Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frenzy

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    I check the movie internet data base and viewed the cast members of the film,no where could i find this information. Very interesting question,i will use some other search engins and try to find out who they were.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    I think El Tel could be right about the girls. It would have been a stunt girl for the river scene and it could have been a well paid extra for the other scene..

Funny story.....

FRENZY�Director�Alfred Hitchcock�

I am now working with the Master of filming.

Where I was born in Islington London, there was a huge warehouse type building on the corner of the Grand Union Canal in New North Road. (Very near the North Pole Pub)

It was in fact a film studio. As a kid in the forties I used to swim in the canal as it cost nothing entrance fee. (You had to watch out for the large Mocking birds floating on top of the water)

I think the studio was called Gainsborough and as a kid I remember strangely dressed people popping into the pub on the corner of New North Road and Elizabeth Avenue. (Supporting Artists of the past)

Anyway, that�s where Alfred Hitchcock made many of his films.

(I could have bumped into him while I was going swimming and he was popping in for a swift half. It�s a small world)

ONTO THE FILM�

I was now the not so proud owner of an old Bedford van and was booked by the 2nd A.D. on Frenzy to report to Covent Garden fruit market for the start of a weeks work...

There must have been fifty supporting artists working that week as market porters.

It was thirty years ago but some people still come to mind, like Big Mo Dunster who was stand/in on films for Donald Sutherland. Jimmy (the crow) Hammilton, Eddie Dillon And Bill (the body) Hemmings.

I remember the day that Donald Sutherland came down to speak to Mo about a private matter and got into one of the shots.(Everyone wants to be in a Hitchcock movie)

Mo has done well for himself and now lives in the U.S.A. looking after the Sutherland clan. Best wishes Mo, love Boysie.

Mr. Hitchcock was not very well while he was directing this film and would line up all the shots he wanted and leave the running around to his 1st A.D. (Colin Brewer, I think)

We filmed all around the market for the next week or so loading vans and unloading vans (Including my old Bedford) but I was more interested in watching the Master at work. Then near the end of the shoot in the market it happened.

The Master looked at me then at the 1st A.D. and said�

��Tell that man to climb up on that lorry and start unloading it��

(��That man��) he said my name, I was being directed by the great man himself.

We shot a lot of the inside of the film at Pinewood. Then some stuff with the Bedford Following a potato lorry up and down major roads and that was it.

I was sorry to see the end of the filming but it�s one film I will never forget.

If you�re looking down from that great studio in the sky Mr. Hitchcock ��That Man�� will say hello when he gets there.

Aitch,

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Absolutely fascinating. Thanks Aitch for sharing it with us.

Super Moderator Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

The Body in Question.

We don't get a look at the face of the lass in the Thames.

There are two policemen who look aggravatingly familiar as well...

Frenzy

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I just love these tidbits from Aitch.

It would be great to put names to these 'bodies' by the way if, for no other reason, than maybe to get them to share their view of events, like I enjoy getting from Aitch.

Super Moderator Country: United States wearysloth's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

That you, Aitch?

Liked
    0 times
    Aitch, lovely story mate. Keep em coming. Love em.

Liked
    51 times
    That you, Aitch?
    I was just looking at my dark wavy hair (it waved goodby to my napper a few years back)

Free today in the Sunday mail is DVD Murphys War. Now I've never seen it but remember doing it back in 1970. If anyone can get a screen grab I was so young I still had my milk teeth

MURPHY’S WAR… Peter O’Toole…Director Peter Yates…

Central Casting sent Jerry Floyd, Nick (the bubble) and myself down to Portsmouth or Southampton (cant remember which) to play German U Boat crew. We’d be there for a couple of days and stay in a local B/B over night.

When we get called onto the set we go below decks on a British submarine that is decked out like a second world war German U Boat.

Now it seems in the film the U Boat has run aground on a sand bank on an inlet river in South America and is waiting for the tide to turn so it can refloat.

Meanwhile Peter O’Toole is trying to chop a very large tree down and put it across our Sub. (Thus, causing us some discomfort.)

(Got the plot so far, he’s dropping trees, and I’m in the basement..)

A cute make up girl asks me to strip to the waist (and I think, from the shoes up, what no flowers? We’ve only just met) but she has to put make up on my face and body to make me look tanned as if I was in South America.

Bert Batt the 1st A.D. took us all to see the Director Peter Yates (of Bullitt fame) and I was chosen to be the blue eyed German working the controls of the Sub..

After a few different angles the make up girl applies sweat to my hair and face.

The camera is stuck an inch from my nose. (Now we are talking about close ups here. My face plastered sixty foot by eighty foot at the Odeon Marble Arch.

She could have saved on the sweat, I was sweating for England.)

Peter was guiding me through the shots. ‘’Imagine you can hear a noise above you.

Now imagine there’s a noise to your left, now to your right. Don’t move your head

Back too far, we’re close on your eyes.’’ Then it was ‘’CUT, see you in the morning

Eight O clock.. Thanks Harry that was good’’.

Well that was good for me too. It took me hours to come down.

Me, Jerry and Nick went out on the town and got very pissed. (Well it makes a change)?

The next day I’m back at the controls of the Sub and I’m thinking is it to be another starring role. Peter tells us today’s the day the Sub gets hit and there could be a drop of water splashing around.

First scene control room…I’m standing at the controls and Peter talks me through it.

‘’Now concentrate on the controls Harry and keep looking about. It seems the tide is coming in and you’re going to be all right. Now give a huge sigh of relief. It’s very quiet now but suddenly, !!!!! CRASH !!!!.

That’s the cue for the Prop men to sling big buckets of freezing cold water over me.

‘’You’re panicking now Harry (He’s got good eyesight) More water on him and CUT.

I spent most of the rest of the day sitting on the Sub deck enjoying the warm sun while the Stuntmen got their share of the water.

We shot some other stuff in one of the cabins drinking beers then it was time to head off back to London. Thanks Mr. Yates.

(You must remember in the film game that all the shots don’t make it to the big screen, a lot end up on the cutting room floor)

Aitch,

Liked
    51 times
    I just watched Murphys War and I thought it was quite a good film with O'Tool as a very young Irishman.

I did a lot of cutting room floor acting.....

Aitch,

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    So well-written... honestly, each tale tops the last, and they're all great. Sweating for England, even without the flowers...

Liked
    0 times
    Frenzy was a fantastic film - the Hitchcock seemed to return in this movie. It reminds me of the cheap exploitation look of Psycho. The dark humor, the acting, and the sex/death/food connection - all brilliant.

Liked
    0 times
    Oops I forgot to ask. I think on my dvd they mentioned that a different composer was to work on Frenzy and actually composed a score - I think I remember hearing a bit of it. Wasn't it Mancini? I think I actually prefered the manace of that unused version.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I thought the scenes with Alec McGowen and Vivien Merchant were priceless - they really added the right amount of black humour to the whole film
    marvelous film and very gripping. The scene in the potato truck was pure hitchcock and as for McGowen & Merchant, superb.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Agreed,he is a national treasure and he should be recognised for his contribution to British films,television and radio.

Ta Ta

Marky B
    Sadly he isn't really high profile enough now and the biggest thing he has done recently bombed - Blackball. He needs to be 'rediscovered' before its too late.

There is a website in construction - bernardcribbins.com

Liked
    51 times
    Bygraves turned down Jon Finch's role.
    He wasn't gonna sing ''You need hands,,,was he ??

Aitch,

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Sadly he isn't really high profile enough now and the biggest thing he has done recently bombed - Blackball. He needs to be 'rediscovered' before its too late.
    He's in the Doctor Who Christmas special this year.

Liked
    0 times
    Hitch came back to his roots with Frenzy after the razzmatazz of the USA .The film speaks for itself and is one of the all time greats...

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Hitch came back to his roots with Frenzy after the razzmatazz of the USA .The film speaks for itself and is one of the all time greats...
    In truth he came back out of desperation after the collective flops of Marnie, Torn Curtain and Topaz. Universal had given up on him and he had to part finance it himself. It is never the less and interesting return to the more darkly comic, brisker-paced films of the '30s. The film is anacronistic though with the significance of the lead character being in tweeds in London - wouldn't have mattered by '70s. There are some great set pieces in it though.

Liked
    0 times
    Then he went back again to the mess that was Family Plot...shame

Liked
    0 times
    In truth he came back out of desperation after the collective flops of Marnie, Torn Curtain and Topaz. Universal had given up on him and he had to part finance it himself.

Those movies are still playing to rave reviews here in the USA!!

I saw all of them (in various places in the world) when they were first released and didn't think they were at all bad!

A case of Hitchcock being a bit ahead of his time?

In any case, they are considered classics on this side of the pond.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast