Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked
    151 times
    Ekland Threatens Legal Action Over Sellers Film

Britt Ekland is threatening to take legal action to block the new biopic of her late ex-husband Peter Sellers. The Swedish actress is furious as the film - The Life And Death Of Peter Sellers - is based on a controversial biography of the Pink Panther star which she refused to co-operate with. The film - which stars Geoffrey Rush as Sellers and Oscar-nominated Charlize Theron as Ekland - charts the couples' turbulent relationship. This includes their first night of passion at London's Dorchester Hotel, their marriage 11 days later and their subsequent divorce four years later in 1968. The biography by Roger Lewis alleges Sellers treated Ekland with "disdain" and was obsessed with Italian screen legend Sophia Loren. Ekland is anxious she will be inaccurately represented in the film - scheduled for broadcast on American network HBO this summer - and has told her legal team to go through it "with a fine-tooth comb". A spokesperson for Company Pictures, the film makers, says, "The book by Roger Lewis was really only used as research so we are hoping this will not be an issue." Sellers' children have already expressed their anger over the portrayal their father in the movie.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    It's a strange thing the"biopic".I suppose generally speaking it's a massive compliment to whoever the pic is about,because they have to be famous(or infamous!)enough to be considered,otherwise the film won't make enough at the box-office(yep,that old nugget!)So, what does it boil down to--an accurate portrait of a sorely missed talent or a money making excersise through sensationalism and heresay?I think how it works after all is said and done,if you give the people what they think they want,they will pay money for it,so whatever family and friends think about it is,unfortunately,neither here nor there.But,that said,I still find the "Biopic" compelling and will probably go and see this one,go figure!Yep the "Biopic"is a strange bedfellow..........

Liked
    0 times
    Generally speaking I'm not too fond of biopics, but I find them easier to watch if I don't know too much about the subject or if I don't know what the subject look(s)/ed like! I can just watch it like a normal film then. The problem is that biopics don't just require 'normal' acting, they involve some kind of impression from the actor of the person they are meant to be.

'Backbeat' and 'The Glen Miller Story' didn't work for me because in the former I just didn't buy into the actors as being The Beatles, and in the latter I was aware of myself sat watching James Stewart. He didn't really come across as Glen Miller, more like himself playing any old musician. I wouldn't go to see 'Ali' because Muhammed Ali is someone with a strongly defined personality and so I couldn't accept Will Smith as being him.

Similarly, I probably won't be going to see the Sellers film because I don't think anybody could play Peter Sellers and thoroughly convince me enough for me to be able to suspend reality for two hours or so. As I've read the Roger Lewis book too, it would be weird to see various passages and anecdotes being acted out on the screen.

The only biopic I can think of at the moment which I found satisfying was 'Reach For The Sky'. This was because though I know who Douglas Bader was, he's not somebody I've read a lot about and I don't know what he looked like, so I came to the film with no expectations of how Kenneth More should have played it and thus was able to relax and watch the film like any other. In fact to me Kenneth More IS Douglas Bader!

Liked
    0 times
    Have just had a look at the cast list for the Peter Sellers film...?!?!?!?!?!? That idiot out of Tenpole Tudor and later presenter of The Crystal Maze is playing Spike Milligan... Steve Pemberton (The League of Gentleman)is to play Harry Secombe...presumably because he's about the same weight, but I just can't see him as Harry Secombe; surely there are better plumper actors out there than him? The inclusion of Emilia Fox AND Emily Watson in a cast is enough to put me off it anyway. And I only went to have a look at who would be playing Graham Stark but they haven't got anybody listed as him...

Liked
    0 times
    Dear God !! How sad

On the basis that (in most cases) actors are playing the part of someone or somebody you must struggle watching anything or indeed anyone on TV or cinema.

It would seem to be that you are only able to accept them if they haven't been for tea!.

Get a grip!!!, it's only a film for goodness sake.

Liked
    0 times
    PS

Oh and also Emily Watson is (in my humble opinion)

a wonderful actress.

Only my opinion of course, but I can defend it (of course)

Russ

Liked
    0 times
    On the basis that (in most cases) actors are playing the part of someone or somebody you must struggle watching anything or indeed anyone on TV or cinema.
    Russ, I don't struggle to watch 'anything or indeed anyone on TV or cinema' because the majority of films/TV programmes involve actors playing fictional characters which are built up through script and performance. This is not what I was referring to - I don't have a problem with people acting or believing in their characterisations!

What I said was that I personally am not so keen on biopics where people are playing actual people because their performances then usually have to incorporate some sort of impression/impersonation/mimicry which is not very easy to pull off and so, for me, often doesn't work. My dismay at some of the casting of the Peter Sellers film is because I don't think that those cast in certain parts will be capable of capturing the essence of whom they are playing - of course they could prove me wrong - but if they don't the film could fall very flat indeed.

Sorry if my dismissal of Emily Watson annoyed you, but I'm sure that there are actors which make you instantly reach for the 'off' button, and she has that effect on me I'm afraid.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    The initial posting was about Britt Ekland taking legal action....it seems to me that in a lot of cases when people are "offended"(particularly famous ones) to the content of biopics,they usually are not as famous as they once were and are perhaps looking for some new notoriety.

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    To The Screen at Reigate this afternoon to see The Life and Death of Peter Sellers (2004) ....any views on this film?

['Bit dark in 'ere, innit?]

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    As a huge Seller's fan I enjoyed it. Geoffrey Rush in certain scenes was eerily virtually identical to the late star. Uncanny. Charlize Theron was also excellent as Britt Eckland. Strangely enough in America it was only shown on TV, I think.

For anyone who liked PS it's a must.

Liked
    151 times
    I'll probably wait til it appears on the box.

Wasn't it a HBO film? If so does it feel like a 'tv film' rather than feature?

Liked
    0 times
    I WORKED ON THIS FILM AS A SUPPORTING ARTIST IN THE DR.STRANGELOVE/GENERALS ROUND THE WAR TABLE SCENE. IT WAS AMAZING TO SEE RUSH AS SELLERS.IT WAS AS IF SELLERS WAS REALLY THERE.

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Agreed with the comments praising Rush's performance, I was not at all taken with the gimmicky device of having Rush/Sellers "transformed" into other characters. This jarred and spoiled the film in my view, still well worth catching for any Sellers fans though.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Didn't the BBC have a hand in this film as well?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    I finally saw this, just tonight. I am a huge Peter Sellers fan. And it was very uncannny, Geoffrey Rush was Peter Sellers. He did a brilliant job. Man, Sellers was really a sad troubled man, how somebody who had so much talent and seemed to have the world on a string could have such a crappy life is just sad.

I always thought he finally found himself in Being There. How unfortunate, he died so young, 54 is hardly being there at all.

It was an HBO film, but I thought it was really well done.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Rush is a fine actor and he was great in this film.

Liked
    144 times
    ............Peter Sellers

Seen it ?

Liked
    144 times
    Geoffrey Rush is one of the best, E.Watson and S.Fry were excellent too, and also the actor who played B.E (Blake Edwards, not Britt Ekland !), I don't know his name...

G.Rush was also great in Tailor of Panama, Quills, Lantana....

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    I really enjoyed it. Thought Geoffrey Rush gave an inspired performance. Like Moonfleet I thought he gave a great performance in the Tailor Of Panama.

Blake Edwards..............John Lithgow?

Liked
    144 times
    Hello Chevyman

Yes, it's John Lightgow, and also in Taylor of Panama, I can't remember the name of the actor who played his south-american friend (...who also is "The General"in Boorman's )....

Very good performance too.

M.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast