Liked
    0 times
    The Haunting on DVD in the UK: 29th:Sep:2003

The Haunting [1963] is coming to England, where it belongs, finally on DVD. The suspense may be too

much for me to take until the 29th of this very month. The greatest, if not of all time horror film. Timeless,

with an energy like the spirits themselves. This film is too creepy for words.

"An Evil Old House, the kind some people call haunted,

is like an undiscovered country waiting to be explored.

Hill House had stood for 90 years and might stand for

90 more. Silence lay steadily against the wood and

stone of Hill House and whatever walked there, walked

alone."

Robert Wise relies on the old adage of what you don't see is more scary, ala, Night Of The Demon style.

Richard Johnson's performance brings with it the credibility and believability to make the audience believe

the impossible. It's one of those perfect films that gets the blend of fear, suspense and terror. The result is

a horror film that is guaranteed to chill. Filmed in crisp Black & White and using infra-red film emulsion and

cameras for the ghost scenes [would someone please explain this to me, it looks like a scope lense to me!?]

Some might laugh at the film as not being scary, but I recently watched this on my old video version at night

and it still managed to creep me out. My favouruite scene is the banging at the door. If I ever heard those sounds

I think I'd faint there and then.

Although the film is set in America in New England, there wasn't a house as hellish as Hill House for filming.

So where did they find such a demonic mansion, England of course. The gothic architectural concoction is

The Ettington Park Hotel in Stratford Upon Avon. I don't know whether it's still a hotel, if it is, I imagine they

make a fortune from Japanese tourists wanting to stay in Hill House.

Another favourite scene is with the house servant maid woman, where she continually repeats her implicit

style of "I serve breakfast at 8, I leave after 11. There'll be no one else in the house after that. You'll be alone

in the house. I'm the only one they can get, no one else will come closer that that, they stay away from Hill

House from town. You'll be all alone." Everything in this film is effective, the set-up in Act 1 is ingenious with

it's character establishment and the narration of Julie Harris.

The DVD is in WIDESCREEN 2.35:1 which should look beautiful on DVD.

DVD features are:

Commentary by Julie Harris, Claire Bloom, Russ Tamblyn, director Robert Wise, and screenwriter Nelson Gidding.

Theatrical trailer(s).

Stills gallery.

'Things That Go Bump in the Night' essay.

Not the best DVD in the world, a documentary would have been good. The sound is in mono , which I find hard

to believe as a good Digital 5.1 Surround mix was made for films like this, the film is pure sound almost. I'll just

have to turn the volume up extreme and annoy the neighbours.

I'll let everyone else speak about their favourite moments from this BRITISH! horror masterpiece. I really want to

know whether people find this film scary. This year celebrates 40 years of The Haunting.

Liked
    0 times
    *coughs*

is it my imagination or has no one taken any interest in this post . Am I the only person that likes this film?

*coughs*..."scary film" [English]

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Hi again Ste -

No, you are not alone. I think the original is a cracker. FAR better than the remake. It can still send a chill along your spine...

I think the place in Stratford IS still a hotel ; never tried to find the place though.

Favourite moment ? I don't know, but like you said, it's about what you DON'T see ! It's the overall atmosphere I enjoy.

Scared the beggars out of me when I was a lad though ; a few nights later we had an airlock in the pipes and all I could hear in the wall behind my bed was this awful booming knock, knock, knock...

Liked
    151 times
    Watched it again recently and frankly wish I hadn't as I was disappointed; it wasn't the film I remembered as a kid. Problem is that it builds up the tension (as Hitchcock would have done) - then fails to deliver on it (same goes for The Innocents). Julie Harris is also so annoying that I muttered "good" at the end. wink

The remake was unspeakably bad.

The DVD has low sound volume like most prints I've seen.

Obviously I suppose I've become desensitized (tho The Ring gripped me) so I may never venture to revisiting Albert Finney in The Green Man for fear it's not as I remember it.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Is available from Play.com at �2.99 delivered. If this has already been posted I apologise, but hey,what a bargain.

Senior Member Country: United States Lord Lionheart's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    One of my favorite movies for a price of a movie rental. I'm sure most older members have seen this but for anyone that hasn't I urge you to add this to your collection. Forget special effects, this is probably the scariest movie you will ever see;

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haunting-DVD-Julie-Harris/dp/B0000AISKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=7483975&sr=1-1]The Haunting [DVD] [1963]: Julie Harris, Claire Bloom, Richard Johnson, Russ Tamblyn, Fay Compton, Rosalie Crutchley, Lois Maxwell, Valentine Dyall, Diane Clare, Ronald Adam, Pamela Buckley, Amy Dalby, Davis Boulton, Robert Wise, Ernest Walter, Denis[/ame]

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Wow thanks! I love this film and I haven`t got it, I`m going to order it

xx

Liked
    0 times
    name='faginsgirl']Wow thanks! I love this film and I haven`t got it, I`m going to order it

xx

Try to add something for free shipping. I think you have to spend a fiver. ..................... No I don't work for Amazon

Senior Member Country: England DocRobertPepper's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    HMV has it for �3 and free shipping also

hmv.com: Music CDs, DVDs, Games & More

Liked
    0 times
    name='DocRobertPepper']HMV has it for �3 and free shipping also

hmv.com: Music CDs, DVDs, Games & More

Just curious, do HMV deliver to the US? I usually go to Amazon UK as they do. Doesn't matter where you go as �3 is a great deal for this movie, should be mandatory viewing every Halloween

Senior Member Country: England DocRobertPepper's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    This is what it says on the HMV web site

Standard Airmail: You will be charged a shipping cost for each item placed on your order - Europe �2.50, Rest Of The World �4.50. Upon entering the shipping country, deliveries will enter the postal system of the country concerned. It is our experience that goods delivered using this method arrive within 5-7 days of despatch for European destinations, and within 7-10 days of despatch for the Rest Of The World.

Overseas deliveries

Owing to the many different combinations of items that may form an order, it is difficult to offer a universal shipping cost.

If you wish to find out the delivery costs for a specific order, you may wish to place all the required items into your Shopping Bag and proceed to the Checkout page.

There is no obligation to buy at this point, but you can glance at the shipping costs by the various shipping methods. If you wish to go ahead with the purchase, you may then submit your order.

hope this is helpful

Liked
    0 times
    name='DocRobertPepper']This is what it says on the HMV web site

Standard Airmail: You will be charged a shipping cost for each item placed on your order - Europe �2.50, Rest Of The World �4.50. Upon entering the shipping country, deliveries will enter the postal system of the country concerned. It is our experience that goods delivered using this method arrive within 5-7 days of despatch for European destinations, and within 7-10 days of despatch for the Rest Of The World.

Overseas deliveries

Owing to the many different combinations of items that may form an order, it is difficult to offer a universal shipping cost.

If you wish to find out the delivery costs for a specific order, you may wish to place all the required items into your Shopping Bag and proceed to the Checkout page.

There is no obligation to buy at this point, but you can glance at the shipping costs by the various shipping methods. If you wish to go ahead with the purchase, you may then submit your order.

hope this is helpful

Thanks. I guess I should compare pricing and shipping rates when ordering UK DVD's. I usually just look for special sale prices or a movie I really want on Amazon

Junior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    fifty years on......and THE HAUNTING remains the "mount Everest" of the supernatural film. It is simply the greatest film of its sort made. I fell in love with it in the mid 1970s, and have never been lured elsewhere. And Ettington Hall still stands.......it's a wonderful hotel. IMG-20130908-01149.jpg.......and I AM intending to do a modern re-write for the BBC! And it SHALL be a sympathetic treatment in respect to Mrs Shirley Jackson's novel.......NOT an insult like the 1999 abortion!!