Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scrooge (1951)

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i watched it today like i do every year along with the patrick stewart,michael hordern and basil rathbone versions-the sim version is the best by far!

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens is such a wonderfully written story that it really would take an awfully incompetant director, crew and cast to make a mess of it. I've seen many versions of it and they've all been very good. The colorised version of Scrooge with Alistair Sim...probably colorised thirty years ago when the technology was not as far advanced as it is now...is absolutely dreadful and should be avoided at all costs. Having no idea what the original colours may have been, the colorisers make it look as garish as possible, giving Scrooge a green coat and, if I remember correctly, a yellow scarf. And it's no use turning the colour down on your set while you're watching it, as it just looks a blurry, floury mess. However, there is a beautifully restored DVD of the black and white version available.

Liked
    100 times
    i think the colourised version resembles the hand painted first edition books but i'm certain that the effect is accidental!

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens is such a wonderfully written story that it really would take an awfully incompetant director, crew and cast to make a mess of it. I've seen many versions of it and they've all been very good. The colorised version of Scrooge with Alistair Sim...probably colorised thirty years ago when the technology was not as far advanced as it is now...is absolutely dreadful and should be avoided at all costs. Having no idea what the original colours may have been, the colorisers make it look as garish as possible, giving Scrooge a green coat and, if I remember correctly, a yellow scarf. And it's no use turning the colour down on your set while you're watching it, as it just looks a blurry, floury mess. However, there is a beautifully restored DVD of the black and white version available.
    here here well said Mr DBF
    I always thought it was shot on nitrate as well, maybe you will know?
    Last edited by Arfur Teacake; 24-12-10 at 09:44 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Arfur. If only Channel 5 would desist from showing the colorised version every Christmas. Maybe they think no one will watch a programme unless it's in colour. All black and white films should be shown in black and white, as they were made to be seen.

Liked
    98 times
    Here is a frame from the remastered Blue Ray disc of Scrooge released about a year ago. A vast improvement on the old Channel 5 copy.

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    It is my favourite too, though I refuse to watch the colourised version. I actually think the muppet version is great too and pushes the 1951 all the way in charm....who could better Sim in this role, ever?
    'Love to know what Dickens' would say!

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    I saved a viewing of the Blu Ray for later on today.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    A beautifully made film and Alastair Sim was the definitive Scrooge.

There was also a 1972 animated version with the voices of Sim and Michael Hordern and narration by Micheal Redgrave. It is excellent.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    It's my favorite version, too. I'll have to try and get a copy from the local library. I saw it when I was a little girl and Alistair turns in an unforgettable performance as Scrooge.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, I have to say I enjoyed it...colour or no colour!! As usual I sobbed my heart out in the bit where Tiny Tim died

I know what you all mean though; it was made in B/W and should be kept like that!!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I like the Sim version though George C Scott's is my favourite. Superb cast too.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
    I like the Sim version though George C Scott's is my favourite. Superb cast too.
    I thought Scott was a little too reserved and ordinary, but he certainly had presence and the production was quite good. And I agree - the cast is excellent: Edward Woodward, David Warner, Angela Pleasence and Susannah York as the most beautiful and fascinating Mrs. Cratchit ever imagined.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Marvellous even in colour, even the Reginald Owen version as been colorised, but I havent got a copy of this yet !

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by philip hindley View Post
    Marvellous even in colour, even the Reginald Owen version as been colorised, but I havent got a copy of this yet !
    There's a colorised Seymour Hicks version too.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Ah maybe im thinking of that one.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    the cast is excellent: Edward Woodward, David Warner, Angela Pleasence and Susannah York as the most beautiful and fascinating Mrs. Cratchit ever imagined.
    Roger Rees was excellent as Scott's nephew. Also good to see Lucy Gutteridge and the gorgeous Joanne Whalley too.

Shot on location in Scroogebury...... I mean, Shrewsbury.

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    I thought Scott was a little too reserved and ordinary, but he certainly had presence and the production was quite good. And I agree - the cast is excellent: Edward Woodward, David Warner, Angela Pleasence and Susannah York as the most beautiful and fascinating Mrs. Cratchit ever imagined.
    I liked the George C. Scott version a lot - the real looker of the piece is surely the gorgeous Caroline Langrishe as the wife of Scrooge's nephew.

Best version of all for me is the animated version from the early 70s with the voices of Alastair Sim and Michael Hordern and narrated by Michael Redgrave. It utilised original Victorian woodcuts to provide the backgrounds to some scenes, giving an authentic, Dickensian feel to the film. Brilliant.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Everyone keeps talking about this version with the woodcuts! I really want to see it!

The Hordern version done for the BBC in the mid-70s is good as well. He was a perfect Scrooge.

This year I watched the Scott, the Sim, and the Frasier musical (in the hope it might have been better than when I first saw it. It isn't).

Liked
    100 times
    i like the michael hordern version,but ( apart from the fact horderns stature is far from one who eats gruel in order to save money) the BBC were certainly 'scrooge' like with regards to budget! didi-what is this 'woodcut' version you refer to?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast