Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    On Sunday 29th August (Bank Holiday Sunday), The Powell and Pressburger Appreciation Society and various other people will be holding their annual location walk revisiting some of the locations used in the film A Canterbury Tale (1944).

Most of the film was shot in the villages around Canterbury. This year we're visiting Fordwich. Just off the A28 (Margate road) East of Canterbury.

Visit St Mary's parish church (the location for the 'Sunday morning service' scene); the George & Dragon (where Michael Powell stayed in 1943 while making the film, and used as a background for one of the 'Hand of Glory' scenes); and then visit Fordwich Town Hall (the inspiration for the sets Michael Powell created for the 'blackout' scenes) and nearby locations.

Details at the PaPAS web site.

See you there

Steve

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Steve,

As a great fan of 'A Canterbury Tale'i am so envious of the people able to go on the location walk.

For years i was intrigued about where the wonderful locations in the film were located.

Thanks to the great Powell & Pressburger Appreciation Society site i have been able to take note of the exact locations.

Although i'm a little too far away to make the tour this Bank Holiday i've made a vow that one day i will actually get to see the locations in person.

Meanwhile i'll look forward to your reports of the tour on what i hope will be a marvellous day out for everyone.

Dave. thumbs_u

Liked
    418 times
    Well the annual A Canterbury Tale location walk for 2004 was great fun. About 60 people turned up, which is quite appropriate for a 60 year old film.

We were joined by a couple of the "boys" who were in the film (now a bit older of course). Prof. Ian Christie who is the acknowledged academic expert on Powell & Pressburger was there to see what we all get up to and to record some interviews for a programme that we expect will air next year (Powell's centenary year). Nick Burton, head of Film & TV at Canterbury Christ Church College came along as well as did the lovely lady you all know as aphra. And many other people who all know and love the film.

As well as being a location walk it's just a chance to meet people with a similar interest but who are otherwise totally different. Everyone seemed to have a different reason for being there, a different reason for loving the film.

It's also a lovely excuse to get out on a Bank Holiday Sunday and have a nice walk in a lovely bit of Kent countryside.

The full set of reports and various photos will appear, in due course, on the PaPAS web site.

Steve

[ 30. August 2004, 15:00: Message edited by: DB7 ]

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    How fun! You could start a whole industry on this sort of thing, Steve. I'm sure English Heritage would support such a thing.

Sorry I missed it. Perhaps next time or two?

Gibbie

Liked
    418 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>Gibbie:

How fun! You could start a whole industry on this sort of thing, Steve. I'm sure English Heritage would support such a thing.

Sorry I missed it. Perhaps next time or two?

Gibbie [/b]
    Well we've done one every year for the last 6 or 7 years and we see no reason why we should stop now.

There will be another, smaller, location walk around Canterbury itself as part of the Powell & Pressburger film festival from the 9th - 16th October. See PaPAS web site. That's part of the Canterbury Arts Festival this year. The location walk will be on Sun Oct 10th.

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I plan to be in the country, but will be in Cambridgeshire that day. Hope it goes well!