Liked
    0 times
    I was speaking yesterday to the director Alvin Rakoff (The Comedy Man and Peter Sellers' Hoffman) and he told me he would give his high teeth to track down copies of his work on The Seekers - The Heretics, The Idealists, The Materialists transmitted in the early sixties on consecutive Sundays. Apparently these were the first 3 plays to be broadcast on BBC2, I think in 1960 (?). Can anyone tell me if these still exist or if anyone has copies that they would be willing to share with Mr Rakoff. All help gratfully appreciated -

Liked
    0 times
    BBC2 first went on the air in April, 1964, as 625 line, black and white transmissions. So the programmes must have been shown after that date.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by DAVID RAYNER@Feb 17 2005, 08:06 PM

BBC2 first went on the air in April, 1964, as 625 line, black and white transmissions. So the programmes must have been shown after that date.

<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

The exact broadcast dates were:

3 May 1964 - The Heretics

10 May 1964 - The Idealists

17 May 1964 - The Materialists

Unfortunately, I can also confirm that no copies are held by the National Film and Television Archive. Presumably Mr Rakoff has already checked with the BBC - so I'm afraid it looks highly likely that they no longer exist, especially if they were recorded on videotape rather than film. The BBC's attitude towards preserving its heritage in the 1960s has been bemoaned too many times for me to rehash it here!

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetherby Pond View Post
    Unfortunately, I can also confirm that no copies are held by the National Film and Television Archive. Presumably Mr Rakoff has already checked with the BBC - so I'm afraid it looks highly likely that they no longer exist, especially if they were recorded on videotape rather than film.
    I happened to find this old thread while searching for one concerning the pop group The Seekers, aptly enough. Happily, this forgotten trilogy does exist in the archives, according to LostShows. Have the episodes been discovered since that last post? Despite this good news, it's un-likely we'll see them because I can't think of any Thirty-Minute Theatre plays that are on DVD.

From The Stage, 30th April 1964:

Last edited by cornershop15; 15-03-14 at 05:43 PM.