Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    If you've seen DB7's thread about the Beeb replying to criticism and the following posts you might want to (a)put your name forward for support, and([img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img] come up with any ideas as to how to go about it, I know we seem like Minnows chasing a Pike, but at least it might make us feel better! Come on, let's try something, we ain't got nuthin to loose! :) Regards,Decks.

Liked
    4 times
    You certainly have my support.

Perhaps a good start would be to ask the BBC for a complete list of all the British films they have in their archives.

Would this be covered by the new Freedom of Information Act ?

With this information we would be better able to decide exactly what we want them to do.

Liked
    151 times
    Very hard Decks, one of the things that struck me in the reply from the Beeb's film commissioner was that a star cast took precedence over the a well made film. Sadly that's the same mindset as most Hollywood producers; the cult and pulling power of celebrity. If the BBC are ratings-driven then I fail to see why they can't increase their indigenous film output via BBC2 or BBC4; but at the end of the day it's a publicly funded station not a commercial channel that relies on advertising revenue.

The BBC are required to support British independent productions but 'film' isn't included (tho some are pushing for it's inclusion) and for the past three years the Beeb have fallen below the required quota.

The producers union PACT are trying to push the BBC but the only people who can bring about change are management level at the corporation or the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. Given it's charter renewal time the latter might be your best bet. I'd suggest contacting an MP. I spoke with Edward Leigh about the BFI last year and received a proper reply from the clerk of the committee, but in the case of the BBC somebody like Gerald Kaufman might be better as he takes a close interest in the corporation.

Liked
    0 times
    Hmmm, writing to Gerald Kaufman seems like a good place to start DB7. Can we write to him as the Britmovie forum? I don't know if it's possible because everyone might not feel the same about it and might not wish to be included. I suppose it could be titled "The forum members lobby" or something like that......anyway for everyone who wants to go with it I'll compile a letter and post it on the forum for approval and any changes you might want, if that's ok with you all please post your agreement and I'll start a-writing! thanks all! Regards, Decks.

Liked
    0 times
    You can add my name to your list if it gets off the ground.

Liked
    151 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>deckard:

Hmmm, writing to Gerald Kaufman seems like a good place to start.[/b]
    He's written a couple of film books and is chair of the Culture, media and sport committee so he should be receptive to any related debate.

http://faxyourmp.com/ says he responds 93% of faxes sent and you can send an email from here .

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>DB7:

SNIP...a star cast took precedence over the a well made film. LOTS OF SNIP [/b]
    Its the same the world over; sadly.

Count me in......

Liked
    0 times
    Me too!!! thumbs_u

Liked
    0 times
    and me!