Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Some weeks ago, I sent the Where Did They Film That? UK website a list of the filming locations for the 1952 Dirk Bogarde / Jon Whiteley drama, HUNTED. But they don't seem to be interested in putting the details on their site, so I have included them below for anyone interested.

Portpatrick, Scotland.

London (various locations)

and the following locations in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire:

Honeywall; Stoke.

Oxford Street, Penkhull;

Sutherland Road, Longton;

The railway scenes with all the pottery bottle oven kilns in the background were filmed on the old Potteries Loop Line in Burslem (now long since gone thanks to Dr Beeching).

By coincidence; I have, for the past 12 years, lived only one hundred yards from number 4, Oxford Street, Penkhull, which was the address used in the film as the supposed lodging house that Dirk Bogarde and Jon Whiteley were staying in on their flight north.

Filming was done there around late 1951.

David.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, Freddy,

Here's another snippet of information about Hunted. When a retrospective article about it being filmed in Stoke-on-Trent appeared in the local evening paper, The Sentinel, in 1998, the person who played the uncredited paper boy who shoves the Daily Mirror with the front page story of the hunt for Dirk and Jon through the letterbox of 4, Oxford Street, wrote to the paper to say he had been that very paper boy. His name is John Dunn and I think he was about 12 years old at the time. He now lives in Bradwell, near Stoke-on-Trent. He related in his letter:

"My father was taking me to school when a taxi stopped alongside us in Victoria Street, Basford. The driver said he had been told to look for a young boy to take part in the film. My father agreed to let me do it.

I was taken to a street in Penkhull. Two buses parked there were being used by people in the film. I sat right by Dirk Bogarde and remember thinking that he looked like a completely ordinary person.

I was filmed pushing a special newspaper through the post box. It had an article on the front about Dirk Bogarde as the man being hunted. They also recruited people from the dole in Stoke to walk past the end of the street as if they were going to work.

Later, we went to Sutherland Road, Longton, where the director was puzzled by a pigeon cote and asked us what it was. I wasn’t asked to do anything else for the film.

It was an enjoyable day off school and I was paid for it."

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Excellent info David -

Up till just under two years ago I was working based in N-U-L, and the Stoke area ; if I'd known this then, I'd have kept my eyes open and taken the camera with me.

Has it all changed very much ? I assume so, with the 'new' road cutting through Longton.

SMUDGE

Liked
    0 times
    Hi, Smudge,

I haven't been down to Longton for ages, but I reckon that part of Sutherland Road must have changed quite a bit. Honeywall has changed completely since 1951, flanked by four ten storeys high tower blocks.

Although the end house in Oxford Street, Penkhull is still there and still looks pretty much the same as it did in the film, the view from the corner of Oxford Street has changed considerably since the film was shot. The view opposite across Honeywall road in the film was open fields, but there's a large housing estate there now.

The area where the railway used to be around Burslem has changed beyond recognition and that's what makes this shot on location 53 years ago British film of such interest for local historians and indeed, for anyone interested in what the post war period in this country looked like at the time.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for passing on that very interesting information David.

One thing that always stuck in my mind after watching "Hunted" was how savagely Dirk Bogarde seemed to pull the young Jon Whiteley around by the arms during the film.

Obviously it was only acting but i bet Jon had a few bruises on his arm's after each day's shooting.

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    I know what you mean, Dave. I feel such sympathy for Jon whenever I watch that scene near the beginning of the film where Dirk shakes him violently and shouts at him. It must have stunned 1952 audiences too, in cinemas all over the country.

According to an article on Hunted in an old film annual I have, when they were shooting that scene, Jon, who, remember, was only six years old at the time, was terribly upset and burst into tears. He thought that Dirk, who had become a hero to him, had suddenly and inexplicably turned against him. Before the next take, Dirk managed to convince Jon that this was only acting, but it was meant to seem real. From that moment on, Jon entered into the spirit of the film with all his heart.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    HUNTED (1952)

Here below are comparisons using frames showing Stoke-on-Trent locations in the film as they looked in 1951, when the film was shot and the same locations as they look today, fifty-eight years later. From top to bottom: Honeywall, Stoke: Sutherland Road, Longton; Oxford Street, Penkhull and the railway between Burslem and Cobridge...now completely gone, thanks to Doctor Beeching. The former track bed is now a greenway for use by cyclists and walkers and the bridges have also long gone.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    There is certainly a lot of difference in these before and after shots just goes to show nothing is safe from the developers

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, if Dirk Bogarde or Jon Whiteley went back there today, they'd have trouble recognising where they were...especially at the former railway location, which has changed beyond recognition and is now completely devoid of anything to do with railways.

Liked
    98 times
    Does anyone know whereabouts in London these scenes were filmed? According to the dialogue, the pawnbroker's shop was in Vauxhall Bridge Road, which does exist and is situated midway between Westminster and Pimlico.

The last frame above is obviously outside the capital, but the country house could be a clue as to its location.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    The docks scene is Ivory House, St Katherine Docks. The road by the thames with the church in the top right hand side is Grosvenor Road direcly opposite Battersea Power Station.

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Anthony, that's two locations identified. Much appreciated. Obviously, you haven't always lived in New Zealand. I think that the building on the left in the first frame is bombed out and has probably gone long ago. Just after that shot, Jon Whiteley turns to the left of the image and there is a street sign on the other side of the road. I can't quite make it out, but it looks something like Clarendon Road or Clarendon Street...the first word is definitely a long word, anyway.

Liked
    98 times
    What happened to my Stoke-on-Trent "Then and Now" images a few posts above? They've mysteriously disappeared.

Liked
    98 times
    It's okay, it was my error. After I uploaded the images on here, I deleted them from my Photobucket account, as I wouldn't need them any more...unfortunately, that automatically deleted them off here as well. So I have had to upload them onto Photobucket again.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    This pic has a look of Wilton Road about it, looking towards Victoria.......

Liked
    98 times
    I'll take your word on that, Mark and thanks. I don't know London very well (it's a very big place) and I haven't actually been there since I was nine years old in 1956, passing through the capital on my way to the now long gone St Mary's Children's Convalescent Home at Broadstairs in Kent. By the way, if anyone is wondering why some of these frames are lighter than others, it's because some of them were captured on my old computer (the lighter ones) and some on my new Laptop (the darker ones). I haven't got a programme on this Laptop that enables me to lighten frame captures as I had on the old one. Therefore, image brightness is not uniform.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='darrenburnfan']

I love that old view with all the potteries chimneys.

But some changes are for the better. It must be easier to see across the valley now - and to do other things, like breathe

Steve

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, there is a haze over the location in the frame...that haze used to hang over The Potteries, as Stoke-on-Trent was then known, due to the smoke from the bottle chimneys that poured forth their thick black smoke when the pottery ware was being fired.

When I came to live in Stoke-on-Trent as a seven year old in 1954, the scenery was still like this in Longton and there was a taste of clay dust in the air that you could feel in the back of your throat when you walked through a town like Longton. The pavements outside the Potbanks, as the pottery factories were called, had a layer of white clay dust along them. It's all gone now, swept away by progress and the clean air acts of the 1960's onwards.

Hundreds, if not thousands, of bottle chimneys throughout the area have since been swept away, with only a handful remaining for posterity...including those at the Gladstone working pottery museum in Longton. The ones seen in this frame are also long gone. People who look at 100 year old Post Cards of smokey old Stoke and think that it looks like that these days are in for a surprise if they ever come here. It may still be a dead alive hole compared with Cambridge or Oxford, but it's 100 % cleaner and greener now than it was when Hunted was filmed here.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan
    Thanks, Anthony, that's two locations identified. Much appreciated. Obviously, you haven't always lived in New Zealand.
    True - but I only know London through my locations research. With all this new Interweb stuff it's not difficult to pick up 'local knowledge'.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony McKay
    The road by the thames with the church in the top right hand side is Grosvenor Road directly opposite Battersea Power Station.

In the original film still, you can just see Chelsea Bridge above the railings on the left - although the railway bridge across the river in front of Chelsea Bridge, is obscured by them.

The tower by Victoria Station (marked on both pics) is one of the few landmarks in that area still visible today, but everything to the right of the screencap was redeveloped in the 50s into the Churchill Gardens Estate, some of which is visible in the bottom picture.

(My grandparents were among the first residents of Churchill Gardens.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast