Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Arthur

Liked
    0 times
    Is anyone looking forward to seeing King Arthur this summer? Its got load of top quiality British talent in it!

Liked
    0 times
    Come on! you can't leave it like that tell us more

Please..

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    See the IMDb pages about it. It's currently in post-production so there could be some late changes but it should be fairly much as shown there.

Clive Owen as Arthur

Ioan (Hornblower) Gruffudd as Lancelot

Ray Winstone as Bors

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    Clive Owen talks about working on "King Arthur"

October 27, 2003 � Actor Clive Owen talked to the Calgary Sun about his recent work on the remake of "King Arthur" for producer Jerry Bruckheimer.

"It's a new take on the King Arthur story. It's unlike anything about Arthur we've seen on screen before," says Owen.

"What I didn't realize before I took the movie is that King Arthur is actually a romantic myth that developed over hundreds of years.

"It was set in Medieval times. Our version is set in 500 AD when the Roman Empire is crumbling."

Owen says he plays Arthur "as half Roman. He is the commander of a crack team of military men who gets the mission from hell.

"He has to go into unknown, dangerous territory to rescue a family just as the Saxons are invading."

He says it was an exhausting shoot because "we're on horseback for about 60% of the film. I had only done a bit of horseback riding before we started, so it proved most uncomfortable."

Owen says he gained a great deal of respect for his movie horse.

"We had to ride near fire and into massive crowds. There was always a huge amount of noise."

Liked
    151 times
    King Arthur: Additional filming underway.

April 27, 2004.

A scooper for Dark Horizons reveals that additional filming on King Arthur recently transpired in the Brecon Beacons National Park in Wales.

"Today was the last day of filming and they reshot some of the opening title sequence. Apparently, the studio was not impressed with what they saw," claims DH's source. "These new shots included tracking a young boy on horse galloping across the mountain and various aerial shots for this. The dramatic landscape is supposed to double for Russia – despite the fact that the Arthurian legend originated around these parts. Next week they will be at Pinewood Studios."

IGN FilmForce checked in with its own trusty Arthurian source who gave another side of the story.

"It is absolutely untrue that the studio was in any way 'unhappy' with anything, in fact the studio is very happy with what they've seen," says IGNFF's source. "In fact, some of the extra shooting includes extra effects which were considered 'optional' (that is, expensive) and were given the go-ahead because the studio is so excited about the picture."

King Arthur draws on historical research that suggests the real Arthur was a Roman warrior and his knights were Sarmatians (Russians), which is why the opening sequence is set by the Black Sea. The filmmakers were looking for locations better suited to double as the Black Sea than those offered by Ireland so reshoots and pick-up shots in Wales were necessary.

Another scene that was recently filmed was a forest scene with Merlin and Arthur. There were apparently issues with the original Irish location so filming couldn't be done there. The Pinewood scene slated to be filmed next week involves Merlin (Stephen Dillane) on the Round Table set.

In related news, Newsweek profiled King Arthur in its new summer movie preview. "It's 500 A.D.," star Clive Owen advised the mag. "Britain is in chaos. And there's this half Roman, half Briton who may be the one to galvanize his country. It's a journey of someone who becomes a man of his people."

Liked
    418 times
    DB7 wrote:

[snip]

In related news, Newsweek profiled King Arthur in its new summer movie preview. "It's 500 A.D.," star Clive Owen advised the mag. "Britain is in chaos. And there's this half Roman, half Briton who may be the one to galvanize his country. It's a journey of someone who becomes a man of his people."
    Is he trying for an entry in Pseuds Corner in Private Eye? :)

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Send him to Tintagel, that'll sort him out! :)

Liked
    0 times
    :) Hi All, newbie here.

I havn't checked out your forum properly yet but will for sure soon.

I live up in the Brecon beacons at quite a remote location... and very close to where the outshoots of some of King Arthur took place as described above.... I have some pics too which I may be able to post...boring ones of the enterge etc!! though.

I just would like to share that the film crew are back today and tommorow filming sa few stunt scenes in the forest and where the other stuff was filmed..... tis glasfynydd forest for those who like locations ...and the main filming a while back was a the bottom of the 'camarthen fan' of the trecastle to llanduisant road .

Greetings to all

Andy

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Welcome Andy, er, Absolutely...!

Thanks for the news on locations! We like locations on the forum.

Now we know where to find King Arthur! wink

Gibbie

Like the place names - Glasfynydd Forest and Llanduisant Road. Now, if I could only pronounce them. :)

Liked
    418 times
    There's probably more in Wales related to King Arthur than there is in England.

As for Welsh pronunciations - it's easy if you follow a few set rules. Unlike English where there are more exceptions than rules, in Welsh it's always pronounced as written.

BTW shouldn't that be Llanddeusant?

Steve

(a 1/2 Welsh Londoner)

Liked
    0 times
    Yes Steve thumbs_u ...I made a mistake with the spelling... one too many ciders lasty night

As steve says Gibbie pronunciation is much more natural once you get the hang of it : ie: Glasfynydd is pronounced Glass-fin-ith .

The main location is just below Lly y Fan Fach...The lake which is steeped in ledgend where the lady is supposed to have walked out from the lake and down to the local village...Myddfai.etc etc

For exact location s go here: http://www.multimap.com/

look down The centre blue grid line that runs N to S, just below the road that runs E to W under the wording, 'Usk Resr' is where the main shooting took place.... although it will probably only account for secounds in the Film :)

Originally they had shoot of about 4 days there...but they took 2 weeks to set the 'set

' up and a week to dismantle it.

Andy

[ 01. July 2004, 15:20: Message edited by: DB7 ]

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    "You cant expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart throws a sword at you!" :)

Liked
    0 times
    Iechyd da!

Gibbie

Liked
    0 times
    Just found this report re: filming of King Arthur...worth reading IMO .

"Hail King Arthur of the Beacons Jun 16 2004" at : http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/

[ 01. July 2004, 15:19: Message edited by: DB7 ]

Liked
    0 times
    They just started advertising over here.

Liked
    151 times
    Interview : Keira Knightley.

The first impression one has of 19-year old British actress Keira Knightley is her ability not to take Hollywood too seriously. While being touted as the next big thing to hit these shores from the UK in a while, the beautiful co-star of "Bend it like Beckham", "Love Actually" and last year’s "Pirates of the Caribbean", prefers to adopt a realistic perspective.

“I think acting is a profession that is built up and blown down in a moment,� Knightley says, while promoting King Arthur, in which she plays a feisty version of the classic Guinevere character. “All of that is very nice, but it is a puff of smoke. I think what you can do is just play your game, try and do projects that interest you and that you hope other people will find interesting. Of course it’s very nice when people say, ‘You’re the next big thing,’ but it’s the work that speaks for itself.�

Knightley is not without a sense of humour. Asked what keeps her grounded, she responds with “I don’t think I am particularly grounded�, laughingly conceding that she is “Completely wanky.� But seriously, she says, “I think as long as you surround yourself with people who are going to tell you when you’re acting up or are going to laugh at you, then all is fine.�

Knightley rose to immediate prominence as the young soccer player trying to compete in a man’s sport, in Bend it like Beckham. Her beautiful looks and charming persona would attract attention in the ensemble romantic comedy Love Actually, but Hollywood would soon beckon with Pirates of the Caribbean, and now a unique take on Guinevere, in the big budget King Arthur. On the latter, Knightley says that in taking on such a classic character, it was important to make her uniquely interesting. “We know all the legends and how many different ways we can do this. Then I read the script and said, ‘God, that’s actually interesting,’ so I was really excited. I think to take a story that everybody thinks they know so well and is such a famous romantic fantasy, and then try to find a very gritty reality behind it, is a really interesting process.�

Her Guinevere is tougher than her predecessors, a full-on action character who kicks butt with the best of them, something the actress clearly enjoyed, but draws the line at admitting that the character is something of a role model. “She’s sort of a scary role model, isn’t she? If you want a role model, fine with ‘Pirates’ or anything like that, but please don’t look to this.

Yes, certainly her strength is impressive, and as far as a moviegoer and somebody of my age, I want to see more strong women on film, which is what I’m interested in seeing. We’ve seen enough of these wimps – the girlfriend role, so I think it’s really positive to see images of women who are every bit as strong as the guys.� As for being immersed in the action of King Arthur, “When I was doing Pirates of the Caribbean, I was always watching the boys training for the fight scenes and doing them, and I always thought, ‘Aw, that looks so much fun.’ So I was desperate for a sword and in this I got swords and axes, making up for it. We trained for about three months before we started, and for me that involved a lot of weight training to try and bulk me up a bit.�

While in King Arthur, we get to see a more ‘manly’ side of the usually feminine actress, Knightley considers herself to be “like a man. I suppose I’m more of a tomboy than the girly-girl, which is why I can’t walk on these stilettos very well. I look drunk, which is fantastic,� Knightley says, laughingly. .

At 19, Knightley has avoided being cast as adolescents, has been married a number of times [on screen] and is therefore untypical of other actresses her age. Knightley says that she has gone out of her way avoiding the conventional teen casting route. “I think you can only do movies that you’d like to watch and I just haven’t really seen any teen movies. I think they’re a very American thing, and maybe not within the English culture. I’m not quite sure what they are, so I’m only trying to choose things that I’d like to see myself and that really interest me. It just so happens that it’s been films like this as opposed to like that,� says Knightley, philosophically.

When not working and playing at international movie star, Knightley no longer lives at home, she says. “I have bought a flat in London. I have a bed, a wardrobe and that’s it. People keep asking me to get decorators. But I’m like, no, no, no. That’s not the point. I am going to do it myself.� The actress lives alone, a fact that doesn’t concern or frighten her. “I spend most of my time living alone because I’m on sets. For this I was in Dublin in my own flat, on my own, for 6 months, and I like it. I keep walking into it and going, ‘Yeah, it’s a nice space. I’ll go back home now.’ “

Regarding her private life, Knightley remains guarded, laughing a bit too raucously when asked about the current state of her love life. “I’m not answering those questions� she exclaims with mock disgust.

But in looking for the right guy, she says “just nice guys, and if they want to offer me diamonds and proposals, then I’m totally up for it,� she says, again laughingly. Asked what it was like to be surrounded by a group of leather-clad hunks in King Arthur, Knightley offers a broad smile. “Oh, it was very distracting and good, because you know, eye candy is nice.� Knightley says she has little time off so does very little in her downtime, a period that is becoming rarer for this in-demand actress. “When I do get home I like to spend as much time with my friends and family as possible.�

Her professional future is just as rosy, with a big-screen adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and of course two new Pirates films. There is little doubt that Keira Knightley is someone with more than a solid future in front of her, and nobody is more surprised by her new-found stardom than the actress herself. “I’ve been amazingly lucky with the last couple of films that I’ve done, “Pirates� in particular, having been amazingly successful. But it is something that you can’t predict, so it’s been a surprise and just fantastic, as far as I’m concerned. Ever since I was tiny my interests have always been watching movies, reading about movies, and making movies and I guess that’s what I’ve always been interested in and fascinated by the process. So to get the opportunity to do that most of the time is fantastic.�

[ 01. July 2004, 15:18: Message edited by: DB7 ]

Liked
    0 times
    What's wrong with this page - I'm having to scroll right and left to read it? :mad:

Liked
    0 times
    JIM:

What's wrong with this page - I'm having to scroll right and left to read it?
    OK! I can read it alright now!

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for tidying up the link DB7 :) .

To me, the time between the end of filming and release seems incredibly quick...6th july in the states I believe and here in the uk the 30th july..

Saturdays 'mail' carried a grand 4 page article on the film and ran a pic on the front cover of its 'weekend' mag.

Liked
    0 times
    Hey, I'm all for women's lib and women's rights, as a male Yank, but this incarnation of Guinevere is downright sacrilegeous! I'm glad Ms. Knightley had the sense to dub her role as "scary" and to not look at it as a role model for women. The things that are done to appease the Hollywood gods! Aaaaargh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast