Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scrooge (1951)

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM
    Yes indeed Carol Marsh and Olga Edwardes are still with us but neither were keen to be interviewed.

The commentary might still be on the cards. I never found out who the Cratchit daughters were. It does seem odd that the boys were credited and the girls not.
    Good to hear they are still with us.

Out of curiosity, did you speak directly to those two when you were inquiring about an interview, or to representatives? I certainly find it interesting that people such as these seem to fall through the cracks as the years go by. And it's a shame they have turned down the interview request, because it would be neat to hear what they had to say.

Liked
    0 times
    The colourised version was shown on Channel 5tv on Xmas Day 1998. The very thought of tampering with the film filled me with horror but I must say I was impressed with the results and gave the impression of how the film would've looked had it been made in colour in the first place. Congratulations to all concerned. I enjoyed it very much when viewed on an early '70s hybrid colour set.

Should it be issued on DVD a double pack featuring the original black and white film as produced and the colourised version would be nice.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    After all of these films are colorized, I hope the programmers will start doing CGI-replacements, wiping out some of the original actors and replacing them with modern ones. Sims replaced by Hugh Grant perhaps? I'm sure the colorization fans and supporters will love this technology, too.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM
    Yes indeed Carol Marsh and Olga Edwardes are still with us but neither were keen to be interviewed.

Us Hammer fans were amazed when Carol Marsh was rolled out as the extra special surprise guest at HAMMER AT BRAY III the other Saturday. A marvellous surprise, and quite a coup it would seem.

Smudge

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    Us Hammer fans were amazed when Carol Marsh was rolled out as the extra special surprise guest at HAMMER AT BRAY III the other Saturday. A marvellous surprise, and quite a coup it would seem.

Smudge
    Great news that Carol Marsh attended HAMMER AT BRAY III. I hope that she was fit and well.

Regards

Phil Turner

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Turner
    Great news that Carol Marsh attended HAMMER AT BRAY III. I hope that she was fit and well.

Regards

Phil Turner
    I didn't see her entrance or departure but she seemed fine as she sat out on the lawns, signing. There were considerable queues for her signature (somewhat understandably) and she was most concerned about the lengths of time that people had been standing in the full sun.

She had a good chat with everyone who arrived in front of her and was still remarkably sharp, speaking of days when she entered the industry via the Rank Charm School. They, it seemed, considered her one of their less charming young girls by way of her looks. Didn't stop them profiting by loaning her out almost as soon as they had her under contract though....

Smudge

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I haven't watched Scrooge, since seeing it as a child in 1951/2. Somehow I always seemed to miss it when shown on TV. At last, over Christmas, I managed to tape the film.

Today, I have just quickly checked my recording, and was astounded to note that the version shown was colourised, something I had no knowledge as ever being made.

I surfed the net to find details of this colour version, and read a considerable number of extremely bad reviews. I then visited film discussion board at Digital Spy and spotted some postings about the version shown at Christmas. It appears that many members found their recorded version ran for only 60mins, and then it cut out. Strangely my tape ran the full 1hr 40 mins with adverts. It seems that an unsheduled news report messed up the recordings. Did anyone on Britmovie have a problem? Was videoplus to blame (my recording was set manually)?

I would also like to hear Britmovie members views of the colourised version, and any facts about its making, especially the year it was made.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie
    I haven't watched Scrooge, since seeing it as a child in 1951/2. Somehow I always seemed to miss it when shown on TV. At last, over Christmas, I managed to tape the film.

Today, I have just quickly checked my recording, and was astounded to note that the version shown was colourised, something I had no knowledge as ever being made.

I surfed the net to find details of this colour version, and read a considerable number of extremely bad reviews. I then visited film discussion board at Digital Spy and spotted some postings about the version shown at Christmas. It appears that many members found their recorded version ran for only 60mins, and then it cut out. Strangely my tape ran the full 1hr 40 mins with adverts. It seems that an unsheduled news report messed up the recordings. Did anyone on Britmovie have a problem? Was videoplus to blame (my recording was set manually)?

I would also like to hear Britmovie members views of the colourised version, and any facts about its making, especially the year it was made.

We watched it 'live' and the film played right through. It was the colourised version and IMHO it was awful. I don't know if they colourised an iffy print because it was scratchy and had muffled sound. It also looked as if it had been edited in places. I had started to tape it but switched it off because I want a 'proper' copy. My son (4yrs) hadn't seen it before and loved the film and was enchanted and frightened by the ghostly goings on. I wonder how much hewould have enjoyed the 'proper' version.

Bats.

Liked
    151 times
    I presume the colourized version is another piece of cinema vandalism courtesy of Ted Turner.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    We watched it 'live' and the film played right through. It was the colourised version and IMHO it was awful. I don't know if they colourised an iffy print because it was scratchy and had muffled sound. It also looked as if it had been edited in places. I had started to tape it but switched it off because I want a 'proper' copy. My son (4yrs) hadn't seen it before and loved the film and was enchanted and frightened by the ghostly goings on. I wonder how much hewould have enjoyed the 'proper' version.

Bats.

name='DB7']I presume the colourized version is another piece of cinema vandalism courtesy of Ted Turner.

Tend to agree with you all. If they have to colourize why do so on such a shabby print. The money would have been far better spent on restoring the original. I find the with colourized copies even if you switch to b/w on your set you can still see the film has been doctored.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    The colourized version is an absolute travesty. I saw it a few years ago, and was disappointed in the film. Luckily, I persevered and watched the black-and-white version, and realized it was the colour that had ruined it for me. As someone else mentioned, the film was lit for b/w. The colourization strips it of all its atmosphere.

Also, I think it was a pretty early example of colourization. Although I'm not generally in favour of colourization, it has been done much better than this. See the recent R1 release of It's a Wonderful Life, for example. It's actually quite sumptuous - It's a Wonderful Life - Jimmy Stewart

Senior Member Country: UK image45's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I used to have both the coloured version and original Black & White on VHS however once the wonderful DVD versions in Black & White started to appear I stayed loyal to the original way of viewing this 1951 master piece and have never regretted doing so. I watch it ever Christmas with out fail, as it has the unique ability to make me laugh and cry all at the same time. Not many programmes and films have this affect on me like!

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    By the way, did anyone notice that Scrooge's apprentice was Anthony Wager aka Pip in Great Expectations?

Senior Member Country: England aaron's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    This is simply a classic - Kathleen Harrison's 'Mrs Dilber' almost surpasses even the great Mr Sim himself. For the trainspotters, watch out for the 'man in the mirror' whilst Scrooge dances around on Christmas morning... (one of the crew in the shot)

And yes, it must be viewed in black and white!!!

Liked
    0 times
    I totally agree - it is far more atmospheric in B&W - the colour cheapened it and I was really disappointed my children didn't get to see the 'proper' version that I'd been raving on about!

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi All

Just to say that the wonderful Christmas film 'Scrooge' with Alastair Sim is on Channel 5 at 4pm this afternoon.

In my humble opinion I think this is the best version of 'A Christmas Carol' and Alastair Sim was the perfect Scrooge!

I intend to watch it and sob pleasurably all the way through!!

Enjoy!!

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Don't C5 always show the colourised version?

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Don't C5 always show the colourised version?
    Yep - but when I get home (which will be the standard time as the Tories in the office have decided nobody can leave early (except them of course) I will be watching the black and white version.

Member Country: England porlock's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    It is my favourite version of "A Christmas Carol" and I think one of the best cinema films to come out of the famously small Nettlefold Studios in Walton-on-Thames.

Senior Member Country: UK RogerThornhill's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times
    I watched it a long time ago and from what I remember it seemed rather gloomy and depressing. I bought a DVD copy some years ago so I will watch it some time and see what I think of it now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast