Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    151 times
    Winstone to play the Krays

Actor Ray Winstone is set to play both Kray twins in a new film about the gangland killers. Mdern cinema technology will allow Winstone to take on the roles of Ron and Reg.

The man who brought the Krays to justice, Detective Sergeant Leonard ‘Nipper’ Read, who lives in Nazeing, will be played by Bob Hoskins in the film.

Writer and director Ray Burdis says the movie will pull no punches about the Krays’ reign of terror in London’s East End during the 1950s and 1960s.

In an interview with the Daily Mail, he said: "I want to dispel the myth that the East End was a safer place when they were around. That’s a load of old cobblers."

Burdis was one of the producers of the 1990s film The Krays, which starred Gary and Martin Kemp from pop band Spandau Ballet.

“I was in direct communication with the Krays in prison and they wanted a 'St Krays’ kind of movie, although it didn’t show them in a completely goody-goody light," Burdis told the Daily Mail.

"This will be the film we should have made then."

Ron and Reg Kray were jailed in 1969 after being convicted of two murders. Ronnie died in 1995, Reg in 2000 and both are buried in Chingford Mount Cemetery. Their funerals brought massive crowds and media attention to the area.

Liked
    0 times
    RAY WINSTONE TO PLAY TWO VIOLENT PSYCHOS? WELL, THERE'S A SURPRISE! sleep

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    3 times
    The Krays are dead and buried. Their reign of terror was evil, and blighted many innocent families. The gangland mentality of inner cities in the UK today is still fueled by the continuing glorification of these psychopathic bully boy types in film and TV, like they're some sort of Robin Hood folk heroes.

It's also very old hat (Jack the Hat?), as boring a tale as any episode of The Bill or Eastenders, and if I see any more jolly Cockney "salt o' the earth, know what I mean? Apples and pears, skin and blister, going' up West, do what? Coh, streuth, gor blimey guv'nor!" villains on screen I'll scream!

I'm surprised they're using Ray Winstone, I would have thought Hugh Grant or Martin Clunes would "bring something new to the role". "I say you Maltese gang type chappies, we're taking over this here billiard hall so be off with you and be quick about it if you know what's good for you, or I'll shove this here sword right up where the jolly old sun doesn't shine, see!"

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    I see that this remake with Ray playing both parts has been shelved, any idea's why?.

I also see the Ray has cloned himself into looking like Ronnie Kray these days

Perhaps he is living out the part first!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    That was first suggested years ago and AFAIK never got passed the 'idea' stage. Given Ray's current schedule I wouldn't have thought he had the time for it anyway!

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    The film with the Kemp brothers is really well done IMO. I can`t see that anyone can add anymore in another film.

Not keen on Winston anyway.

xx

Liked
    0 times
    name='faginsgirl']The film with the Kemp brothers is really well done IMO. I can`t see that anyone can add anymore in another film.

Not keen on Winston anyway.

xx

Can't agree with that I'm afraid, although the Kemp brothers version was well made they were about as scary as snow white, I'm not that keen on Winstone either, too many misfiring projects from him of late especially on TV but would love to have seen him doing this film.

Liked
    255 times
    name='kingbman']Can't agree with that I'm afraid, although the Kemp brothers version was well made they were about as scary as snow white, I'm not that keen on Winstone either, too many misfiring projects from him of late especially on TV but would love to have seen him doing this film.

But what would be the point of it. Ray Burdis says 'it will be the film we should have made before'. Sounds like an excuse for copious amounts of gratuitous violence to me. If the 'true story' has to be told, a TV series in the style of The Long Firm would be a better idea IMHO.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Got to agree with kingbman here. I don't care for the Spandau Krays at all. It's just not the picture the story deserves. Al Capone's story has with stood more than film version and although The Twins story is very different, it can easily handle a second round, hopefully without the machine guns.

Liked
    0 times
    I don't understand why one actor is playing both parts. Ron and Reg looked nothing alike

Liked
    0 times
    name='Straff']I don't understand why one actor is playing both parts. Ron and Reg looked nothing alike

I'm sure the make up department would have taken care of that Straff

Senior Member Country: UK homeguard's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    [quote]name='kingbman']I see that this remake with Ray playing both parts has been shelved, any idea's why?.

QUOTE]

Probably couldn't afford to turn a fat caricature of the East End into a pair of 60s hoodies. There's enough meat, but the elocution-lessons bill would have been prohibitive. Seriously, there probably are gangs out there that could make the Krays look like boy scouts these days.

Leave 'em buried.

Regards,

HG

Liked
    150 times
    name='Straff']I don't understand why one actor is playing both parts. Ron and Reg looked nothing alike
    I have to agree with that.

Surely Winstone's not the right build either?

DS x.

Liked
    0 times
    [quote]name='homeguard;248186]
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbman'
    I see that this remake with Ray playing both parts has been shelved, any idea's why?.

QUOTE]

Probably couldn't afford to turn a fat caricature of the East End into a pair of 60s hoodies. There's enough meat, but the elocution-lessons bill would have been prohibitive. Seriously, there probably are gangs out there that could make the Krays look like boy scouts these days.

Leave 'em buried.

Regards,

HG

Doubt that!, the Krays were old school violence and were hard hard laddies not like the cowards that hide behind guns and knives nowadays I'm not condoning the violence by any means but some of the so called villains today are as hard as my last bowel movement

Liked
    255 times
    name='kingbman'] some of the so called villains today are as hard as my last bowel movement

I bet you wouldn't say that to their faeces!

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Reggie and Ron were very much alike in terms of looks until Ron's medication took hold and changed his appearance according to their biographer, John Pearson (cf "The Profession Of Violence").

Interestingly, he also pointed out that the image of the British gangster shifted somewhat after they came on the scene as neither of them were particularly big men.....5ft 10 and 11 or 12 stone but they would always "go to the limit". Their predecessors Hill, The Nashes, Comer had all been rather larger.

I agree with earlier comments about the Kemps not really being up to the mark. Tom Bell on the other hand was totally believable as Jack "The Hat" McVitie.

Anyway, it looks like all is on the back burner for now.

About time someone considered new ground and thought about recording on film the life and times of "Mad" Frankie Fraser?

Liked
    255 times
    I'd like to see a film about Jack 'Spot' Comer .... there are a couple of good books about him so the research material is already there.

LINK: Jack Comer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    name='batman']I'd like to see a film about Jack 'Spot' Comer .... there are a couple of good books about him so the research material is already there.

LINK: Jack Comer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good subject bats.

Even though Frank Fraser is 85 now his memory is lucid; he'd make an ideal consultant; Jack Spot features quite often in his autobiography..........obviously

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Sorry Straff and Dane Starry, but in the early days The Twins were regularly mistaken for each other, especially by those who didn't know them well.

Liked
    150 times
    name='billy bentley']Sorry Dane Starry, but in........

I ham Hingerlish!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast