David Fincher ran away with the title King of the Twists in the survey by Woolworths, with three of his movies in the Top 10. These include Seven and Fight Club starring Brad Pitt and The Game which features Michael Douglas.

Second in the poll was The Usual Suspects, in which Kevin Spacey's crippled con-man character is revealed as the bad guy just as he escapes justice.

Third in the top movie twists is Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho and completing the top five was the thriller The Sixth Sense.

Other twists to make the top ten included the Star Wars revelation in The Empire Strikes Back that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father, The Others, starring Nicole Kidman, and Memento, with Guy Pearce.

Nine Queens, Donnie Darco, Jacob's Ladder, American Beauty, Identity, The Shawshank Redemption, Shrek, Unbreakable, The Deer Hunter and Arlington Road complete the top 20 movie twists list.

Liked
    0 times
    Surprised that "No Way Out" didn't feature

Liked
    151 times
    The Stranger Left No Card is very memorable. Starts out very childlike before a very sinister twist.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I watched the Crying Game last night, first time since 1992. Now, although I remembered the twist the rest of the film was vague in my memory. Having watched it again, I must praise this as an excellent little film. I thought the acting was top notch, although Forest Whitakers attempt at Cockney was a bit off. My point however, is, that having a twist can detract from a film for repeat sittings. OK I know that sounds like I am stating the obvious,but, As I started to watch it all I remembered was the twist and nothing else of the plot. I was pleasantly surprised at this film and the twist was only a part of the plot, not the whole. All in all a good film.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Grip of the Strangler, in which Boris Karloff goes searching for a killer who turns out to be ....

Bats.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    name='stevie boy']I watched the Crying Game last night, first time since 1992. Now, although I remembered the twist the rest of the film was vague in my memory. Having watched it again, I must praise this as an excellent little film. I thought the acting was top notch, although Forest Whitakers attempt at Cockney was a bit off. My point however, is, that having a twist can detract from a film for repeat sittings. OK I know that sounds like I am stating the obvious,but, As I started to watch it all I remembered was the twist and nothing else of the plot. I was pleasantly surprised at this film and the twist was only a part of the plot, not the whole. All in all a good film.

I think Forrest Whitaker's performance in the "Crying Game" is superb and although I didn't really believe his accent I did believe his emotions which to me is much more important in a film performance. I don't think it matters that much if an actors accent is not entirely accurate providing the performance is good, I reckon there are more instances of poor performances with a poor attempt at an accent which does tend to compound things a bit and its easy to blame the poor accent for a poor performance, I personnaly think Forrest Whitaker's portrayal is good despite the dodgy accent! I enjoyed the film but it was no real surprise to me that the girl turned out to be a bloke, I kept thinking "that looks like a guy in drag!", I felt very wise and clever when the truth was revealed... not that I have much experience of men dressed as women you understand....

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    name='christoph404']I think Forrest Whitaker's performance in the "Crying Game" is superb and although I didn't really believe his accent I did believe his emotions which to me is much more important in a film performance. I don't think it matters that much if an actors accent is not entirely accurate providing the performance is good, I reckon there are more instances of poor performances with a poor attempt at an accent which does tend to compound things a bit and its easy to blame the poor accent for a poor performance, I personnaly think Forrest Whitaker's portrayal is good despite the dodgy accent! I enjoyed the film but it was no real surprise to me that the girl turned out to be a bloke, I kept thinking "that looks like a guy in drag!", I felt very wise and clever when the truth was revealed... not that I have much experience of men dressed as women you understand....

I go along with that, regarding men dressed as women, I was in Copenhagen once !!!!!! better not, a story for another time. But I did think this was a very good film.

Liked
    0 times
    Shouldn't we have had a Spoiler Alert at the beginning of this thread?

I hadn't seen The Crying Game (it was on my list of ones to watch), now I know the ending, it makes it a bit pointless

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    name='DB7'] Nine Queens, Donnie Darco, Jacob's Ladder, American Beauty, Identity, The Shawshank Redemption, Shrek, Unbreakable, The Deer Hunter and Arlington Road complete the top 20 movie twists list.

Was there a twist in The Deer Hunter? Mind you it was so long I could have left before the end...

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    I kept thinking "that looks like a guy in drag!",

Indeed, even when looking at the publicity photos before the film was released, I guessed what the so-called twist was going to be. Was anyone really fooled, or is it just a case of "Ooh, that's daring !"

I may be wrong, but I don't think this film took much money in the UK. However, it was a gigantic hit in the US. Why ? Was it a conjunction of two American groups?

1. the gay audience

2. IRA sympathisers

I'm puzzled.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    I didn't think it was obvious. I honestly didn't suspect a thing until it was revealed.

Liked
    255 times
    name='Dave Rattigan']I didn't think it was obvious. I honestly didn't suspect a thing until it was revealed.

Me neither .... I kept thinking 'God, she's like Cathy Tyson' and found the character very sexy. It did come as a shock to me when the 'secret' was revealed. Once I'd got over that, I could fully understand why 'Jody' wanted to carry on the relationship, because the character of 'Dil' was IMHO very appealing.

Bats.

Cathy Tyson

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']Me neither .... I kept thinking 'God, she's like Cathy Tyson' and found the character very sexy. It did come as a shock to me when the 'secret' was revealed. Once I'd got over that, I could fully understand why 'Jody' wanted to carry on the relationship, because the character of 'Dil' was IMHO very appealing.

Bats.

Cathy Tyson

Its all a bit odd ,I twigged at once ,of course ladyboys are all the rage in Barnsley now.The Others was a good twist....a bit more subtle....

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='Dave Rattigan']I didn't think it was obvious. I honestly didn't suspect a thing until it was revealed.

Neither did I !.........once the Camera panned down and all was 'revealed' I almost choked on my Malteser!!

Liked
    255 times
    name='Mark O']Neither did I !.........once the Camera panned down and all was 'revealed' I almost choked on my Malteser!!

Good job it wasn't a Westler's special!

Bats.