Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    151 times
    Source: BBCi Films, Cinescape Monday, January 12, 2004

BBCi Films reports that Love Actually star Bill Nighy and Martin Freeman (Tim from The Office) are set to topline sci-fi comedy The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Nighy says he's been cast as alien planet designer Slartibartfast in the long-gestating adaptation of Douglas Adams' novel. Freeman will play Arthur Dent, the everyday Earthling thrust into an interplanetary adventure.

"I'm a big fan of the book and the people who are making it are very cool people and I think they're going to do a good job," says Nighy. "It's a really good script. It's really, really faithful [to the book]. All the jokes are there and they're big fat jokes. It's wonderful. And with all the technology we have now, it can not only be a big satisfying comedy but I figure it could be quite exciting as well."

Nighy also added that a director is not set yet, although it was last believed that Garth Jennings would be helming the film. In related news, Cinescape has received a scoop on where some of the filming may take place:

The scooper told us that Labrador Pictures will assist the HITCHHIKER'S production shoot in Iceland "either in April or August this year" and that the location will likely be on a glacier, as in the case with the soon-to-be filming BATMAN shoot. It's expected that the exterior shoot will only take up about a week or a little more of time and only cost the production about a million dollars. When our scooper tried to find out more information they were told that the scenes in question "will concern the white and dark planet (don't remember that from the book, though I've read it more than once."

[ 07. January 2005, 09:23: Message edited by: DB7 ]

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Have they seen the BBC TV version? That was pretty good and was only let down by Zaphod's second head which looked very articial most of the time.

The onscreen graphics of extracts from the book were very good and would ensure people come back again and again so that they can read them all.

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    Can you name a PnP link here?

Liked
    418 times
    I can't (for once)

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    The production team (better known as Hammer and Tongs) were responsible for the Amolad inspired Pulp video.

Liked
    0 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>DB7:

the Amolad inspired Pulp video. [/b]
    Help the Aged?

Liked
    151 times
    Yep.

Liked
    0 times
    "I've seen all the pictures, I've studied them forever". :)

Liked
    151 times
    Jan. 29, 2004

Trio cross 'Galaxy' for Disney film

By Ian Mohr and Chris Gardner

Hip-hop artist/actor Mos Def, Zooey Deschanel and "The Office" star Martin Freeman have hopped aboard the Spyglass Entertainment/Walt Disney Co. project "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," a big-screen adaptation of the cult hit novel by Douglas Adams.

Mos Def will play Ford Prefect, an alien disguising himself as an out-of-work actor who sets out on an intergalactic journey with his best friend, mild-mannered earthling Arthur Dent (Freeman). The duo hitch a ride through space with the two-headed president of the galaxy, the beautiful and brilliant scientist Trillion (Deschanel) and a depressed robot while on a quest to discover the meaning of life.

"Galaxy" begins shooting in April in London under helmer Garth Jennings. Adams adapted his own novel for the screen. After his death, Karey Kirkpatrick came aboard for a rewrite. The cult hit "Hitchhiker's Guide" began as a radio series and launched a book series, television series and video game.

Spyglass toppers Roger Birnbaum and Gary Barber are producing the feature along with the company's Jon Glickman, filmmaker Jay Roach and Nick Goldsmith. Derek Evans, Robbie Stamp and Adams will receive executive producer credits. At the studio, the project is being overseen by Buena Vista Motion Pictures Group president Nina Jacobson along with executive vp production Jason Reed.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I hear they want Des o'Connor as a Vogon, so they can save money on make-up costs!

Liked
    0 times
    Can't wait... lets hope the effects are better than the TV series :)

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>thiscan:

Can't wait... lets hope the effects are better than the TV series :) [/b]
    I agree the TV effects were a bit ropey,but,well I thought that added to the charm!

Liked
    151 times
    Fry Chosen For Hitchhiker's Film

http://www.ananova.com/

Stephen Fry is over the moon to be offered the part of the voice of The Guide in the new movie of cult classic The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

The 47-year-old actor will join other Brits Martin Freeman and Bill Nighy, as well as John Malkovich and Mos Def in the sci-fi adventure due for release in May 2005.

The movie is based on Douglas Adams' best-selling books and TV series about Arthur Dent, a baffled Englishman in space.

Speaking about his new role, Fry piled on the excitment: "It's like having your birthday on Christmas Day, discovering a winning lottery ticket in your stocking and having chocolate poured all over you."

Adams wrote the screenplay for the film but sadly did not live to see the movie being made - he died following a heart attack in a gym in 2001, aged 49.

But Robbie Stamp, a close friend of Adams and executive producer of the movie, said:

"Casting the voice of The Guide is one of the single most important pieces of the jigsaw and I know that Douglas would have been delighted with the choice of Stephen Fry. His humour and intelligence are perfect for the voice of The Guide."

Liked
    0 times

Can you name a PnP link here? [/b]
    Oh I can. In the television series Deep Thought was voiced by Valentine Dyall who was also in 'The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp' and 'I Know Where I'm Going!'

"I'm sorry Spike but I cannot do an Irish accent."

Liked
    418 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>Clinton Morgan:

Can you name a PnP link here? [/b]
    Oh I can. In the television series Deep Thought was voiced by Valentine Dyall who was also in 'The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp' and 'I Know Where I'm Going!'

[/b]
    Nice one Clinton. I'd forgotten he did Deep Though in the TV series. It was voiced by Geoffrey McGivern in the radio series (or that's my excuse & I'm sticking to it).

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Ugh!

This is the merchandise...

http://www.planetmagrathea.com/toys.html

Liked
    418 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>Clinton Morgan:

Ugh!

This is the merchandise...

http://www.planetmagrathea.com/toys.html [/b]
    That's no good, you can't even buy a towel there :)

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    or a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.

Liked
    0 times
    I have to say that I wasn't impressed with this film one bit - Marvin just really p*ssed me right off.

Hugely Disappointed of Kingston

Senior Member Country: England sanndevil's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Agreed! The plus point was Martin "Mr Ordinary" Freeman who has that act down to a fine art. However, Trillian and Ford Prefect's acting was awful and Bill Nighy sleepwalked through his entire performance. Massive disappointment, complete stinkeroony [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbdown.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast