Senior Member Country: England sanndevil's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Folks - thought I'd appraise everyone of my latest software development. I have developed a database (nmdb - after my initials) which automatically downloads the tv schedules (terrestrial and sattelite) from the Internet, extracts all programmes which are movies, and records these entries in a database. As a trivial example it will tell you when a favourite film was last aired such as say "Die Another Day", for that it will say 27/10/04 21:00 ITV1. More complex searches will be possible as the data builds up in time - for example - "list all British films from the 50s shown on Channel4 in a 12 month period". This particular search will be useful to detemine whether British films are represented well on particular channels!

It is also relatively smart in as much it can sort out ambiguities in the way the TV listing compilers write the titles of films - e.g. MEN IN BLACK 2 will be corrected automatically to MEN IN BLACK II.

I have written to the BFI to see whether they would be interested in helping me develop this further - such as having a web portal so anyone can use it for free, or for instance to hook up to the BFI's historical data which would make my system very powerful. Obviously I'm not optimistic they will reply or want to be involved, but you never know.

In the meantime, I will try and extract interesting stuff for anyone that wants on this forum, but obviously be aware that my database's DAY 1 was last Friday so I don't have too much historical info just yet!

Cheers

Nigel thumbs_u

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Great resource, Nigel!

Gibbie thumbs_u

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Great idea Nigel! Let's hope you get all the support you need, it will be interesting to watch the database grow and become more and more useful. Jeez! I wish I was a techy sort of chap, the only thing I.T. means around me is ermm..it!

Liked
    0 times
    P.S clap Regards, Decks.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Sounds very useful. Let us know when & where we can see anything

Steve

Liked
    151 times

Liked
    0 times
    No, not at all. That provides the tv schedules and gives a good heads up as to what's on TV. I use a similar service to download the listings for my database.

My database records an entry for all films on TV, so in ten years time you'll be able to find out which films were broadcast on 26/10/04.

You can't do that with the above.

Liked
    0 times
    I have nothing but admiration for anyone who understands all this tecnoshit and I wish you all the luck in the world with what you are trying to achieve. But I can't imagine how anything you start now will have any relevance in two years time let alone ten. If you look at the way Sky have changed things in the last couple of years what next?. Maybe it's my age but I don't look forward to what the future might bring with any excitment anymore, to be honest it frightens me.

Liked
    0 times
    In fact, future technological advances will make my database development more relevant because we will be able to take a snapshot of society's television viewing habits at a particular time.

There will come a day when every single movie has been digitised and will be viewable on-demand for a fee. However, I genuinely don't believe we are nearer than twenty years away from that. Even when that arrives, not everyone in society is either going to want that service, or will necessarily be able to afford it. So, a market will still exist for broadcasters like the BBC.

Something else worth considering - with the explosion of niche TV channels in America, everyone predicted the death of the 'traditional' channels whose output is based on variety (e.g. NBC, ABC). In fact, that hasn't happened at all so again there is little to suggest that our institutional broadcasters will disappear overnight either.

Liked
    0 times
    I don't disagree with you on anything except the twenty years. My grandfather was born before Keith Harris and Orville first flew at Kittyhawke and died after Neil Armstrong took his one small step. I spent my entire schooling on £.s.d, feet and inch's. The grammer school I went to prepared me for the computer era by introducing me to binary for 6 months. Inside two years of leaving school one Monday morning we had decimalization. A couple of years later and Kojack's on BBC with a digital watch and Captain Scarlet on ITV is still watching painted numbers click over. You have always had to be a brave man to anticipate the future in the past but to do it now in this day and age, well as I said I wish you luck.

Liked
    0 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>HACKETT:

I don't disagree with you on anything except the twenty years. My grandfather was born before Keith Harris and Orville first flew at Kittyhawke and died after Neil Armstrong took his one small step. I spent my entire schooling on £.s.d, feet and inch's. The grammer school I went to prepared me for the computer era by introducing me to binary for 6 months. Inside two years of leaving school one Monday morning we had decimalization. A couple of years later and Kojack's on BBC with a digital watch and Captain Scarlet on ITV is still watching painted numbers click over. You have always had to be a brave man to anticipate the future in the past but to do it now in this day and age, well as I said I wish you luck. [/b]
    Yep Hackett... I am almost a carbon copy regarding schooling and decimalisation and when I was in my youth a lot of predictions went on about the future and all, much of them way off the mark. But I really believe that the internet and all it's computerised digital what-nots have completed buggered any sense of understanding of what the future should be, imho it will be impersonal, self-centred and uncaring toward the real world around it. Notice I mention real world, because the more time spent enveloped in technology is and will cut people off from reality, yes we all are lovers of fantasy otherwise we would'nt be on here- but to the extent it's heading toward?Yes Hackett mate, it frightens me too. Regards, Decks.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>deckard:

Yep Hackett... I am almost a carbon copy regarding schooling and decimalisation and when I was in my youth a lot of predictions went on about the future and all, much of them way off the mark. But I really believe that the internet and all it's computerised digital what-nots have completed buggered any sense of understanding of what the future should be, imho it will be impersonal, self-centred and uncaring toward the real world around it. Notice I mention real world, because the more time spent enveloped in technology is and will cut people off from reality, yes we all are lovers of fantasy otherwise we would'nt be on here- but to the extent it's heading toward?Yes Hackett mate, it frightens me too. Regards, Decks. [/b]
    You're always such an optimist Decks thumbs_u

But I suppose that one advantage of always expecting the worse is that things can only get better

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    We should give the pair of miserable luddites their own 'Grumpy Middle-Aged Men' forum.

smash

Liked
    0 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>DB7:

We should give the pair of miserable luddites their own 'Grumpy Middle-Aged Men' forum.

smash [/b]
    He-he! Oh such misguided youth! Do you really believe technology will save you? Beware the ides of megabyte - you won't know what's happening to you, but it will come , it will come, he-he, ha-ha, ho-ho.... ghostly Regards and commiserations, Decks.

Liked
    151 times
    Decks, are you David Icke in disguise? hysteric

Liked
    0 times
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo! Sussed! I'll have to go back to ......Livrpool 1, Everton 0. God help me ..erm....I think! hysteric clap Nice one DB7, D'ya think anyone will recognise me dressed like this? Regards, Davi....bugger I mean Decks.

[ 29. October 2004, 17:44: Message edited by: DB7 ]

Liked
    0 times
    A thought occurs to be me chaps and chapesses - Video tapes and machines will no doubt soon be obsolete, as LPs are, (although a small manufacturer is making LPs again somewhere in Britain), not everyone will have the kit to transfer video to DVD. Would it not be a good idea to buy a couple of video machines, as they are reletively cheap now and store them for when your original machine packs up?

What do you technos think?

help

Liked
    0 times
    I did that myself years ago Jim.

Anybody want to buy an unused Betamax Video recorder?.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    I'll exchange you for an early mobile phone that's too heavy for me to carry and a top of the range video camera that straps to your shoulder & needs a car battery to run it!

Dave.